Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll call them if I have time on Monday. 12 hour shifts make life difficult sometimes.

I used to take my 80 to him, and he always had BMW's in and out of that shop almost exclusively. I was the only Toyota that went to him. He kept trying to convince me to get rid of it for an older 3 series or 5 series. Hopefully still has the same mechanics

I used to take my 80 to him, and he always had BMW's in and out of that shop almost exclusively. I was the only Toyota that went to him. He kept trying to convince me to get rid of it for an older 3 series or 5 series. Hopefully still has the same mechanics
Was it older BMWs or newer? Mine is a 2014. I've got a couple parts that need to be installed and then whatever is messed up.

Was it older BMWs or newer? Mine is a 2014. I've got a couple parts that need to be installed and then whatever is messed up.

The lot. He worked on old and new. A lot of new since he had a good client base

I'm tired of rounding 10mm line fittings with cheap line wrenches.

What is the best 10mm line wrench out there???

I'm talking about some "Supreme Skills" machinist kind of tools.

Alternatively I could just keep chopping off the fittings and replacing them, but that's getting old!

I got the clutch replaced in the new to the family Matrix. Now time for an inspection. Noticed today it has tinted windows I hope it passes with them.

I have been summoned! PM me if you’d like. I’m happy to take a look at your BMW. I have 6+ years as a BMW technician I might be able to help you out. -Matt
That's the Matt I was referring to.

As you guys know, I’m selling my 80. I’ve downgraded my comforts to a 1990 HZJ73.
It was in the DC area the past 3 yrs so you may have seen it around. I’m getting used to RHD. It’s not practical but doable for a daily driver and I’ve gotten more comfortable driving it (no fast food). It has a 1HZ engine with a 4spd auto; slow but fast enough to keep up. The seller moved to CT so I drove a rental car out there one way, used my 20% TLCA discount at a Red Roof Inn (lol), and drove it back. I need to fix a few things to pass MD inspection. I plan to daily drive it and wheel it.

Last edited:
He is VERY social and will tell you all about them, even let you try one out. He does a lot with veteran groups and disabled orgs to help get people outdoors hunting, fishing or just out in nature with the maxtrax. They used to sell high end diesel pick up trucks there for years and they do this now.
Yeah, I've thought about stopping by that place every time I go past, but never seem to have time to stop when they are open.

Those Mattracks are an interesting idea.

As you guys know, I’m selling my 80. I’ve downgraded my comforts to a 1990 HZJ73.
It was in the DC area the past 3 yrs so you may have seen it around. I’m getting used to RHD. It’s not practical but doable for a daily driver and I’ve gotten more comfortable driving it (no fast food). It has a 1HZ engine with a 4spd auto; slow but fast enough to keep up. The seller moved to CT so I drove a rental car out there one way, used my 20% TLCA discount at a Red Roof Inn (lol), and drove it back. I need to fix a few things to pass MD inspection. I plan to daily drive it and wheel it.

View attachment 2013424

View attachment 2013426

View attachment 2013427
Nice ride!
Ditch the automatic and add a turbo and you'll be 1/2 way there.

I got 4 rotors and 2 calipers for the 80 today, so I'll be at Ft. Belvoir tomorrow morning for the install. Anyone bored on a Thursday morning?

I got 4 rotors and 2 calipers for the 80 today, so I'll be at Ft. Belvoir tomorrow morning for the install. Anyone bored on a Thursday morning?

94YotaGuy & dbug, I wanted to ask you guys about inspections in VA and MD. How extensive are they, are they annual, and do you also have emissions testing? Just curious, Colorado has emissions testing only in the 6 counties surrounding Denver but no safety compliance stuff; I think we might have prior to the eighties but not sure. Thanks guys. DBug, I love your truck! that is nice! It would be a little rough to get used to shifting with my left arm, especially at my age, (62)

94YotaGuy & dbug, I wanted to ask you guys about inspections in VA and MD. How extensive are they, are they annual, and do you also have emissions testing? Just curious, Colorado has emissions testing only in the 6 counties surrounding Denver but no safety compliance stuff; I think we might have prior to the eighties but not sure. Thanks guys. DBug, I love your truck! that is nice! It would be a little rough to get used to shifting with my left arm, especially at my age, (62)
This is the first time I've had to get an inspection done here. It was pretty short, seems like they check lights, make sure it's not falling apart, as well as the tires, windshield, and brakes. My brakes failed, but they were pretty bad @Stumpalama can verify that they needed to be replaced 8 months ago. My Land Cruiser is 25 years old, so no emissions necessary. They didn't even mention the LED cubes on my bumper that aren't covered.

I see, Thank you for the quick reply, Saying hello from out west. Currently I have my valve cover off my lx450, (leaking), cleaning the oil off my engine, replacing the rubber seals for the spark plug tubes while I have it off. I've also been buying oem stuff (hoarding) lol because a lot of it has been showing NLA of late damn it! I bought every oem bulb I could get for the instrument panel and the console. It is going to be a bear pulling the dash to put new bulbs in, this will be my first experience doing so; and slowly restoring an FJ60 back to factory spec, or as close as I can. Anyway, saying hello from Colorado

Thanks!

A lot of folks do historic tags if the vehicle is old enough and if you register it as historic, there is no inspection. But! you can’t daily drive it and there are limitations to how much you can drive it and where; You can’t drive it to work, school, etc... MD Inspections are a one time thing before registering and emissions are every 2yrs or so unless it is 25yrs or older. I think?

The po had it registered in DC but he didn’t get it inspected or need emissions done. I don’t know if it was registered as an antique?
I paid 90$ for inspection. It’s all electronic now so when you pass, it goes directly to the MVA.

Things that failed were:
Front leaf spring bushings
All 4 Rotors
Front L shock

I have 30 days to fix these items and have temporary tags until it passes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom