Builds POTM - March, 2014 - Javelina By Pablo Cruise (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pig Comes Home

At this time Clarence had done all for me that he could. They needed the shop space back. There would be no time to put every thing back together down at the Shop. Pig was coming home, with a million boxes and bags of parts inside that I would put together at home. We would put the seats in and zip the cargo windows in, but that was it.

This marked a change in the project for me for a few reasons. My wife was glad that I was no longer driving down to CO Springs every Saturday, and there were plenty of weekend catch up things to do and enjoy. At home I could work on Pig when I wanted, but there were no plans made with another, no accountability to show up at a certain time. We brought her home on 10/30/10 - a little over a year from when I drove her down under her own power. This meant that Halloween, Birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and cold weather would all be factors in when I would get to work on Pig again...
Pig Coming Home 014.jpg
Pig Coming Home 013.jpg
Pig Comes Home Oct 2010 006.jpg
Pig Comes Home Oct 2010 007.jpg
Pig Comes Home Oct 2010 013.jpg

Last edited:
Glad I stopped in the 55 section. Great work TJ, glad to see the writeup and get more of the story

...via IH8MUD app

Sounds good. I've enjoyed reading about your journey.

Glad I stopped in the 55 section. Great work TJ, glad to see the writeup and get more of the story

...via IH8MUD app

Thanks guys, I hope to get back into the groove. The software change, plus some changes at work have kept me away from MUD for a while...

Happy Easter Pigs!

I hope everyone has a great day today.

Back to the story of how this Pig came back to life...

After the paint was finished, I was greatly relieved. But now the work of putting everything back on the Pig is just starting!

So I thought I would start at the back and put things back on...

Pig Coming Home 003.jpg

Rear Reflectors
Attachments seem to be a little trickier in this software than the old... I think for now I am not going to worry about the duplicate image.

Do you like the fly on the reverse light? I heard that Goop hand cleaner is good for restoring and preserving rubber, so I used that on the rubber on the reverse lights. I was very pleased with how they came out!

The rear marker reflector looked pretty scuffed/faded, so I searched (on here) for options and found there are a few nice repro options that fit well, but they lack the little detent to lock in place on the stainless ring. I found sets at NAPA.
7-7-12 002.jpg
7-7-12 004.jpg
7-7-12 005.jpg
7-7-12 006.jpg

7-7-12 003.jpg

Tailgate Lock Cylinder Gasket
I knew the tailgate was going to be a challenge to put back together, so I thought I may as well start there.

When I was taking the tailgate apart I realized that the gasket between the lock cylinder and the tailgate was toast. I would have to figure out a solution. Since the lock cylinder needs to go into the tailgate pretty much before everything else, I needed to find this solution before moving forward.

One day I was washing my little Civic and realized it had a very similar lock cylinder sticking through the tailgate. Hmm... So I ordered up the Honda part and liked the way it fit the opening on the tailgate. It was too snug on the lock cylinder, so I had to ream out the ID of the gasket. I used files and sandpaper until the cylinder would fit in the gasket and the gasket would fit in the opening. I am proud of this little solution - thanks Honda!

8-25-11 005.jpg
8-25-11 006.jpg
11-23-11 001.jpg

Last edited:
Tailgate Wiring Junction Block
Those wires from the tailgate lock cylinder were going to need something to attach to as the original wire junction was toast!

Luckily this was one piece Toyota still stocks.

MVC-570F.JPG

MVC-602F.JPG

9-4-11 008.jpg

Last edited:
Tailgate Handle Gasket
The tailgate handle was up next in the sequence of how the tailgate goes back together.

This presented the next challenge as the gasket that went between the handle and the tailgate was toast. I realized the gasket had about the same thickness as a bicycle inner tube (I think I made this discovery when I was fixing yet another flat.). The local bike store had a whole bin of dead tubes for recycle that I could pick through for size and thickness of the rubber. I got a tube and went home to start creating my solution...

At first I had a hard time visualizing the full reach and extent of the original, so my first attempt gave way to another draft once I understood the full scope of the coverage needed. This was somewhat of a PITA, as I needed a hole punch for the bolt holes and a very small, sharp scissors to make the cut close enough that the gasket does not stick out too much from under the handle.

I think this worked out well, sorry the final picture is not great lighting. I'll stick the picture from the magazine in there as well.

9-4-11 003.jpg
Tailgate Handle Gasket.jpg
Tailgate Handle Gasket - FINAL.jpg
9-4-11 004.jpg
IMG_1218.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom