Builds POTM - March, 2014 - Javelina By Pablo Cruise (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tailgate lift mechanism
Pablo,

Great pictures and nothing boring about them. In your next installment, let us know what you did to the rod and it's cradle, to stop future rust. I'm thinking about powder coating the rod, then covering it in light coat of Super lube. Just thinking at this point.

Keep it coming, I'm enjoying every bit.

Okay, thanks Ron for letting me know I am not boring you all. I am home sick from work yesterday and today, but today had things I had to get done, so I'll see if I an bang out a few more updates.

For the lift mehanism, all we did was sand off all the surface rust and paint everything, inside and out. The Super Lube would have been a good idea! Although I have no desire to take that over back off. That was a pain.

I did find my scans from the FSM on the lift mechanism. Note the part where they use the block of wood to get things in place, this is a good idea...

Tailgate Lift Mechanism.jpg
Tailgate Lift Mechanism 001.jpg
Tailgate Lift Mechanism 002.jpg
Tailgate Lift Mechanism 003.jpg

Last edited:
Weatherstripping
I took note of the window whisker strips and the associated fasteners.
The sun had really dried these out to the point that the felt had disintegrated in areas. I was wondering what to do about these pieces, so I ordered some strips from Restoration Specialties. By the time I finished, I would modify this plan somewhat. More on that later...

MVC-515F.JPG
MVC-516F.JPG
MVC-517F.JPG
MVC-520F.JPG

Last edited:
Fixed Rear Window
The rear door fixed windows... What can I say about these?
They are a pain!
Be careful of the 2 little screws that secure the divider bar to the top of the door frame. They are pretty small, and the heads look like they could round out easily.
In the course of taking the passenger door apart to get the glass out, the fixed window glass just shattered. WTF?!? Luckily Ige - @nuclearlemon - had a spare and hooked a brother up. Thanks Ige!

My rubber was dry and cracked, so there was no saving it. I ended up getting the Slo Cruisers rubber for these. I appreciate all that John has done to provide these to us, but if my factory rubber were salvageable, I would have been better off reconditioning it.

MVC-518F.JPG
MVC-519F.JPG

Last edited:
Tailgate Details
A few pics of the tailgate pieces to make sure I could put everything back together correctly.

The wire junction in the tailgate was disintegrating badly when I took the tailgate apart. Toyota still had these available when I put things back together!

MVC-571F.JPG
MVC-572F.JPG
MVC-573F.JPG
MVC-574F.JPG
MVC-575F.JPG

Last edited:
Door Mechanisms
And then a few shots of the front door mechanisms...

If I can emphasize anything, buy a lot of little zip-loc baggies and label EVERYTHING! I was putting door mechanisms back together and the baggies were labeled 2010...

MVC-649F.JPG
MVC-650F.JPG
MVC-651F.JPG
MVC-652F.JPG

Last edited:
Bare Metal Image
At this point, everything was off the Pig, and we took her to bare metal.

I began to feel apprehension. Would I ever be able to get her back together???

MVC-615F.JPG
MVC-616F.JPG

Last edited:
2F Hood
About this time James, Rescue Wagon, let me know he was selling off some Cruiser parts, including the 2F hood from Ben's Pig. He asked me if I wanted it? Heck yeah!

So I let the painter know that we would have an extra hood to paint. How to get it down from Cheyenne to CO Springs? On the top of my mighty Civic of course!

The hood was not perfect. Remember, Ben's Pig flopped over hard. We had some more work to do...

MVC-614F.JPG
MVC-628F.JPG
MVC-626F.JPG
MVC-627F.JPG

Last edited:
Paint
After untold hours of sanding, sanding and more sanding, the time came to buy paint! Of course I thought long and hard about painting the Pig with Chrysler's High Impact Panther Pink. I talked to the painter about this and he has heard enough goofy ideas in his time that he did not render his opinion one way or the other.

In the end, I went with Nebula Green and Cygnus White.

Color on Pig! 017.jpg
Color on Pig! 018.jpg
Color on Pig! 020.jpg
Color on Pig! 021.jpg
Color on Pig! 019.jpg

Last edited:
Paint
After degreasing, wiping down and masking, into the booth she goes!

I watched, amazed, as color shot out of the gun onto my Pig. I could finally see some tangible results of all the sweat I had poured into the project. First came the base coat of color, then the clear coat.

Wow!

Color on Pig! 016.jpg
Color on Pig! 026.jpg
Color on Pig! 027.jpg
Color on Pig! 031.jpg
Color on Pig! 035.jpg

Last edited:
TJ...great write up. You've inspired me. Always intended to do this on my project but once it was done, got too busy enjoying the Frankencruiser to get started. I've owned five to make one...just passed off the last of the other rigs to Pugslybell.
We have what are pretty much twins as far as external appearances go. We should get them together sometime...perhaps Cruise Moab?
Fair warning, as you've already experienced. They're never "done."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom