Pole Barn Build Thread (Only took 30 years) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like you already have the jack shaft and torsion springs as a part of the door installation - seems like all you'd have to do is mount the motor on one side.

@1911 I like the look of the opener you have there and I will look into that as an option, thanks for posting them. I see you went with the sprayfoam option....How do you like it? I just had someone come by this morning to quote 3" of 2lb, closed cell, sprayfoam for the walls & ceiling. I have received some really high quotes for sprayfoam. Average has been about $2.85 / sqft.

My sprayfoam quote from this morning just came in......:mad::mad::mad:.

1579807965157.png

The building was only 22K.

@1911 I like the look of the opener you have there and I will look into that as an option, thanks for posting them. I see you went with the sprayfoam option....How do you like it? I just had someone come by this morning to quote 3" of 2lb, closed cell, sprayfoam for the walls & ceiling. I have received some really high quotes for sprayfoam. Average has been about $2.85 / sqft.

I don't remember what the spray foam cost; it was inside the price of the whole turnkey building, but I like it really well. I have 1" on the walls and ceiling of the entire structure, and 4" in all the walls and ceiling of the apartment in one end of the shop building. I sort of wish I had done more than 1", but our winters are very mild (summers hot though). The best part of the spray foam is that moisture does not condense on the inside. The apartment takes almost nothing to heat and cool, a small heat pump and only $90 of electricity in the hottest or coldest months.

My sprayfoam quote from this morning just came in......:mad::mad::mad:.

View attachment 2190532

The building was only 22K.

Bummer! It would sure be nice in your winter though.

What would it cost to do 1" just to keep the condensation off, and then put fiberglass bats on top of that?

Bummer! It would sure be nice in your winter though.

What would it cost to do 1" just to keep the condensation off, and then put fiberglass bats on top of that?
That is another idea....I will ask.

Working on the inside layout. Still have to add another door to the office and figure out the best location for the mezzanine stairs but I think it's all coming together nice.

ISO 2.JPG

ISO 1.JPG

I dont know anything about his company but the concept is something I have been looking at for my own barn in lieu of stairs/ladder.
I'll let you be the guinea pig:).
You also might want to rethink the air compressor on the second deck. There is a lot of noise and vibration there, and I'd be concerned about the deck becoming an amplifier.

Looks very good so far
Are you going to add a lift?
Bobmo

I dont know anything about his company but the concept is something I have been looking at for my own barn in lieu of stairs/ladder.
I'll let you be the guinea pig:).
You also might want to rethink the air compressor on the second deck. There is a lot of noise and vibration there, and I'd be concerned about the deck becoming an amplifier.

Looks very good so far
Are you going to add a lift?
Bobmo
Hi Bob, I have 18" thick pads for a 2-post lift once I have everything else in there, and if there is room. The lift would be nice but not a requirement, whereas ample work space is a requirement to get anything done. I will probably rearrange the shop half a dozen times until I get it to feel right, time will tell. That is an interesting idea on the lifting device but for $1800 I think I'll let someone else be the guinea pig this time around ;)

Barn updates.....the 6' x 30' front apron popped so they came and busted it out. I thought this was a good time to go bigger. Had it replaced with a 21' x 30' apron.

Seeing as the truck was here I added a 15' x 30' pad in the back for additional storage.

20200608_140735.jpg

20200608_202406.jpg

20200608_202348.jpg

20200608_202504.jpg

20200608_154238.jpg

One more step is done.....just bought 30 of these lights for mounting on the bottom of the trusses. 3 per side or 6 per truss and 5 trusses. He said it will be operating room bright inside. I said good because I have some serious 40 surgery to do! Supposedly these are the only LED lights out there that are (No RF) so they are not supposed to cause interference with cell phones, alarm systems, WiFi, etc...we'll see. The LED drivers are all high quality CREE made in the USA units.

Last edited:
Barn update......mezzanine construction is coming along. Had to stop work at 6pm yesterday due to heat and the fact that every muscle from the waist up was screaming for hazard pay.

20200731_105020.jpg

20200731_105030.jpg

20200731_105041.jpg

20200731_111525.jpg

20200731_111537.jpg

Continued

20200731_111650.jpg

20200731_142106.jpg

20200731_143340.jpg

20200731_170222.jpg

20200731_170225.jpg

Funny to see that you build first the barn and just after the floor.
In Europe we would have done the opposite .
First the floor , and after the barn on top of it .

Funny to see that you build first the barn and just after the floor.
In Europe we would have done the opposite .
First the floor , and after the barn on top of it .
Hi, in the beginning I looked into doing the floor first, then having the barn constructed on top of the new concrete but it is more expensive. Doing it like this requires a thickened edge concrete to support the weight if the building. Typical floor thickness is 5" and the thickened edge is recommended to be 16" x 16" resulting in more excavation, more forms, and more concrete. Concrete in my area is usually about $6.00 sq/ft at 5" thick.

Finished off frame work today. Only decking, steps, and safety railing left to go.

20200801_164710.jpg

20200801_164721.jpg

20200801_164741.jpg

20200801_164817.jpg

20200801_164829.jpg

Ok, decking complete....only stairs and railing to go. 8' clear ceiling on the bottom side and 6' clear on the top at the side walls. With the scissor trusses its more like 8' clear or better.

20200802_164222.jpg

Last edited:
Planning on anchoring the post to the slab?

Very jealous of the barn and mezz. Maybe put a small overhead crane up so you can pick heavy things up to the mezz.

Planning on anchoring the post to the slab?

Very jealous of the barn and mezz. Maybe put a small overhead crane up so you can pick heavy things up to the mezz.
Yes on the anchors. Picking up 2 pcs of 3 x 3 x 3/8" angle iron this week. The post is 4 pcs of 2 x 8 laminated with PL400 and 6" construction screws.

I was thinking about the hoist as well but I need to see if the truss designer will give me the load calcs to see what they will safely hold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom