Events/Trails Pig Party 2019 (2 Viewers)

What Type of Pig Party?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Filling in a bit more detail on the Relic Run Routes and Camps and other stuff out there to see:

Calleo CCC Camp:
Shade, a picnic table, and a stream running right next to it were pretty nice along with the scenery. No toilets.

Gold Hill:
BLM/Forest Service land just South of Gold Hill for some dispersed camping. No water, no toilets. Not sure I could find it, but Kurt could probably point it out on a map for us.

Lucin Sun Tunnels:
Wide open and spacious. Can be windy at times. No shade, no water, no toilets, no cover. As we will be traveling though one day prior to the Summer Solstice, there will most likely be others camping there as well but can be cool to see the sun rise and set through the aligned tunnels.

Devil's Playground Camp:
Approx. 23 miles North East of the Sun Tunnels along the Transcontinental Rail Road Trail. Surrounded by some pretty cool rock formations and set on a hill overlooking the broad expanse of the desert valley. Some shade, no water, no toilets.

City of Rocks National Reserve:
In 2018 we stayed at the Juniper Group Campsite. Shade, toilets, water, $Fee. There are two more group sites, as well as regular campsites but need to arrive early or reserve prior to arrival if possible. There is forest service or BLM land adjacent and to the North of the National Reserve with un-improved camp sites.

As @cruiseroutfit mentioned, there are vault toilets here and there along the Pony Express Route, but they are pretty much nonexistent North of Wendover until you hit Grouse Creek, City of Rocks, or Golden Spike National Historical Site.

Not sure if the group is interested, but on the Relic Run events there were some organized tours of points of interest along the routes - The Hoggup Pump Station, a Pony Express Station, Crystal Ball Cave, Historic Wendover Airfield. The pumps and Pony Express Station probably can't be duplicated, and I know that there was a good deal of ground work put in place long before our runs to pull them all off - but could look into the airfield if there is interest. Sounds like you guys like your camp time as well, and might enjoy the extra time in camp otherwise.

Lots of stuff to see along the way; Simpson Springs Pony Express Station, Fish Springs Wildlife Refuge, Wilson Health Springs, town of Gold Hill, Bonneville Salt Flats & Speedway, Lucin Sun Tunnels, townsites and cemeteries along the Transcontinental Rail Road trail, the Repulic of Zaqistan, City of Rocks, Golden Spike National Historical Site, Spiral Jetty...

Did we ever figure out if Wendover is an option?
Wendover is where they trained the B29 crews for dropping the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Looks like a good route. One option could be for those that don't want to head North to City of Rocks, to leave Lucin Camp and continue on the Transcontinental Rail Road to Golden Spike National Historical Site, Spiral Jetty and fuel at Corinne, UT & I-15 @ Brigham City.

Fuel Stop to Fuel Stop Milage Calcs:

***These are calculated going dirt road from Wendover to Lucin Sun Tunnels via Bonneville Salt Flats.

• KOA to Vernon, UT Fuel Stop 64 miles
  • Vernon, UT Fuel Stop to Wendover Fuel Stop 176 miles
  • Wendover Fuel Stop to Grouse Creek via dirt 89 miles
  • or Wendover Fuel Stop to Corinne, UT Fuel Stop 179 miles
  • Grouse Creek to Almo, ID Fuel Stop 41 miles
Here is a visual of some of the options discussed above; kind of a hybrid Relic Run 2016/2018 with alternate departure routes from Lucin.

View attachment 1997513

Wanted to check if these fuel distances match up with this map - pretty sure they do.
We can review tonight!

For those unfamiliar with traveling "out west", and more specifically Utah's West Desert its not the werewolves you have to watch out for. You will have a significant risk of coming into contact with Graboids as you travel through the back-country of Utah & Nevada and Southwestern Idaho. If any of you are unfamiliar with Graboids, their inherent hazards, and ways that you can protect or defend yourself, I recommend that you view a highly educational series of documentaries titled Tremmors volumes 1-4 which are available on VHS or DVD formats.
Tremors Documentary

:D

Wilson's Arch.
20190618_103555.jpg

20190618_104620.jpg

We are getting grub in Moab now. Heading to the museum area.

Pit stop at Green River. On our way again with Bonnie behind the wheel.

So when you arrive, park out back (north side) l, lock up and wal around to the door which is on the south side of the buding.

Making one of these is on my list, with or without the pig. Keep the great pics coming...:beer::beer:

So far I can report that the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum was a BLAST!

A must-see.

Big thank you to @cruiseroutfit and @cruiserdan for a fine time and some great BBQ. @Gordobe took care of the BBQ if I understood correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom