Passenger side front wheel had some "play". (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to get my truck inspected today (state of VA) and the inspection station rejected my vehicle because the passenger side front wheel had some "play". Sounds like wheel bearings? How can I remedy this? Thank you.

96 Landcruiser

How long since they have been serviced? The simple job; pull the drive plate and reset the preload. More involved; do a bearing repack and seal replacement.

Unfortunately, I don't believe they have been serviced. Is this a DIY? What are my chances of it being the "pull the drive plate and reset the preload" option?

Unfortunately, I don't believe they have been serviced. Is this a DIY? What are my chances of it being the "pull the drive plate and reset the preload" option?

It's time to get your hands dirty!

Unknown service and play has developed? It is likely your bearings are worn out. But you have to pull it apart and look. Wheel bearings need service with fresh grease. Old wheel bearings if they have been regularly serviced are likely still good. But new ones are not that expensive. Your call, but not something I would ignore.

Can anyone tell me what this entails and the costs? I am a DIY'er...... if it's not too bad. :)

Reactions: RFB
If all you plan on doing is replacing and repacking the front wheel bearings, then it's about $125 and 2 hours per side.

There's always the "while I'm in there factor"......

Does it need new rotors, brakes, Birfields, spindle bushing, birfield grease, knuckle ball seals, trunnion bearings......

It COULD also be trunnion bearings. If that's the case, then D. All of the above. 4-6 hours per side, about $250 unless you need Birfields. Then add $750.

Rotors: $150
Brakes: $65
Bearings: $125
Grease: $35
Paper Towels: $40
Brake Cleaner (solvent): $50
Birfields complete w/ axles: $750 (Slee RCV)

Lots of threads and videos on how. Get an FSM. Free on this forum.

Are you sure the play is wheel bearings? If it's knuckle bearings, the repair is more involved.

Check to see if your knuckle studs are tight.<<<<Immediate safety issue

A front end rebuild is kind of a rite of passage ordeal. If possible, hook up with some local cruiserheads and they will likely help you sort this out. None of the work is hard, but it's messy and time consuming. Very expensive work to "have done".

I would likely go through it completely. Then you are done for years.

Last edited:
Wow! Forgive my ignorance but I don't know the difference between bearings and knuckle bearings. I also saw that there are inner and outer bearings. Would both need to be replaced? What gives?

In short, you can do this. I was reluctant on my 60 and after successfully rebuilding them my confidence to wrench on my 80 is higher. Go through Landtank's write-up to see where you are and make sure you're safe and get through your inspection. Then start ordering parts, I've used Cruiser Outfitters to great success, and get ready to get dirty! HTH.

Scott

Front axle evaulation for FAQ

Front Axle Rebuild - For FAQ

srf18, thanks, for the encouragement. I believe I can do it too. I've done other things that were probably harder. Do by chance anyone have the link to Landtank's write-up. Just trying to save some time from searching. :)

Again, what is the difference between bearings and knuckle bearings? I also saw that there are inner and outer bearings. Do both need to be replaced?

The wheel bearings are inside your hub which is bolted to your rotor. If you change bearings it means changing races. It's easy to do but can be unnerving for the novice.

Knuckle/trunnion bearings themselves are also relatively easy but there is a lot of work to get to that point.

If you just need to get passed inspection then just reset the preload on the front bearings. It's just the hub flange which is 6 nuts, cones and washers. One clip then a 54mm socket. Can be done in minutes.

Then after inspection go back and do it right. As mentioned, this part is a right of passage. ;)

Can you PLEASE give me the actual steps I need to do just to pass inspection (reset the preload)? I'm good at following directions.

Put this under your Pillow:
BIRF.jpg

See Upper and Lower Trunion
See Inner and Outer Wheel Bearings?
See those nuts on both sides of Arrow on the Lower Trunion....Make sure they are tight

Can you PLEASE give me the actual steps I need to do just to pass inspection (reset the preload)? I'm good at following directions.

Landtank's FAQ link is the first one I posted. Go to page two and he gives a quick step-by-step on how to do it right. On page three he has a quick and dirty road side repair. The second FAQ link I posted has a ton of pictures and step-by-step of the exact same process should you need a visual.

I'd also order one of these for your axle rebuild. 80 Series Front Axle Reference Poster- 18"x27" It makes good Cruiser art when not in use.

Landtank's FAQ link is the first one I posted. Go to page two and he gives a quick step-by-step on how to do it right. On page three he has a quick and dirty road side repair. The second FAQ link I posted has a ton of pictures and step-by-step of the exact same process should you need a visual.

I'd also order one of these for your axle rebuild. 80 Series Front Axle Reference Poster- 18"x27" It makes good Cruiser art when not in use.

Agreed on all accounts ;)

I'm gonna say it...........

You all know what it is........

SEARCH.

Spoon Feed.jpg

We have given you the tools. Now you must do the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom