Passenger Rear Wheel Leaking Brake Fluid (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seven years ago I installed reman calipers and new brake pads all around and discovered today I have a leak. Roughly 25k and haven't had to replace pads yet. Haven't had a chance to investigate but wondering if there is any quality difference between the major auto parts store reman quality?

My guess is the calipers that were on it 7 years ago were OEM and likely lasted double what the reman units did. OEM Rear calipers are about $150 a corner from Ourisman. Well worth the peace of mind in my opinion.

Have you checked the lines (flexible and hard)? If the hoses are the original that would be at the top of the list.

Take a few photos and post them up.

Looks like a caliper leak and for some reason my new iPhone pictures are too big to post.

Reset the photo image file size and take some more photos??

Jack up the leaking side, remove the wheel, clean the caliper and lines off, let it dry, press on the brake pedal once (vehicle not moving), then take new photos??

Pics. Rubber hose is completely dry. I’ve never had a caliper leak before.
IMG_4490.jpeg
IMG_4489.jpeg
IMG_4488.jpeg

"wondering if there is any quality difference between the major auto parts store reman quality?"

IME, yes. One set from a National chain still had old grime in every crevice (which made me wonder how well they were reman'd) so returned them. Another set from a different chain had water inside the caliper, returned those. Some people however have reported good luck with NAPA Premium reman'd calipers. FWIW

I ended up going with Toyota Reman'd front Calipers and new Toyota rear calipers. Perfect.

Would be interesting to see photos of the leak source once the caliper is pulled off.

Trivia and hard to tell from the photo but the banjo bolt for the flexible hose does not appear to be OEM??

FZJ80 aftermarket rear caliper banjo bolt cropped.jpg

FZJ80 rear brake caliper banjo bolt installed.jpg

Let us know what you find, pics help.

Ordered a replacement caliper. Suspicious I have a leaking booster too as I started hearing a weird noise when applying the brakes on a cold day before warmup. Gotta vacuum test it.

Pumped the brakes and took this picture. Pretty interesting as the fluid is running down the brake disc on the opposite side of the caliper piston.
IMG_4499.jpeg

Take some photos looking inside the caliper as soon as you pull it off the rotor.

Well, I’m starting to think I might have an axle seal leak although one side of the caliper seal is suspect.
IMG_4523.jpeg
IMG_4522.jpeg

What does the fluid smell like? Gear oil has an unmistakable pungent odor, brake fluid has a mild odor.

Got photos of the rotor (removed) and the rear hub on that side??

Tried smelling it and nothing. Picked up my new caliper anyways and hopefully will get a chance to dig in tomorrow or this weekend. It also came with one of those different banjo bolts and a tag on it that says failure to use their banjo will void warranty.

The threads I've read about inner axle oil seal leak seem to always show a wet outer axle hub or oil residue on it which I didn't notice.

Pulled the brake disc. Pretty sure this is a gear oil leak. Strange thing is that when I pumped the brakes fluid started running down the disc and it looked like I had some brake fluid loss. Maybe 2 issues going on at once.
IMG_4544.jpeg
IMG_4545.jpeg
IMG_4546.jpeg
IMG_4547.jpeg

The inner tire oil spray was what first alerted me to the problem.
IMG_4549.jpeg

One possible option for the rear hub seal, particularly if your
spindle(s) has a significant wear groove. FWIW I recently installed a set of these on my 97 model but too early to give any feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom