Passenger Rear Wheel Leaking Brake Fluid (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Making progress with assembly. Reached 10 ft-lbs of bearing preload. Bleeding the caliper with a vacuum pump and gravity. I do my best to not press the brake pedal as it can take it out sooner on a bleed if the bore is worn. Seen this several times.
IMG_4620.jpeg
IMG_4621.jpeg
IMG_4623.jpeg
IMG_4627.jpeg
IMG_4626.jpeg

Axle shaft slid right in after using my kids SST & saying a prayer to move the elocker cog back in place.
IMG_4628.jpeg

You're moving too fast ;), if you want to pull the hub off, order new seals and wait, these Terrain Tamer hub seals were made for that situation. I just installed a set but too early to give feedback.

Watch the videos in the links:

Last edited:
Turns out the beauty of installing the oil seal backwards accidentally is that the groove it wore is nowhere near the correct oil seal location so I really don’t need a speedy sleeve, but I am still curious about the part number. As much as the terrain tamer seals look pretty cool, not at that point either.

Wrapping it up today and went to top her off with oil and could hear vacuum when I pulled the fill plug. Gotta investigate the vent tube. This may be the ultimate reason it blew.

Sure enough, the breather was stopped up. I did the flapper mod and all is good now.

In reviewing the flapper mod that makes the differential breather vent a 2-way valve from the one-way air only goes out stock style, is it possible it could introduce moisture and humidity causing the axle housing to corrode inside above the oil line? Or another thought is internal housing corrosion only caused by water contamination in the oil? @Mark W have you seen this problem before? So, wondering if there is another way to allow 2-way flow without the valve such as a bellow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom