80 series my burning smell only inside car (door lock actuator smoking) causing headlight failure (both issues on solely on passenger side) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 1994 Toyota 80 series, My first noticeable issue while on a road trip was failed headlights independently on the passenger side. I checked all the fuses, wiring and tested the lights with altenate power source they were working. So it must be issue with power to the socket.

A week later I could smell what I was convinced had to be burning brakes or transmission fluid solely inside the vehicle. I was stumped initially pondering what the burning smell source was after checking the engine bay, underneath the land cruiser, checking the brakes. Until my wife felt our rear passenger window button noticing it was hot to the touch. I checked the wiring to the button and it looked good no signs of melting or a short. Then upon further investigation I removed the door panel to find the door lock actuator smoking and 100% the source of the foul headache inducing smell. This was a aftermarket actuator I had installed. I informed the shop I purchased it from and we disconnected and removed the actuator. After this miraculously my passenger side headlights are working perfectly again.

The shop is honouring their warranty and putting in a new actuator today. I want to make sure this problem doesn’t happen again. I’m thinking a short must have happened or the door actuator is getting more power than it needs. I know it’s difficult to say with out being in person with an inspection and volt meter. Although does anyone have some insight as to the pinpointed culprit of this issue? Perhaps solely a faulty door actuator electrically shorting internally? Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom