ONSC's Cookin', Grillin', and Bacon thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not exactly cooking per se, but an interesting (and useful) food related activity we’ve recently taken up….freeze-drying.
5F79646A-27D6-4717-BC4A-47BB6CD23A90.jpeg

For about the price of good sized 12v fridge, we can now make unlimited amounts of lightweight, shelf stable foods that can pack much easier for extended trips.

Btw…freeze-dried candy is pretty interesting. I don’t really like skittles, but freeze-dried skittles are awesome.

With chuck roast being down to only $8.99/lb I figured I needed to take advantage of such a deal and buy a 4lb'er. Made some au gratin potatoes with ham and smoked gouda and some kind of fancy cheddar that costs too much...turned out great. The meat didn't turn out ideal but I worked the sauce hard enough to have nailed it for once.

IMG_5185.jpeg

@shellb do you have a pellet grill to compare? I love the convenience of my Weber pellet grill but an offset stick burner is what I see as the best ‘smoking’ setup.

@shellb do you have a pellet grill to compare? I love the convenience of my Weber pellet grill but an offset stick burner is what I see as the best ‘smoking’ setup.
It’s a good question…so I have both a pellet and an egg, plus this thing.

I’ll say it’s so far been the most involved, but I’m learning.

I think for long consistency I’m going pellet, for throwing 9 racks of ribs to host a party all day, I’m using this.

My egg is useless now. Doesn’t offer consistency, convenience or fun at this point.

Not going to lie, there is a bit of appeal about being a pit master in this one. Just not for a 12 hr smoke…

The only way I have been able to cook consistently tender delicious ribs is this…

- use St Louis cut as opposed to baby backs
- after bringing ribs to room temp and removing membrane, trimming and patting dry, I do a light season with salt/pepper/garlic mixture
- let them sit for 10-15 minutes and then do my dry bbq rub of choice
- smoke at 275* for 2ish hours, rotating racks every 30 minutes to ensure even cooking and spritzing with a mixture of apple juice/apple cider vinegar/water
- once the smoke color has set in I pull them and prepare for wrapping in foil. I do a double foil wrap with ribs meat side down, and a layer of butter/brown sugar/sauce of choice on each side.
- place them back on the smoker (or oven) at 275*, rotating and checking for doneness every 30-45 minutes. I cook till about 202* internal temp.
- once ‘done’ I pull them and let rest for 15 mins or so while I build a foil boat for each rib. Place them in the boat, cover in sauce of choice and sprinkle a light amount of your bbq rub on them
- back on the smoker for 20-30 minutes to let the sauce get sticky

Pull/slice/eat/coma

My annual reminder that if I was a hunter/gatherer, I'd be a LOT skinnier 🤣

A lot of fun dove hunting yesterday but not a lot of success... 3 birds was enough for appetizers for last night's dinner though

...and my daughter made homemade ice cream sandwiches
20220903_173510.jpg
20220903_174957.jpg
20220903_181917.jpg

Been a pizza week. Cheap quick and easy has been the key but would like to make my own dough again soon…. Or have a try at the cauliflower. Last time I tried one it turned out more like focaccia but had no complaints on that note either.

E23F0C7C-4599-49F1-8E36-114EDBFC851F.jpeg

C6DA58CC-36A6-4C21-B898-AAE8626233EC.jpeg

C50EF06F-D1E0-4780-95AC-79A1EC8B08B1.jpeg

Super easy salad and one of my faves.

1 can black beans- rinsed and drained
1 small can corn rinsed and drained
1-2 jalepeno fine chopped (or other hot pepper)
1 small bell pepper (1/2 large pepper)
1/2 red onion fine chopped
1 Roma tomato diced
1-2 cloves garlic pressed
2t cumin
1t salt
1t pepper
1T hot sauce
Juice of 1 lime
Cilantro chopped
Splash of olive oil
Stir n chill before serving.

Alternate adds:
Splash of vinegar if no lime juice
Carrot
Avacado
Cotija cheese

01AB21A1-14FD-4391-8B63-772C96EB5EF6.jpeg

Last edited:
@jfz80 make that pizza in a Dutch oven. Yum!!!!

You and your Dutch oven dreams. I like it. 👍

Just bought a lodge combo kit to further weigh down the cruiser. May have to give it a go next time out.

Stacked five once when the wife and I camped with my dad and his third wife. Rotating was fun after a few beers.

Re pizza dough, I’ve gone through stages of making my own…biggest thing is when I want pizza tonight, making dough doesn’t usually work. I’ve got a neat pizza dough book that has some same day doughs but most I have made that work the best need to rest in the fridge at least 24 hours.

We’ve recently been using the Stonefire naan flatbreads and making pizzas. Quick and easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom