Builds OL'BETSY ZX: 1991 HZJ77 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Diesel purge is sitting on my bench. Plan is to run the truck on straight diesel purge. Not for always, although it's not that much more expensive than diesel at this point, :cool: but I'm going to run a liter through. Not sure what I'm expecting? More power, less smoke? Oh, let's throw in better fuel economy too, just for good measure. Maybe I should just drink the stuff myself? :beer: Results will probably be the same.

Hopefully my EGT guage gets here soon, and I can see what is happening on "acceleration". Anti-tamper screws are still in place on the fuel pump, and the injector lines have masking tape tags with numbers on them, from who knows when... I can see a tiny "ND" on each of the injector bodies, which is likely NIPPON DENSO, which makes me wonder if they've gone the whole distance? (240k kms)

Diesel purge is sitting on my bench. Plan is to run the truck on straight diesel purge. Not for always, although it's not that much more expensive than diesel at this point, :cool: but I'm going to run a liter through. Not sure what I'm expecting? More power, less smoke? Oh, let's throw in better fuel economy too, just for good measure. Maybe I should just drink the stuff myself? :beer: Results will probably be the same.

Hopefully my EGT guage gets here soon, and I can see what is happening on "acceleration". Anti-tamper screws are still in place on the fuel pump, and the injector lines have masking tape tags with numbers on them, from who knows when... I can see a tiny "ND" on each of the injector bodies, which is likely NIPPON DENSO, which makes me wonder if they've gone the whole distance? (240k kms)
The outside body is usually reused on injectors, so what you can see from the outside is fine and won't tell the whole story. I pulled mine and it had fresh nozzles on it even though the body that I could see was pretty weathered and rough.

Did my first container of liqimoly diesel purge today, IV style directly into the veins of the 1hz.

IMG_20210529_142720806.jpg

Might be placebo effect but it seems quieter. And there is definitely more pull going up the hill of my usual test run. Smoke might be a touch less, but I can still produce it at WOT. I'm going to give it another dose soon just to be thorough. This truck sat a long time before I got my mitts on it, so a good cleaning of the fuel system is good practice methinks.

Took about 15 mins or so to burn all the diesel purge... I set it up gravity feed style into the pump through the bottom of my container, with the return coming back in over the side. Pretty easy to set up. And this method enabled me to keep an eye on the level and use up almost every drop.

Did you use a filter on the return hose to the container? it is important above all not to recontaminate any dirt that the cleaner has removed from the injection system
It is a pretty good product, I have used it in 1KZ engine, some mitsubishi even common rail

Greetings

Did you use a filter on the return hose to the container? it is important above all not to recontaminate any dirt that the cleaner has removed from the injection system
It is a pretty good product, I have used it in 1KZ engine, some mitsubishi even common rail

Greetings
I had a fine filter screen in the feed container. It trapped some black particles...

I loved my many mitsu diesels! 4m41 was a freight train, but 4m40 was my overall fave.
My current 1kz hasn't gotten a treatment yet, but maybe this summer she'll get a spa day. 😂

2nd treatment with DP last evening. No big drives yet, since temp today was 31°C and theres no working aircon yet... The 90 series got the commuting gig, as per usual.

But a quick spin seems to indicate some new found powerrrrr... okay, maybe two less "R's" but still. Better?

Hoping to see egt soon so I can maybe turn down the micro fog machine just a smidge...

Speaking of which... Counter clockwise *reduces* the fuel right? I would've thought it'd be akin to "opening up" the fuel. But apparently not?

I know what you're thinking - who gave this idiot a screwdriver? 😆 Well it's not like I'm turning it up. Well, not on purpose. Hehehe.

But Egt Guage first.

Moving away from maintenance for a minute, a package arrived today...

At long last I have myself a tailgate table. After agonizing over which one to buy, or even building my own, I ponied up for the Frontrunner drop down table. Two things really stood out on this model...
-the slide out undershelf
-the HD brackets to hold the table in lieu of cables

I'll install it soon, but my thus far in-box examination says it's a worthy addition!

IMG_20210610_212359359.jpg

Mockup of my newly arrived EGT gauge... It's so tiny. (No, that's NOT what she said).

There are all manner of places to put it elegantly, which is normally the spot I'd strive for, but none of them puts the info right in front of me, except right here...
IMG_20210611_195542632.jpg

Simply taped in place at the moment, but I'm probably going to try it here. The places in the dash where it's sits inconspicuously are partially shielded by the steering wheel. We shall see...

It's in. Tapped a hole in the downpipe, "before turbo". Get it? Before tur... Nevermind. 😚

Tapped a hole, carefully threaded the NPT bung into my NF hole. (Pretty sure there's a smart alecky comment there somewhere, but I'll take the high road). Routed the harness through a firewall grommet.

Found some power, some earth, and reminded myself 5 times that the thermo couple wanted red on the negative, NOT the positive (on the auber unit).

IMG_20210612_164407465.jpg
IMG_20210612_165828770.jpg

Then I wrapped the wires to make it a little less raw on top of the steering column, hooked up all the wires, fixed the red wire that I had put on the positive terminal (LOL) and gave it some juice.

I'm assuming it must be a good connection, because it immediately queried my ECU and recognized that it was a 77 chassis. Displayed the number right away.

IMG_20210612_175638495.jpg

Now just need to get it out for a good drive and see what ridiculously high temps I was blissfully unaware of, previously. If they go too high then I'll change it to Celsius to bring them down. See? I know stuff...? 😉

Just remember 10° (C) is like 8,000° (F). That's why we Americans never trusted that metric nonsense. 😀

Well I couldn't resist, and went for a drive. I can get it to 1200F uphill without that.much effort, but it drops down to the 700s within seconds after I let off. An NA is definitely different from a boosted rig. My turbo diesel egt's used to be a steady climb if I stayed in it, and a slow descent once I backed off, unless I agressively dropped a gear and revved it out. This one is a fast climb to destructive temps, black smoke galore, and an almost instant drop back down to safety the instant you lift the throttle.

So I'm going to assume altitude is playing a part here, although I'm only at 1100m right now (3600 feet for those suspicious southern types 😉 ). The fuel screw had both safeties in place, which makes me think it hasn't been touched.

So either injectors are going, pump needs tuning, altitude is enough to screw the AFR's, or all three.

Valves are unknown but I'm unsure if out of adjustment valves would play a part in "smoky mountains" or not...

This is all with undisciplined throttle, to see how bad it could be. Under prudent driving conditions, I can modulate the smoke or lack of via gear choice and pedal position. I just like to be running optimal. And I have no reference point.

Maybe I'll compare to @janyyc when he gets back? I think his is a 1hz?

Anyways, long story to say that my egt gauge works.

Well, rather than pussy foot around the rest of the summer, I've ordered new 23600-69055 injectors. I gave the pump a long hard look under strong light, and both anti-tamper measures are in place on the fuel screw. The truck only got 1000 kms in the six years before I bought it, according to the timing belt sticker. It starts extremely quick and smooth every time, cold or warm. Injector bodies have ND on them (original "looking"?) and the truck has 240k kms.

It idles smooth, runs fine, but under hard acceleration it sends a steady, thin line of black in most gears, more so on hills. I'm at 1100m, but I don't think that's enough of a factor to account for the unburnt fuel. My theory is that the spray is not atomizing, thus I'm dumping some of the fuel in the precup.

Anyways, I'm basically unburdening my conscience right now, since they've already been ordered. So thanks for listening. 😁

Last edited:
Well that’s about $1200 of commitment.

Solid.

That means this truck is something more than just a literary/journalistic/pimp-my-web-site vehicle for you…

Hopefully I haven't given that impression up until now? The truck inspires the stories, not the other way around. And clearly the site is not my day job, or I would be buying Chinese injectors off Amazon (the "Friday Part" injectors were around 300 bucks, with free shipping! )

Via Partsouq, they are OEM toyo and are $826 USD incl shipping for all six (so just over a grand in my money). Not bad really, when I consider I paid 650 to get only four (Pajero) injectors rebuilt locally, in 2010. I may put the old ones up for sale once I get the new ones in? Someone is likely to want good cores, esp if they turn out to be what I suspect are originals...

The previous owner figures all 1HZ's smoke, and that its "normal" but I feel like I can do better. We shall see?

Meanwhile, on the other end, I began drop-down table install. Here it is strapped to the back door. I'll probably bolt it on though. The straps feel kinda... temporary? ;)
IMG_20210613_202059908.jpg

The goal in this phase is a floor base plate that I can use L-track on, bolt drawers to, etc.

That meant creating lots of sawdust.

I had previously made a cardboard template, but yesterday was the day to actually trace/cut the plywood. Used 3/4 inch birch plywood.

Here's how it looks so far after about 25 test fitments...
IMG_20210619_180712708.jpg

IMG_20210619_180725651.jpg

I'll use the hatch door hinge and front tie down bolt holes (with longer bolts) to bolt to the floor.

All buttoned down now. I got delayed finishing because my wife wanted a platform in her 100 series too 😂.

Here's the finished product.

IMG_20210620_155716360.jpg

I used aluminum angle on the exposed edge to keep the ply from delaminating as it wears.

Here are close-ups of the tie down points:

Existing holes from wooden hatch cover... (Most useless picture ever)
IMG_20210620_155641331.jpg

And longer bolts on the forward tie downs...

IMG_20210620_155654434.jpg

I'll probably put some sort of stain, oil etc on there. But at least now I can bolt things down. I will probably fashion an angle bracket to bolt under each rear tie down to hold the back corners, just for redundancy. It is very solid as it sits.

Just pulled the old injectors and crush washers. New ones are hand threaded in place for now.

I did manage to drop one new crush washer. 😏 The back one. Lol. 😚 Somehow blindly combing my frame, starter, and transmission area with my magnet coughed it up.

Here are a few shots of the old and new injectors.
IMG_20210623_190700147.jpg

Several of them were wet where the two lower parts met. Not sure how important that is, but clearly they all had a layer of soot on them, and the injector tips were slightly larger with buildup.

IMG_20210623_200437929.jpg

Tomorrow I'll torque them properly and put everything back together. Whether they were ever serviced or not is anyone's guess? But the bodies certainly appear original....

IMG_20210623_190709399.jpg

Got the new injectors torqued properly and all buttoned back up.

I was expecting to have to go through an elaborate bleed process. But nope! A few turns of the engine to prime the lines and it started right up, no smoke, smooth running.

So. It was test drive time...

Just got back. Huge difference. I can accelerate uphill. I can squeeze the throttle in 4th around town and not lay down a smoke screen. She's almost starting to lean towards peppy, for a large, heavy, solid axled, naturally aspirated diesel on 33s. Lol. Okay well, how about "not as sluggish"?

I can still get a thin line of smoke on the ground under WOT if I really try, but it is a lot better. And temp only got to 950° as compared to 1200 plus before injectors.

I'm gonna take it for my long commute tomorrow and get a better feel before I monkey with fuel, but so far... Injectors are worth every penny!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom