Builds OL'BETSY ZX: 1991 HZJ77 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well in an unbelievable turn of events I have bought myself another, newer 70 series so this one will soon be going up for sale. 😱 I'm still a little in shock. But also excited.

Most of the bolt ons will go to the next truck, but the bones are still fine!
Whaaaaaat?? Awe man.... not sure how I am going to let Bruiser know... he was taking a real shinin' to ol' betz!! Hopefully the new (and improved?) version is even cuter! lol

I wonder how Betsy feels that you are leaving her for a younger model. :rofl:
The moniker Betsy started in 1995. I had this wierd habit (unbeknownst to me) of tapping the roof as i attempted to clear an obstacle while saying "c'mon Betsy". Before long the fellas were calling my rig old Betsy and the more I complained the more they did it. Sold that rig for another (a 2nd swb mitsu Montero) in 1999, and it was instantly Betsy 2. In 2006 I made it official with the olbetsy plate, on Betsy 4.

At this point, this rig is Betsy 10, and the new one will be 11! Man alive...

So I'm hoping she'll be proud to be part of my 4wd legacy? 🤣

Hello,

Please tell us more about your new 70 Series.

Make sure the old lady goes to a good, caring home.

Juan

Hello,

Please tell us more about your new 70 Series.

Make sure the old lady goes to a good, caring home.

Juan
Can't say too much yet, except that its still a 77 series, because leaf springs! LOL.

When she's ready to go forth, I hope an enthusiast gets her. Pretty attached already...

Plans have changed. Betsy 10 is sticking around for the long haul and is using the new acquisition to get upgrades. Come spring I'll have a pile of 77 parts to sell!

Seat swap!

The 91 seats are pretty good... Driver's side has the typical wear on the edge. Foam isn't bad.
PXL_20221220_112319764.jpg

But the 97s seats are mint! So in they go!
PXL_20221220_112345091.jpg

I've only done one so far, but will do fronts and backs, plus matching door cards. The 91 seats will then be for sale at some point, hopefully spring.
PXL_20221220_114114300.jpg

Last edited:
Today I started on the A/C swap. It didn't go as expected.
The plan was to use some of the hard lines, the condenser and the dryer plumbing from the 97, to reinstate the A/C on the 91. Its never worked since I've had the truck, though it came with it from the factory, so I've been keen for a few years to get cold air back. Turns out that somewhere around 1993 they changed the system in that subtle toyota way. Might have to do with the smaller molecular structure of R134A versus the previous stuff, but either way, the fittings were slightly different. I thought at first I could mix and match the lines to make things work, but the further into I got, the more I realized I was going to have to swap EVERYTHING.

So I pulled ALL the lines from the 97, along with the condenser, the dryer assembly, the compressor AND the cooling box inside the cab, since those fittings protruded into the engine compartment. Not that much fun. And of course once the AC cooling box was out, my heater box was accessible. And of course the foam flap was reduced to mostly dust... so. Down the rabbit hole we go.

Here's my little pupper wondering just what in the world I'm thinking...
PXL_20221231_161231022.jpg

"Some" of the hard lines...
PXL_20221230_120500775.jpg

A blurry pic of the two compressors side by side, probably representative of where my head's at?
PXL_20221230_120455516.jpg

97 condenser and A/C box sitting on the floor, after the 97 went through labour and gave birth to them (no disrespect to mothers intended, but getting these things out needed some sort of hyperbole just to put into words how miserable the extraction was).
PXL_20221230_161244837.jpg

Contemplating how in the hell I'm going to get it back in place in my 91:
PXL_20221230_161255447.jpg

Done for the day, but hopefully sometime soon I'll have this stuff all back in place on OLBETSY and will be able to cruiser in cool comfort. And by soon I mean... MAY? JUNE? A/C right now is wholly unnecessary, in case that wasn't obvious.

Oh man, I don't know how I missed this thread. This is gold.

I'm interested in your old gray blue seat covers and suspension bases if you decide to sell.

@FJ73Texas might want the cushions.

Turns out that somewhere around 1993 they changed the system in that subtle toyota way. Might have to do with the smaller molecular structure of R134A versus the previous stuff, but either way, the fittings were slightly different. I thought at first I could mix and match the lines to make things work, but the further into I got, the more I realized I was going to have to swap EVERYTHING.
I know this is a bit late to mention, but you can mix and match the A/C lines from R12 to R134a ... sort of. If you have an old school A/C shop nearby, they can help you create frankenstein lines. I had to do this during my intercooler install when all the old R12 fittings shredded on me.

1665350363981-png.3136114

1665350606270-png.3136126

Also, here's the converted R134a fill spec when you finish up and recharge the system. The original specs are all based on R12.

1672587667391.png

Having a 1993 model year running R12 Freon still, I am trying to understand what the changes were in 1993. Was the change from R12 to R134a made at some point in 1993 production year?

Well... ng a 1993 model year running R12 Freon still, I am trying to understand what the changes were in 1993. Was the change from R12 to R134a made at some point in 1993 production year?
I'm not sure when the refrigerant change happened but the parts switch was sometime in 93 according to the parts diagrams. Likely month of production based? It's only a guess that it was because of r134a but it would make sense. Everything looks virtually the same but the type of fittings used changed. I didn't even notice until I was trying to mate them and they didn't fit. Then I looked closer and realized the differences.

I did look at splicing kits and certainly could have fittings combined, but I do have the entire truck sitting there so it made more sense to simply swap all. Well, until I started doing it. 🤣

Just checking my new flap foam to see if it's all adhered. Then I'll start reassembly of heater box.

I need to take a look at mine again some more. It works good and not sure if I want to even change it to R134a. I made the mistake of having this done on the FJ73 when I put a new a/c compressor on it loaded up with R134a and it never blew as cold as it used to when it was on R12.

Another block of time today saw me shoehorn the a/c box and heater thingy back in place. OMG that was not fun.

Put new foam tape on the seal between the heater box and dash vents.

PXL_20230101_142111463.jpg

My new retrofitted foam seems functional and doesn't impede the fresh/recirc flap from opening and shutting. I used shop vac foam from Home Depot, adhered with gorilla glue.
PXL_20230101_131001730.jpg

As you can see the old foam was not much more than dust.
PXL_20230101_131801221.jpg

Then I pulled the dash pad off and swapped it with my parts truck pad, that had a (poorly installed) altimeter/temperature pod and dash pad. Not the easiest thing to liberate, but managed to get it done.
PXL_20230101_142104690.jpg

Plus my original dash pad cracked in the cold a few weeks back.
PXL_20230101_142146045.jpg

Not quite done yet. Lol. Or EVERRRR! 🫣

For now the pod is in place but not powered up.

But wait. The sad and crappy old left dash speaker was RIGHT THERE in front of me. Exposed. And... I just happened to have a brand new set of infinity 4 inch two ways on my bench. So I did what anyone in my shoes with their dash in pieces would do! I pulled the old speaker, made some modifications to the new one, and installed it!
PXL_20230101_153645079.jpg

Even if it sounds the exact same (which I doubt)… it looks a lot better for no one to see under the dash grille. 😉

But now I need to pull the other side. Sigh. And if I'm doing the fronts? Yeah... I now have new rears coming too. Going to try some 6.5 inch shallow mount infinity's. We'll see if/how they fit?

I know this is a bit late to mention, but you can mix and match the A/C lines from R12 to R134a ... sort of. If you have an old school A/C shop nearby, they can help you create frankenstein lines. I had to do this during my intercooler install when all the old R12 fittings shredded on me.

1665350363981-png.3136114

1665350606270-png.3136126

Also, here's the converted R134a fill spec when you finish up and recharge the system. The original specs are all based on R12.

View attachment 3207171
This info will be super helpful when I eventually go for my recharge! Thank you so much! Appreciate it!

Hi
Would you mind taking some shots of the exact location of the bolts that hold the blower box in place? (If you haven't proceeded beyond that yet).
I once tried to get it out to replace my foam pad, but didn't gasp how to undo it.
Thanks Ralf

Hi
Would you mind taking some shots of the exact location of the bolts that hold the blower box in place? (If you haven't proceeded beyond that yet).
I once tried to get it out to replace my foam pad, but didn't gasp how to undo it.
Thanks Ralf
No problem!
But first off, I couldn't divorce the heater box from under the dash without first pulling the AC box, which was of course my goal. Not saying it can't be done, but the interface between the two boxes sees the a/c box union "in front of" the heater box, when looking at it from inside the truck. this will make more sense when its in front of you. There is probably a way to flex the two away from each other to allow either one to be pulled independently? I'd strongly recommend avoiding pulling out the A/C box unless you are at gunpoint, or you really really want to have a miserable day. LOL

Two bolts here...
PXL_20230102_153527054.jpg

One here:

PXL_20230102_153535979.jpg

One here: (this view shows the interface between the boxes and illustrates the cold box ridge outside the heater flange)
PXL_20230102_153543925.jpg

and finally this nut up top...
PXL_20230102_153608109.jpg

Before this, you've already pulled the duct that runs across the bottom, and peeled back the carpet a little.

Hope this helps.

Successful day. Condenser is in. All o-rings were replaced, all lines are secure and tight, and I'm ready (I think) for a recharge. Damn that sucked vacuum. LOL. Get it? Oh never mind. Just for grins I tried the 97 grille in front of my new condenser. I might keep it there? (The big puddle underneath is foreshadowing for the next task)
PXL_20230102_174735144.jpg

Also, in investigating the hvac system up close, I found that my fan resistor was turning to dust as well. It still functions, but I figured its on borrowed time, so a new one is on order: 87138-90K01

PXL_20230101_132314226.jpg

So... time to move on to another item. Since the batteries were pulled, and I had full access to the IP, I figured it was time to blank off my non-op ACSD.

PXL_20230102_170729815.jpg

Dumped lots of fuel and coolant in the process, but no leaks after I got the system up to pressure again.
Finally, I thought I'd check under my fuel cut solenoid to see if the screen was full of detritus. UH-OH! When I attempted to crack the 8mm nut holding down the wire, the whole top of the plastic mold started to crack and twist! Crap! I guess millions of heat cycles and 31 years of not being touched took their toll? I quickly turned it back the other way, started her up, and prayed it would shut off. LOL. It did. But I now have a new f/c solenoid on order, as well as a screen. Then we'll try that little experiment again.

F/C solenoid: 22390-56291
IP filter screen: 22602-56350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom