Oil Filter Sizes (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting ready to do my first DIY oil change on my 100 series. I see that people sometimes use a larger oil filter. When I lookup what fits my truck, it says WIX 51348. But I see some people using the larger WIX 51515. Does it make a difference which one is used?

Stay with OEM. Nothing comes close to the quality of OEM. Size really don't matter as it is not an oil storage unit.

5vzfe engine also uses the same filter.

If you change your oil every 3-5k miles OEM is fine. But if you go 5-7k or more consider synthetic media over paper is better for long term filtering capacity. Wix offers XP series with synth media as does Mobil 1 EP series. More filter area would be better but I'm not sure if the larger filters some folks use actually have more media or it's just slightly larger case-

I just changed oil in my LC yesterday and decided to use an OEM filter that I got from the dealer based on this post. I asked about the oil quality that they use in Toyota's motor oil, since the PO only had the oil changed at a dealer, and they said it is made by Valvoline, which I do not care for. Instead, I use Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30. I also use the same Pennzoil in my other vehicles and I have always had good luck with it. I am thinking about switching to the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Fully Synthetic because I drive a a lot of short trips. I only live about 2 miles from work but combined there are about 18 stops signs and stop lights between here and there. The extra protection might be good because of my driving conditions. I consistently change the oil and filter at 5,000 miles in all of my vehicles. Maybe I should change it with conventional oil at 3,000 miles in the LC because of the short trips?

The bulk oil purchased by the dealers is usually based upon price first. All of the bulk oils available to dealerships and shops meet manufacturer specs. Ironically, the oil sold by the parts department is usually Mobil 1 synthetic, or the Toyota branded oil which is manufacturered by Mobil.

Stay with OEM. Nothing comes close to the quality of OEM. Size really don't matter as it is not an oil storage unit.

5vzfe engine also uses the same filter.

The idea that "Nothing else comes close" is of course patently false. Nothing wrong with the OEM but there are many choices out there as good or better (depending upon your needs).

And any filter with a properly working anti-drain back valve IS a 'storage unit', but the extra capacity of a larger filter (the original subject of this thread) is of dubious worth.

Bottom line: Use any Quality Name Brand filter (that has all the OEM features), change your oil regularly and you will be fine.

I love my Toyota's BUT Toyota is not the final word, nor do they have all the answers. That is Blasphemy...I know. ;)

Last edited:
If you're looking for a higher capacity oil filter for our 2UZ-FE engines I suggest the Mobil 1 M1-209. But if you're running an aftermarket front skid plate ... check the clearance, you might need to do a little grinding.

I just changed oil in my LC yesterday and decided to use an OEM filter that I got from the dealer based on this post. I asked about the oil quality that they use in Toyota's motor oil, since the PO only had the oil changed at a dealer, and they said it is made by Valvoline, which I do not care for. Instead, I use Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30. I also use the same Pennzoil in my other vehicles and I have always had good luck with it. I am thinking about switching to the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Fully Synthetic because I drive a a lot of short trips. I only live about 2 miles from work but combined there are about 18 stops signs and stop lights between here and there. The extra protection might be good because of my driving conditions. I consistently change the oil and filter at 5,000 miles in all of my vehicles. Maybe I should change it with conventional oil at 3,000 miles in the LC because of the short trips?
I highly recommend synthetic lubes. Both convention & synthetic oil give great fiction protect just after oil change. But conventional does not hold up to heat well, it starts breaking down fast the hotter it gets reducing it's ability to protect. As conventional oil breaks down it deposit carbon (gunk) in engine.

Synthetic oil will not break down like conventional oil and will clean-out old conventional oil gunk in time. Rebuild an engine run on conventional then synthetic, the difference is night and day (black gunk vs clean like new)

I use all synthetic lubes throughout, it's worth the extra dime per qt. jug, tube or tub.

I use Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30. I also use the same Pennzoil in my other vehicles and I have always had good luck with it. I am thinking about switching to the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Fully Synthetic because I drive a a lot of short trips.
Have in mind that although there's nothing wrong using High Mileage, once you started, you can't go back to conventional. This is because the High Mileage oil has additives to expand the rubber seals to prevent oil leaks on high mileage engines, if you go back to conventional those worn seals will return to their "original size" and start leaking because they worn expanded, at least that's what I read.

If you're looking for a higher capacity oil filter for our 2UZ-FE engines I suggest the Mobil 1 M1-209. But if you're running an aftermarket front skid plate ... check the clearance, you might need to do a little grinding.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes, excellent filter for increased capacity and when running synthetic oil.

IF extended service is not needed...then the Motorcraft FL400S is the same dimension and is a very good product.

Have in mind that although there's nothing wrong using High Mileage, once you started, you can't go back to conventional. This is because the High Mileage oil has additives to expand the rubber seals to prevent oil leaks on high mileage engines, if you go back to conventional those worn seals will return to their "original size" and start leaking because they worn expanded, at least that's what I read.
If the HM uses the same seal modifiers as ATP AT-205 Re-Seal that not the case. According to ATP you only need use once for five hours.

Has anyone here successfully used the larger Wix 51515 / Napa Gold 1515 on a 100-series? The frame rail was too close for me to screw it on. But Napa's website says it fits my '99 LC.

This is the filter I use as well - along with Mobil 1 5W-30. Very satisfied.

Has anyone here successfully used the larger Wix 51515 / Napa Gold 1515 on a 100-series? The frame rail was too close for me to screw it on. But Napa's website says it fits my '99 LC.

I'm certain the NAPA Gold FIL1516 fits. (I've used it)

Looking at the outside diameter of the 1515, I can see that it's considerably larger than the 1516

I'm certain the NAPA Gold FIL1516 fits. (I've used it)

Looking at the outside diameter of the 1515, I can see that it's considerably larger than the 1516
Something in me says that the 1515 is not right. That is what was stock on the 2F of my old FJ60 and seems much larger (diameter wise) than the stock OE filter on my 98. NAPA Gold filters are good but are close to same cost as OE filters, so I will go with the OE (for the 100).

I am about 1k miles away from my next oil change (did when I first got truck) and will be sending off a sample to BlackStone to see what she says. I used the Kirkland Brand 5w30 synthetic, which is supposed to be made by Warren Mfg Industries (main motor oil mfg for LOTS of companies). We will see how she faired with that and if it comes back that I should upgrade to something different at 197k+ then I will handle with next oil change (5k miles currently).

I hope not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom