Featured 100 - spressomon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
Spent 6-months about 3-years ago lurking, reading and getting great input about which LC to get. Ended up purchasing my current 100 in January '05. It's from the northeast...complete with the rust package offered for that part of the country :rolleyes:. Gotta say I probably won't do that again...but all the rusted/corroded bolts that I have needed to remove, have been drilled and tapped...with typical low humidity here in Northern Nevada the rust seems abated!

It, like other's rigs, has been a work in progress. The first thing I did, getting it ready for desert and mountain travel for exploring, hunting, camping, etc., was to install Goodyear MT/R 285R75-16 tires. Then I built a set of quick and relatively easy sliders...which some day will get replaced with a different design; but for now keep the body from being damaged on some trail runs.

Next was an OME lift from Slee Offroad and a set of African Outback drawers. A Slee rear bumper followed by a TJM T3 Classique steel front bumper made it all work fairly well for my uses for about a year.

Couldn't buy a t-case skid plate...so I made one out of 6061T6 plate and a custom bracket that I welded up. So far, even though it's not the ideal design, it has saved many a rock from smacking the t-case. The factory tin plate is a real POS...barely enough to keep road trash from smacking the t-case...let alone what you find on a typical off-road trail!

A second battery and rear circuit was added next. I thought long and hard about the next accessory...and thanks to all the input here I pulled trigger on the Waeco 50 fridge/freezer. As you all said: "It would be my favorite accessory"...and that's been 100% accurate.

I added the Helton Hot Water Heat Exchanger...with a bracket I welded up to mount out of the way on the PS fender. This has worked as advertised...a great accessory!

Then the Warn 9.5XP winch with X-Line was added...had to make a couple new mounting brackets as the TJM is designed for a smaller winch...but it all fit just fine. And along the way I just couldn't get past the goofy OEM frame mounted hooks. And since the bolt spacing is atypical...and no after market recovery hooks available I, along with a couple buddies...you know who you are!...designed the Frame Recovery Brackets for a small production run. The TJM hoop was removed earlier this year...and I sliced up some thick plate I had in the garage and welded the current recovery points to the front bumper...

The winch has come in handy several times: Pulling a Rubicon off a high centered lump in a trail; pulling aside a large downed pine tree that was blocking the trail; coaxing the rig up Steven's Loop (with the help from my homies that proved they are great spotters and rock stackers...again: You know who you are ;)) and the last time, that saved our butts since we were out exploring on our own, I used to right the Horizon after I layed it on its side!

Thanks to the Norcal 80 guys and Rusty for getting some of us off our arse...I was able to pass the HAM test and install the 2m Icom 208H...now like others that are 2m friendly I can't wait until the CB never gets turned back on!

A little over a year ago I installed the ARB front air locker along with completely rebuilding all axle/hub bearings, new OEM CV shaft assemblies, 4.88 gears, 315R75-16 MT/R's and ART cryo'd rotors with Porterfield kevlar and carbon pads and custom stainless steel brake lines throughout.

As most of you know...and others will soon learn...it takes LOTS of time to get all the little details done. But I keep plugging away. The next project to be completed this month will be Fox 2" remote reservoir shocks at each corner. The OME's are just not up to keeping this extra heavily laden rig under control.

No regrets on purchasing this rig...and no regrets with respect to any of the mods so far.

More to come as I recollect...

...and a big thanks to all that have offered assistance on this board!

The first three pics were taken right after I purchased it and right after I installed the 285R75-16 MT/R's...
Pic 1.jpg
Pic 2.jpg
Pic 3.jpg

Last edited:
The sliders were the first project I built...and then on to the OME lift.
Pic 4.jpg
Pic 5.jpg
Pic 6.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, clean and new African Outback drawers and the Waeco 50 fridge/freeze.

Dual battery and Powergate...

Had to build a sub cabinet to fit between the seat and the Waeco.
Pic 7.jpg
Pic 8.jpg
Pic 9.jpg

Last edited:
Recovery gear kit in stow.

Pics with the 33" MT/R's
Pic 10.jpg
Pic 11.jpg
Pic 12.jpg

Last edited:
Helton Heat exchanger and home brew fender bracket.

Do what it and I do best: Exploring!
Pic 13.jpg
Pic 14.jpg
Pic 15.jpg

Last edited:
More exploring pics...and a shot of the custom dog box for my huntin' buddy Sieg!
Pic 16.jpg
Pic 17.jpg
Pic 18.jpg

Last edited:
The Warn 9.5XP install...

Home brew remote solenoid bracket mount for fender...
Pic 19.jpg
Pic 20.jpg
Pic 21.jpg

Last edited:
The 4.88, ARB locker, etc., etc., 6-week down and missed some cool runs project.

A couple nice 40's from a run with the homies before the 4.88 tear down...
Pic 23.jpg
Pic 24.jpg
Pic 22.jpg

Last edited:
Rear diff...before the 4.88's were installed...

Front diff...and the problem solver ARB locker fitting...

Switches...no factory look for me...
Pic 25.jpg
Pic 26.jpg
Pic 27.jpg

Last edited:
Custom Frame Recovery Bracket.

Shot of the mini ARB air compressor and the shower line plug-ins...
Pic 28.jpg
Pic 29.jpg
Pic 30.jpg

Rear power circuit...

Measuring to get just the right amount of lift.

OME 863's compared to custom Slee/ATS4x4 springs...
Pic 31.jpg
Pic 32.jpg
Pic 33.jpg

Coyote Flats Horizon break in run...

The 2nd Coyote Flats trip September '06 with the Norcal 80 folks.

My home brew manual throttle...for winching and dialing in the perfect shower temp!
Pic 34.jpg
Pic 35.jpg
Pic 36.jpg

Getting to put all the mods to work for my favorite off-road pass time: Chasing the elusive Chukar birds.

One of my hunt'n homies.

Late afternoon after a phenomenal day hunting on the mountain...love'n that near full moon!
Pic 37.jpg
Pic 38.jpg
Pic 39.jpg

Did the 90k this year...and decided to replace the starter for peace of mind.

90k tools required.

Another quality run in the middle of Nevada this spring.
Pic 40.jpg
Pic 41.jpg
Pic 42.jpg

Spress- very nice rig. Your rig and buildup has provided a lot of ideas for my own rig over the past year (and I suspect for many others as well). Love those custom recovery brackets. Have you ever posted details about how you put together the manual throttle control?

Another great spring run from this year...this is why I built the rig the way I did. It really goes anywhere I need it too...in comfort too!
Pic 43.jpg
Pic 44.jpg
Pic 45.jpg

More fun runs.

And the ICOM 208H...
Pic 46.jpg
Pic 47.jpg
Pic 48.jpg

Another interesting trip on Memorial Day weekend '07.

Just had to see if I could lay the Horizon on its side...sure enough I can!!!
Pic 50.jpg
Pic 51.jpg
Pic 49.jpg

A custom little bracket to secure and keep the winch line out of harm's way.

My second favorite accessory...ha ha...

And another little weld on support to keep the shovel blade centered.

God I love having a welder!
Pic 52.jpg
Pic 53.jpg
Pic 54.jpg

In it's current...well almost current shape (pre Tomales Bay).

Front bumper shot with the new welded on recovery points...
Pic 55.jpg
Pic 56.jpg
Pic 57.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom