Has anyone use the extra large oil filter - model 30001? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For reference the 10241 filter is what the stock filter size. I have used the oversize 20195 or M1 209 (currently in the LC) with no problem - I just keep the empty box so I remember which filter I need to buy. A few weeks ago I saw that Purolator 30001 on sale for $2.50 so I bought the last two. If it is cheaper than the smaller one, I thought why not... Was just curious if anyone use this model before? I wonder if the extra width will fit. My next oil change is still 5 months away.

EDIT - sorry not sure why there are 2 images, and I can't delete one of them.

WP_001481.jpg

WP_001481.jpg

I always used the Purolator PureOne in the 3001 size on my '80 for the last 10+ years. I use the same size filter on my Supra. I planned on using it on the the 100 also, but haven't tried it yet. My 100 still has some tiny filter on it from the previous owner's last change ~500 miles ago.

Depends what oil you use. M1 EP Oil recommends using the M1 EP Filter, so thats what i go for.

Not anymore. Too difficult to get unscrewed, turned up and out without loosing oil everywhere

What is the advantage of size? Dirt collection?

What is the advantage of size? Dirt collection?

I am sure it can hold more dirt since it has larger filter area, but for me the main reason was price. The regular size is like $7, these were on sale for $2.5. I may extend my 6 months 6K miles a bit longer with these filters.

Not anymore. Too difficult to get unscrewed, turned up and out without loosing oil everywhere

Good point. Thanks for confirming that these will fit, otherwise I was going to return them.

Can someone tell what is the point of using a "larger" oil filter, irrespective of price?

I mean, is their some concerned Toyota made it to small for cold start-up? Or oil flow? Is 7.2qt not enough that we need more oil? Or what's the deal here?

In theory, larger filter means more filter surface area, which should mean longer life.

The reality is you can't judge a filter by its size - some are really poorly designed despite what they claim on the outside of the box.

I run the M1-209 as it's rated for 15k intervals - I can't imagine going longer than that.

From what I have learned about oil filters (as well as what others have stated here), oil filter size does not give you any real benefits or gains. The only real upside I could see with using a larger oil filter is if you live/wheel in extremely dusty environments where you are looking for extra air and oil filtration wherever you can get it. The higher the flow and the larger the filter is, the more time it spends filtering and the less time it spends in bypass mode. As long as you're using a filter with the same bypass pressure your oil pressure with remain unaffected as well. This is dependent upon quality (reiterating what others have said), but one thing to know is that the OEM filters have been tested by Toyota & Lexus across many different engines in many different vehicles. And that filter has passed each test with flying colors. Since the dusty environment does not apply to me I'll stick with OEM.

@OP,
I had a Purolator 30001 on the shelf and just installed it. I won't be using that size again. Understand that I'm doing a short interval with dino oil after a sea foam treatment, then doing Timing belt work and and oil change (M1 synthetic) around Thanksgiving. I had the filter on the shelf and assumed it would fit fine. I should have bought a smaller backup. I got the 30001 filter installed, but I'm not sure how I got it threaded on. I will not say that it "fits". It should not be used, in my opinion. It has to be started threading at a slight angle due to the larger diameter of the filter. The clearance is so small after it's tightend, that I wouldn't trust it at all with any off-road driving (due to potential drivetrain movement). I'm doing a short change interval with no off-road planned, so I will leave it until I do my PM and oil change next month. I just bought some of the Toyota 90915-YZZD3 filters on Amazon to use for the next 5 changes. IMO, give the 30001 to one of your buddy's with an 80. They work fine on there. I do not recommend using that size on the 100.

Where I do agree it is most often best to use OEM when and wherever possible, there are exception. Toyota does not advocate the use of synthetic engine oil in the 100's 4.7 engine, that I've seen. Not anything wrong with synthetic, our rigs just didn't come with it from factory.

For myself using M1 oil or any synthetic oil, I'll often extend oil changing intervals pass factory recommendation millage. For this reason I do like the M1 filter, which I use only the Mobil recommended M1-102 EP oil filter. This is a extended performance (EP) synthetic filter design to last 15K miles. It's the only filter mobile will standby it's 15K miles warrantee with, when using M1 EP oil.

I've not look at specs of pressure, flow, bypass nor check valve of M1 as compared to OEM, nor difference from the various size and brand oil filters mention on this thread. Would be interesting to see.....hint!

Last edited:
I can confirm that the Wix 51515 which is supposed to be similar, did not fit my 03 LX. The crossmember prevented enough clearance to thread the filter on correctly. any small gain you can make in filter area does not seem worth it compared to damaging the threads on the block or worse, losing the filter when you are a 100 miles from civilization...

I use either the M1-209 or the oem D3. The M1 has synthetic filtering material and lasts well with the M1 EP or Amsoil Signature. When I have used the oem D3, I do not go past 10K even with M1 EP or Amsoil. I have used the D3 filter in all my Toyota and Lexus vehicles and like its performance. I have used synthetic oil in all my Toyota/Lexus vehicles since the mid-1990s and they all have done well. The 94 Previa is still running well with well over 300K miles on it. I am more conservative with the 3.0L V6 because of the sludge problems they had, always using synthetic and using 7K miles as my max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom