ODB scanners to check transmission temp (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, (long time reader, first time poster)

I'm am going to change all the drive line fluids in the 460.

Have read a lot of artifices and watched a lot of videos on changing the transmission fluid.

I want to use a scan tool to check the transmission temp; don't want to use a IR temp gun, don't want to do the 20 step ODB jumper wire process and don't want to roll the dice just by drain, measure, fill - while everything is at outside temp.

The Toyota TIS scan system appears to be a monthly subscription, perfer to only pay once and be done with it.

So, what ODBII scan tools have people used to check transmission temp during a transmission fluid change?

Thanks.

This 3rd party will definitely work... cheapest.. no…been using for years and still gets firmware updates to keep it up to date

I have a scangauge III which I use to monitor trans temp and a bunch of other parameters while driving. It will even display tire pressure and temp off the TPMS sensors.

There are free copies of techstream out there which, if you can get them to work should also do it.

OBDLink will do the full TPMS PSI & Temp too

OP: If someone wants quick plug and play.. options above will be your best bet

I have fully working TS setup but not for everyone… it is not a 100% guaranteed option.. since it depends on the hardware you already have

Check on my build thread starting on post # 438 - 482
The OBDLink phone app will have two transmission temperatures. From what I understand, one will be the pan the other will be the torque converter. The pan temp will usually be cooler than the torque temp (of course...)

A cheap option (that I use) would be a $30 Amazon bluetooth or wifi OBDII adapter and the Torque Pro app on your phone ($5). You'll need to key in the right equation to get the trans temp since it's not a standard PID. The equation is posted on lots of Toyota forums, I think I grabbed mine from a Taco forum.

Reactions: r2m
I've heard this adapter plus OBD Fusion works fine as well

Amazon product ASIN B088LW211V
I tend to like to stay with the BT Models these days since WIFI security on the really cheap adapters especially if you keep it plugged in to monitor temps is basically non-existent.

The OBDII adapter should draw a nominal amount of current (e.g., small enough that it would take weeks to kill a battery). Nevertheless, the OBDII port is always powered. For mine I made an OBDII extension cable (male and female OBDII pigtails - which are cheap on Amazon) and have the adapter power coming from an ignition-on fusetap, to prevent any battery drain, since it's not uncommon for my GX to sit at the airport parking lot for a week or two when I travel.

FWIW, you should only leave these plugged in if you need have a need to regularly monitor sensor values. I tow with my GX often and watch trans temp, coolant temp, etc pretty closely, so mine is always plugged in. If you are just needing to check the trans fluid level as part of a fluid change, simply unplug the adapter when you are done and keep it in the glovebox.

This one auto powers off and can attest after 4 years never a drained battery

Agree with Acrad. I have the exact same one and have had it plugged in continuously since January of this year. It starts up when my phone Bluetooth's to it.

I have a scangauge III which I use to monitor trans temp and a bunch of other parameters while driving. It will even display tire pressure and temp off the TPMS sensors.

There are free copies of techstream out there which, if you can get them to work should also do it.
Not to hijack the thread, but where did you mount the Scangauge III? Have one I need to get set up in my GX.

Not to hijack the thread, but where did you mount the Scangauge III? Have one I need to get set up in my GX.
This guy is printing out brackets to put SGIII in the overhead console, might be worth a look.

This guy is printing out brackets to put SGIII in the overhead console, might be worth a look.

That's nice! I have mine on a suction cup mount on the lower left of the windscreen, just to try out that location. It's a decent place to put it, out of my line of sight but still visible.

I was thinking of using Ohana rig supply's vent scangauge II mount as a base for a permanent solution.

This one?
If you go that route, I'd say try using some really good 3M double backed tape (the type used for mirror squares on walls) or Velcro first.
Then if you don't like it's position you can always adjust without having holes in your dash plate.

I use this as well. Great to watch live information.

I use this as well. Great to watch live information.
Although I don't have Scangauge, but OBDLink with Bluetooth (to an old phone), It's nice having streaming data with real numbers and not just arrows pointing to a rough guesstimation.

This 3rd party will definitely work... cheapest.. no…been using for years and still gets firmware updates to keep it up to date

I read through the CL discussion and just ordered a MX+ (on sale for Amazon's Prime Day). @Acrad, @r2m, or anyone else with a OBD Link, have you used other 3rd party apps? Any you like (or don't)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom