O R I O N (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks Kurt! I saw you had the correct flanges but I did not see the shafts on the site. Do you mind sending me a pm on some pricing?
Thanks in advance.
Rob

I’m out of town and away from pricing but if you ping the shop (info@cruiseroutfitters.com) they can hit you back tomorrow with pricing and stock. I’m 99% confident we have a half dozen or more of them in stock.

Circling back. We have plenty of the fine spline front output shafts (and bearings, seals, flanges, etc needed to swap) in stock

Part# TCSHFT60023

20191204_144445.jpg

Last edited:
Been running Orion HD 4:1 for about 12 years. Never broke anything, but occasionally the shifter will skip and stay stuck in $WD. Have to take the top plate off and reset and remount the top plate. I carry the wrench and allen head needed to do the job when on the trail.
Other than that, has always worked great.

4:1 Orion with a fine spline mated to an NV4500 tranny. Twin shifters. Built and installed at Red Line Land Cruisers in Colorado Springs. Nice to have good shops close by.

Rebuilt case #463
11961CD6-BA45-4F0D-B14C-C178356221B4.jpeg

The bolt that is modified to clear the idler gear, does anyone know the diameter of it? I’m assembling an Orion to Marlin Toybox and it doesn’t use the metric bolts that comes with the Orion. I also don’t have the bolts supplied with the Orion. I ground the bolt down but I’m not sure how much clearance it needs.

Ping AA. I'm sure they would gladly provide the info. Georg (orangefj45) is another source.

Ping AA. I'm sure they would gladly provide the info. Georg (orangefj45) is another source.

I spoke with AA today and the guy I spoke to didn't know the answer so he transferred me to someone that might know but didn't answer. I left a meaasage and we'll see if he calls back. I'll hit up Georg next.

It aint much, like 1 mm less in dia. at the shaved down area. You can'y mock it up ?

I ground the bolt down a little and it clears. But is that enough, Just enough to clear, or should it have a minimum clearance? I can’t see inside well enough to be able to see or measure how much clearance it has.

They dont like it when the allen head falls out , low speed gear, idler, and shift rail, & the allen head all dead.

I installed an 4:1 this fall, fresh from AA. It’s been great until last week. To date it’s popped out gear three of the four times while compression breaking down the pass. I thought the new ones were supposed to be past this issue. I’ll call AA on Monday, but any thoughts until then?

I installed an 4:1 this fall, fresh from AA. It’s been great until last week. To date it’s popped out gear three of the four times while compression breaking down the pass. I thought the new ones were supposed to be past this issue. I’ll call AA on Monday, but any thoughts until then?

In the meantime, a bungee cord, seriously.

IMO it and experience with the exact issue it has been caused by excess wear between the bronze bushing in the high speed gear and the output shaft. New shafts are available and I had to push a new bushing in the gear. Had to cut down an fj60 bushing, couldnt find a direct replacement for the bushing.

I'm curious about this as well - @archie73 - is this a new install or is there some substantial wear on your Orion? @peesalot - are replacement gear bushings for the Orion cases not available from AA when they wear out? I've honed/replaced bushing in 4-speed stock cases in the past, but I've run into the same issue with older 3-speed cases (bushing NLA). What did cutting down a FJ60 bushing entail?

I just recently picked up a H41 transmission and I've been tossing around the idea of putting an Orion behind it. I thought the popping out of gear issues were largely behind us (and I'm sure, as a whole, they probably are) but this and another post I saw recently where they forgot to include a bunch of parts makes me a bit nervous.

I'm curious about this as well is this a new install or is there some substantial wear on your Orion? are replacement gear bushings for the Orion cases not available from AA when they wear out? I've honed/replaced bushing in 4-speed stock cases in the past, but I've run into the same issue with older 3-speed cases (bushing NLA). What did cutting down a FJ60 bushing entail?
This is a new install (last fall), using the AA recommended new bits and the salvaged parts from the old. I’m currently emailing back and forth with AA, so no resolution yet.

I just recently picked up a H41 transmission and I've been tossing around the idea of putting an Orion behind it. I thought the popping out of gear issues were largely behind us (and I'm sure, as a whole, they probably are) but this and another post I saw recently where they forgot to include a bunch of parts makes me a bit nervous.
I had read that the popping out issue was addressed as well. I’m not ruling out that I’m to blame for the problem and I’m overall very happy with the unit. Hopefully, I can pull it soon to find the cause.

The popping out issue was resolved or at least diagnosed. A revised shift rail was offered which helped the issue and at the time the issue was prevelant the new rear outputs were not.

I have Orion#100, it has been torn down several times and the wear/condition is unreal, like new. Back when we were solving the popping out issue shafts were scarce and IIRC we could not source that bushing. I went to Mudraks and found one that fit but was too long, Gary said it was a 60 bushing, it needed to be shortened, little time with dremmel and cut off disc had it all good. The bushing inside the high speed gear tends to wear in and hour glass pattern which when decelerating on compression it oscilates which walks the shift collar off the teeth.
A new shaft, new bushing solve this, sometimes both are needed, sometimes only one side. For example upon rebuildng mine this week due to a bolt falling inside case and killing a few gears we had to replace the mainshaft, bushing was fine, I was still using the og main shaft so it was time. FWIW spend time making sure the input gear, pto gear, & rear bearing all go onto and slide on the tranny output shaft, makes install much nicer experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom