Noisy rear sor brake shoes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brian

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Replaced the rear shoes and drums on the 75 in july. New oem drums, shoes from $or.
For the past two months now ive been chasing something that sounds metallic eating something else metallic. Ive been in there no fewer than 4 times looking for something out of place...nothing is showing wear and there are no metallic crumbs.
Its come down to the shoe material being blamed.
Of course sor being sor, they arrived shrink wrapped to cardboard bearing their label and nothing else...no clue who actually made the shoes or what type they are.
With all that being said they work just fine, just sounds horrible doing it.

Anyone else run across this?

Ill have a video in few minutes.....that doesn't do it justice.

Yea, well I bought a bunch of brake stuff from CCOT like 14 years ago. They sent me rear cylinders to put on the front - "you need to put some on upside down" to get them to work after I ask about the order. Then I got sick and nearly died. I just put on the ones they sent for rear and the master cylinder, hopefully they will work. Have correct fronts from FJ Parts (thank you) Just got all the old lines and bolts loose without damage so the new cylinders are going on tomorrow. Will also be using my new Toyota brake spoon from City Racer because it actually fits between the spring pack and the backing plate.

I bought a set on new "china" shoes $50 NAPA delivered. The lining is really aggressive on bare hands. I took the Dremel tool with a grinding stone to all the sides and chamfering them some on all the lining edges. When I started working on Elsie a few months ago after it had been sitting for that 12+ years one of shoes had delaminated - it was dry and looked brand new. I took all my shoes and countersunk pop rivets near the end of the lining ends with a drill and an endmill - I'll bet that lining doesn't delaminate so easily this time.

When I started working on Elsie a few months ago after it had been sitting for that 12+ years one of shoes had delaminated - it was dry and looked brand new. I took all my shoes and countersunk pop rivets near the end of the lining ends with a drill and an endmill - I'll bet that lining doesn't delaminate so easily this time.

that doesnt help me....and pop riveting the lining onto the backing, instead of just replacing them with new shoes, sounds like s horrible idea on all levels.

Ear plugs and a boom car radio:)

Way back in the early 80's I had a local shop do my brakes the first time. Mr. Brake was recommended by the guy I got Elsie from. They turned the drums and then ground new shoes to fit the drum - those lasted for years. I did watch one of the guys try and pound the center part of the front wheel cylinders out from the inside like you can do on the rear. That was the only time I ever took her to a shop.

My only thought is some of the adjusting fitting have a taper (front to back) in the slot the shoe rides in - maybe that taper is backward and is pushing the shoe into the drum rather than centering the shoe in the drum.

I bought new shoes, but I riveted them.

Do you still have the shoes you removed? See if the SOR set are wider. Another thought- use a Sharpie and ink the inside rim inner of the drums, test drive, see if and where the ink rubs off. Did you grease the backing plate where the shoes rub? Are the springs orientation correct? Rear springs to the outside.

IMG_7053.jpeg

IMG_7054.jpeg

i have the fsm as well.
i did not compare widths, but like i mentioned there is no funny wear happening out of place....still have the other shoes...it was a frozen cylinder adjuster driving the work and the shoes were a just because i was there thing.

Ear plugs and a boom car radio:)

Way back in the early 80's I had a local shop do my brakes the first time. Mr. Brake was recommended by the guy I got Elsie from. They turned the drums and then ground new shoes to fit the drum - those lasted for years. I did watch one of the guys try and pound the center part of the front wheel cylinders out from the inside like you can do on the rear. That was the only time I ever took her to a shop.

My only thought is some of the adjusting fitting have a taper (front to back) in the slot the shoe rides in - maybe that taper is backward and is pushing the shoe into the drum rather than centering the shoe in the drum.

I bought new shoes, but I riveted them.
There are still plenty of places around who can re-line your old brake shoes - very common on bigger trucks, and almost always riveted.
You also get to choose what friction material you get.

@brian that noise is definitely not right. Reminds me of an old S10 pickup I had decades ago that tore off an entire new rear brake shoe lining shortly after installing it. Just a couple thoughts since you seem to have already troubleshot it quite a bit. Does your ‘75 still have drums in the front? Are you absolutely sure the noise is coming from the rear brakes? I’m only suggesting because my ‘74 with 4 new well-adjusted drums is noisier than my ‘79 with OEM discs in the front. It might be time to just take off the SOR shoes and install some CruiserOutfitter shoes. If I were in your shoes that’s probably what I would do. I have had very good results with those. Good luck.

😂 that sound from the video drives my two Brittanys nuts!

Only makes that noise when brake pedal is pressed?

No front drums.
Yeah about ready to replace the shoes.
Ive played all the games.
Had them adjusted loose, tight, per fsm spec.
Did the 55mph to slow several times.

😂 that sound from the video drives my two Brittanys nuts!

Only makes that noise when brake pedal is pressed?
Yeap only when using them.
Its the worst in stoplight to stoplight city driving.

No experience here to help out but maybe the sound will dissipate after the pads wear a bit (?). Maybe take them to a grinder for removal of a smidgeon of the pad material, but might not help if its truly uniform throughout. I could see SOR using their stealth non-Toyota part number system back in the early competitive days of specialty part supplier but not so much these days. It’s definitely frustrating not knowing their actual source, esp. if it’s Toyota.

Theyre already two months in, with 2000ish miles on them.
I dont recall if the chaos began immediately, but it certainly wasn't long after they were there.

Post up some pictures. Maybe something is rubbing on the axle or flange where you can’t see it.

Mine does it. No idea what make.
My drum is slightly warped but when I reverse they are silent when brakes applied.

not yet. Hasn’t bugged me enough but I should sometime… thanks for the reminder.

Hopefully I don't shoot myself in the foot here....but so far today they have been silent, well quiet for drums, like normal level quiet.
I did nothing. No step down in level either. That video was taken friday evening, same all day Saturday and Sunday. This morning I noticed they were quiet, thought maybe a fluke but so far all good. I did order some new shoes Saturday morning, undoubtedly that is what fixed this, they should be here later this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom