Noisy rear sor brake shoes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you inspected the brakes did you inspect the inside of the drums? Not the braking surface but the area where the edge of the shoe would rub.
Of course

And i did speak too soon about it going away.
Turns out, if i reverse fast enough to be able to get a good foot hold of brake. The loudness will go away for a while, then slowly, progressively return....i am able to reliably repeat these results.
One thing i noticed looking at another rear brake thread, is beveled leading edges of the brake lining material...I'm 90 percent sure my shoes are squared edges on both ends.

So this will be the third time i think got it.
As i think i mentioned before, the leading and trailing ends of the lining wasnt beveled.
The leading edges had almost a chisel edge...some die grinder action later and they are both beveled and quiet..ive been down this road before as well, messing with them and they got quiet for a few miles, and the issue returned. Feel pretty confident about this time however.

20231004_133219.jpg

20231004_133231.jpg

20231004_133236.jpg

20231004_135326.jpg

20231004_133300.jpg

I notice that the face of the drum which sits against the side of the shoes is polished. Have you got contact with the edge of the shoes?
Pretty sure mine don't look like that.
How wide are your shoes?
They are symmetrical, right?

Iam both admitting defeat and claiming victory.
Defeat in that i was unable to definitively determine the cause of the squealing.
Victory in that replacing the sor shoes with advanced zone shoes solved the re re re reoccurring custumer complaint.

From the drivers seat it seemed that both sides were contributing equally to my frustration. Afterlooking at the culprits side by side on the bench it seems it may have only been one side, as it looks like two of the shoes....which were on the same side, though i dont recall which...were not make full contact with drum. The spots of lite gray/tan are unadulterated pure as the driven snow areas of material.

20231005_152234.jpg

20231005_152218.jpg

Last edited:
one thing i noticed but hadnt mentioned. the SOR shoes had less area of material applied... in that the material wasnt wrapped as far along the radius of the metal backing plates.
here some months later and all is still well...and quiet.

a kiss is nice...a handy would be better
20240306_172657.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom