New pig day (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brand new (aftermarket) carb I had on hand is installed. Still needs a rudimentary fuel system.

Will be replaced later, as will the intake manifold.
DC8742AD-3EE3-48E2-97DA-CB44AEEDB74E.jpeg

I have a couple of modern smart chargers, they will not touch a super low battery, so yeah either hit it with an old school charger or hook a good batt up with jumper cables to get it going. I have had good luck with AGM and smart chargers getting them back from the dead, give it a week though as it does a lot of back n forth to get the full charge…at least my charger with recondition mode.
Yep! The alternator went out in the wife's 470. I had put a Dual X2 AGM battery in it. I had not driven it in a while, and she calls me one day to say the truck just stopped.
WTF?
So I get out there and figure out the battery is so dead.
We somehow get it home and my friend lends me his AGM charger. It took at least 4 days to charge! The battery lived about 6 years. I just had it checked last month as the resting voltage was going down to ~12, but alternator was putting out. Battery was down to ~300 CCA, from a spec of >900.
I bought another of the same battery. They are now up to ~$400! And now 4 year warranty instead of 5 years.

On the paint question:

What I think I will do is rattle can the brown either grey blue or something approaching Nebula or Fashion Green. I will probably leave the roof alone as it's shiny brown but this primer looks like (literal) s***e to me. No plans for a beauty queen. Or orange ... any stock color considered.

Not sure what factory-ish 55 colors are out there in spray cans, thoughts?

Only color automotive stores are out of is Nebula Green! (Supply chain issue!) You wont see it for at least 10 years 😘. Blue, Red, or Ornch are sweet 🍬🧁🍭 choices 😉🤔😏😯😳🤣🤣🤣

Damn... and I was going to to paint mine nebula green and white...:bounce:

Just go Fashion Green - close enough!

Yep! The alternator went out in the wife's 470. I had put a Dual X2 AGM battery in it. I had not driven it in a while, and she calls me one day to say the truck just stopped.
WTF?
So I get out there and figure out the battery is so dead.
We somehow get it home and my friend lends me his AGM charger. It took at least 4 days to charge! The battery lived about 6 years. I just had it checked last month as the resting voltage was going down to ~12, but alternator was putting out. Battery was down to ~300 CCA, from a spec of >900.
I bought another of the same battery. They are now up to ~$400! And now 4 year warranty instead of 5 years.
Yep. These are not charging beyond 9-10V so they're junk. I am planning to sell the fancy cables and battery controller to someone who does overlanding or something and just install a standard battery.

Got the alternator brackets, engine hook and alternator installed. Also a new set of plug wires.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.
B1A4F903-C9BC-429E-AA3E-027A8C939218.jpeg
B89B09F2-1F2E-4CA0-BD8E-509417AB5D45.jpeg
416E09D3-F040-45F0-BA2B-C1CA26245C83.jpeg
678188D6-CC6E-4400-981C-1925EEFB76AA.jpeg

It’s winter, so … bathtub paint booth! Air pump bracket getting the treatment.
75189620-FE49-4F98-9EA6-A45E6C7257F4.jpeg

My wife would kill me. No way that would fly….lol

Sometimes you have to time things for when they are out, like washing parts in the dishwasher.

And then they usually come home early!

Got back in the garage and messed with the 55 tonight. PO had stripped one of the carb stud/bolt holes in the manifold so I helicoiled it. Got it crooked on one axis so pressed my luck and tapped it into semi-alignment.

C7F2EC4C-1B89-4E2B-BA18-16D85E42C0DE.jpeg

You may have seen this FJ55 color code by year chart…

37D6CB55-E4F3-4BC7-B62C-67F58EDEBB2C.jpeg

91892C18-4494-4D0F-812F-585F0782EACB.jpeg

Bent a new fuel line tonight. This ni-copp is a pain to work with and I’m not sold on it. It looks nice but it kinks and marrs easily. This turned out just ok. If it doesn’t leak I’m running it.

Maybe a tube bender will help.

Yeah. I've got one, and it does, but you still have to be careful. That Eastwood unit looks nicer, though, so maybe I will order one. Thanks!

Not having anything factory to copy hurts too, as does having the radiator and front clip in the way. You have to get the unused tubing out of the way so you can work, which requires more bending.

I try to rough cut it to size first but that is still guessing, even with string as a guide. Pushing the stuff around to get it situated can cause kinks if you are not careful.

I can see the appeal for lines that have long, straight sections with a few gradual bends, like many brake or fuel lines. If I really wanted a clean look I would go with steel, it is just easier to get a nice result in my experience. This stuff is hard to even get straight. There is a tool to straighten it but I am not interested enough to buy one.

I think that, if I do it again, I will take some solid core wire (maybe dissect some Romex) and make a pattern first.

I made this same line for my 1970 FJ40 tonight and I like it better. Fewer bends and a lot more room to work with the radiator and bib removed made a big difference.

It runs. Worked out what was up with the wiring, got a remote starter button installed, verified fueling and that it turned over.

Grabbed a couple spare ignition coils and worked out the bugs in the ignition.

Points were old and dirty (cleaned), plugs were fouled, worn and the gaps were huge (cleaned and gapped them all), then was finally able to get spark.

It wouldn’t run, turns out I had the distributor 180 out so rather than pull it I rearranged the wires. It starts but needs timing desperately.

This is all OK as I am going to pull the distributor for proper refurb and vacuum advance diaphragm installation, and new points and plugs will go in at that time. Cap rotor and wires are new.

Pleased with this, as the truck came to me with no fuel system to speak of and an aborted AFI injection setup hanging on the engine.

5AA38B92-A85D-43E8-A1BE-00758F1C53DE.jpeg

9E3D1D5E-FF80-4ACA-89E2-3BABF15C53F4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom