New OME springs, somethings wrong (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I installed this 2.5" OME lift a couple years ago. The shackles are MAF dog bones (IIRC). The angle is "ok".

20211021_110903.jpg
20211021_110912.jpg

I had the same issue when I installed OME springs on my BJ42. It took some time, but the springs eventually settled and the shackle angle was fine. But the shackles did invert a few times to the point that I carried a crow bar for 6 months or so if I needed to pry them back.

If you want to double check for lower prices on the OME shackle kits/poly bushings, check with Mark at Mark's offroad and Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. They have reasonable prices and are customer oriented.

Quick point to this post, the OME nylon bushings that came with the kit were yellow. The color yellow doesn't really go with anything on the truck. I returned them and bought black ones from one of the sources on the forum. This project, so far, has spanned a year. Starting to forget what I've bought and from where, but they were listed as bushings for Ome spring kit, and fit perfect. Just to clarify that point.

Quick point to this post, the OME nylon bushings that came with the kit were yellow. The color yellow doesn't really go with anything on the truck. I returned them and bought black ones from one of the sources on the forum. This project, so far, has spanned a year. Starting to forget what I've bought and from where, but they were listed as bushings for Ome spring kit, and fit perfect. Just to clarify that point.
And for that matter above, I'm wondering what people are running for shocks with this 2.5" lift. I don't want yellow OME shocks. As earlier pointed out, this isn't an off roading rig, she's built for show. Looking for shocks in black that will work,..or do I run this topic under a new post? Getting off track
Still have no definitive answer to these shackles. Reckon I drop the tub on it. Sounds like I'll be pulling a leaf out to be honest which sux.

This is my current rear shackle angle on Ruftoys with relocated hangers. Very pleased with the handling.😊

1634860285205.jpeg

The droop was actually shocking. I had it in full droop climbing a ledge at K1 in TX about a decade ago, and the leading edge of the tire (embarrassed to admit they were the same tires) and the leading edge of the tire was an inch forward of the B pillar!

Last edited:
I ran OME’s for nearly 10 years and finally bailed and went to Skyjackers. Springs are longer, have more travel and ride noticeably smoother. I paired them with Bilstein shocks, super pleased.

And for that matter above, I'm wondering what people are running for shocks with this 2.5" lift. I don't want yellow OME shocks. As earlier pointed out, this isn't an off roading rig, she's built for show. Looking for shocks in black that will work,..or do I run this topic under a new post? Getting off track
Still have no definitive answer to these shackles. Reckon I drop the tub on it. Sounds like I'll be pulling a leaf out to be honest which sux.

It seems to me that you did in fact get pretty definitive answers to your question about the shackles. That is not an acceptable angle. It is due to the fact that OME springs are too short. It is a common and well known problem. There are a couple of different approaches to solving it, which were mentioned in the responses.

But wait.... Are you seriously looking to buy shocks based on their color? For real? Color?

I can't even get my head around that. Makes my brain hurt to even try.

Mark...

But wait.... Are you seriously looking to buy shocks based on their color? For real? Color?
Yes color. I've spent the last 6 months sanding, painting, re-painting, wet sanding, buffing. Better believe the right color matters to me. Whichever model I choose will be a color that matches everything else, and it's not yellow.

Yes color. I've spent the last 6 months sanding, painting, re-painting, wet sanding, buffing. Better believe the right color matters to me. Whichever model I choose will be a color that matches everything else, and it's not yellow.
Supposedly a decent shock in the 'black' variety, Dobinson IMS: -> click here <-

See post #768 for what they look like -> click here <-

You can paint the shocks the color you like.

This is OME after 15 years of use , shackle angle is now perfect

Screenshot_20211022_091155_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Reckon I drop the tub on it. Sounds like I'll be pulling a leaf out to be honest which sux.
Since it's a show car, no one will care that you pulled a leaf to get a better shackle angle.

You have a lot of experience prepping and painting, just buy some shocks and paint them. Show cars aren't built for ride quality anyway.

You have a lot of experience prepping and painting, just buy some shocks and paint them. Show cars aren't built for ride quality anyway.
Ha! Paint the shocks, I never thought of that, what a fool I am! Mr. Johnson, thank you for your appreciation in the direction I'm taking this. Certainly not gonna be hitting the circuit show vehicle, just want it to be nice is all.
So I'll put this out there, should I start with the OME anti inversion shackles? Already have them on the list of "should I get?" Current is CCOT 4".
Setting the tub this weekend, weather turning cold, need to get this done. Next is pull a leaf out if that doesn't get it. Fwiw, I don't want to move the mount cuz just powder coated the frame. Shouldn't need to. If all else fails I'll pull the OME's off and run em over with a dozer,..should flatten out after that. And another fwiw, shouldn't have to go through all this. To prospective buyers, beware

Throw a dozen/twenty bags of sand, mulch, something, in the back and let it ride for a couple of months. Ten years of travel in a few weeks. Two big girls will work also, just get the wife's blessing first.
Ah, Rosie the load leveler!

😱

Throw a dozen/twenty bags of sand, mulch, something, in the back and let it ride for a couple of months. Ten years of travel in a few weeks. Two big girls will work also, just get the wife's blessing first.
Yeah, think that's the plan. Get the tub on then load up on sand, let it sit all winter, revisit in the spring, start from there. In lieu of two big girls, I asked the wife if she wanted the job,..didn't go over to well!

Hi all. In the middle of a frame off, getting ready to set the tub hopefully soon. I installed 4 new OME medium springs, 2.5" lift on the rig early spring (I've lost the tags with model numbers) so I can land the frame. I've been staring at these shackles all summer knowing something is wrong, and now it's come to roost because I don't want to set the tub with them like this. I think I did it right? The shackles are obviously pointing the wrong way. Granted there's no weight on the rear, but I had a 800 pound weight on it for a month, still the same. I'm 165 and bouncing on the bumper can barely get the rear to move. Set the engine, front didn't move,..much. I've searched hi and lo for info, the last thing I wanted to do was post pics and get a rap on the knuckles from you all, but I need a solution here. Not currently running a hard top sop hardly no weight gonna be in the ass. If it needs to be fixed, I'd rather before I set the tub. Either they are really,..springy or I'm gonna take a shellacking here. I'm readyView attachment 2817236View attachment 2817237View attachment 2817238View attachment 2817239
I'm voting for the shellacking, for sure :flipoff2:

For reference, I swapped out some tires on the Karma Cruiser this morning. Got a pic with the relocated shackle hangers on that rig. Rides like a dream (2200 miles on and off road trip with it in 2019) and wheeled a 3+ trail at BHCC where everyone else was running 35s.😉
B9B3B4FE-DAF6-40F4-87EA-C28695E04A89.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom