New member possible FZJ80 purchase - PS pump questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

New member and my first post, I've been researching and looking for a FZJ80 for a several months now and there just happens to be a 40th anniversary edition at a local oil change and inspection shop (literally 1/4 mile from my house). The truck is what I'm looking for as a DD - 100% stock, no lockers, clean exterior/interior, 225k miles, 2 owners, TX it's whole life. I stopped in and talked to the owner (of the shop and LC) and it is for sale (not advertised), but it needs a new PS pump. He wants to sell as is.

Here's where I get a bit more hesitant. The owner said he had one of his mechanics replace the PS pump over the summer, but they did something wrong. Now the truck has no power steering and the PS pump is making a loud noise. He took it to the local Toyota dealership and they quoted him around $2,500-3,000. Another local shop quoted him $1,200 to do the PS pump and reseal oil pump cover.

He says the engine is in good shape, and that Toyota did not do any tests on engine. I talked to the guy who checked it out at Toyota, and he confirmed that it'd cost me 2-3 grand before I could (safely) drive the truck.

Lowest the owner has said he'll go is $2,500.

Of course the wife is not happy with the idea of a 'project' or 'toy'. I have a reliable car, and I really want to get one of these 80's for the long haul and learn to do some of the simpler mechanical work, like doing the PS pump and oil cover seal myself (possibly). I've read the FAQs and write-ups on here, and am wondering if the fact that the PS pump has been incorrectly replaced is going to screw things up for me, whether I do the work myself or take it to a shop.

I just wanted to get some opinions from the helpful folks on MUD. Please berate me for any broken guidelines, and :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:.

Scrootinizer

If your competent, you can rebuild the power steering pump in an afternoon for less than $50.
You will not know if you need a new gear till it is removed.

I've just replaced the entire ps pump and hoses.
Cost to replace ps pump?

Shop will charge $500ish to replace PS pump.....that includes the parts - 2hr job or should be.

or 50 bucks to rebuild the one you got!

no advice on the oil pump cover reseal.....

Thanks for the replies ifsmithy and Retrofive,

ifsmithy - I read your thread, did driving with the nicked gear cause any problems when you had the ps pump/hoses replaced?

Retrofive - thanks for linking all the write-ups, I'd seen all of these at one point but now I can refer to them quickly.

Now I just have to convince the boss I'm being a responsible adult and not buying a toy...

Here's my pitch to the Mrs.: it could be worse, like hookers and blow. Seriously, a few years ago when I bought my Cruiser I was 41, working a challenging full time plus job, and juggling two young boys (2 and 5) and grad school at the same time. Buying a 1996 Land Cruiser, and selling my very practical 2003 Honda CR-V didn't "make sense." Except in the sense that I it was what I wanted to do. Many of us men who are married, particularly while working hard and raising kids, feel boxed in at times. That is a bad feeling, and I think it's why a lot of men cheat and/or are unhappy. You can call it a mid-life crisis if you want, but I think we need to do something which is more driven by emotion than reason occasionally. It might be buying a mountain bike, or taking up scuba diving, or getting that car or truck you always yearned for. While I can't advise anyone to buy a car they truly can't afford and put themselves in hopeless debt (that would be dumb), it might be worth pointing out to the wife that satisfying an emotional need is very important, even if it can't be completely justified by drawing up the traditional Franklin Chart. Good luck.

I only drove around 20 or so miles on it knicked - new gear seems fine

Thanks for the replies ifsmithy and Retrofive,

ifsmithy - I read your thread, did driving with the nicked gear cause any problems when you had the ps pump/hoses replaced?

Retrofive - thanks for linking all the write-ups, I'd seen all of these at one point but now I can refer to them quickly.

Now I just have to convince the boss I'm being a responsible adult and not buying a toy...

Thanks agent, I will have to tread carefully in any future "discussions" about the LC with my wife. I seem to be a pro at digging myself in holes when we start talking about cruisers. I thought she'd be more inclined to letting me buy a cheaper FZJ80 that needed a little work, boy was I wrong. :doh:

I only drove around 20 or so miles on it knicked - new gear seems fine

Ok, good to know. I haven't read anything about a damaged gear causing problems where it fits into the engine, but this is part of my concern with this particular truck.

Ok, good to know. I haven't read anything about a damaged gear causing problems where it fits into the engine, but this is part of my concern with this particular truck.

Here is how to remove the gear.
Using a vice with wood on jaws grab the gear. Run nut off with impact.
Use 3 prong puller to pop the gear off tapered shaft (tool rental at Autozone if you don't have one)

Many have had good luck with Gates Rebuild kit, make sure you get gasket that seals pump to engine from dealership.
1 Qt of Full Synthetic ATF
2' of 5/8" Gates Oil Compatible hose.

Anyone in his area willing to go look at it? It may be a screaming deal for him or that helpful someone if he can't get it.

Your first mistake was asking for permission.

Rule #1: Buy first. Apologize L later.
Rule #2: ALWAYS blame the seller for any issues with said Cruiser. Example: "I know honey, that sonuvabitch didn't mention anything about the PS pump needing replaced! A$$hole! Well, at least I can fix it myself thanks to these great guys on Mud! I saved us $2000 by doing it myself!"

I am The Godfather. You're welcome!

I've got a lot to learn from MUD... anybody have any ideas on how to avoid bodily harm from the wife if I buy this truck??

But seriously, I'd like to go check it out again this weekend and drive it w/o PS. I didn't test drive it the first time I looked and the owner started it up - the PS pump noise was pretty bad and I was actually going to look at another FZJ80 that week so I wasn't in a rush.

Worst part of all this is I drive past the truck everyday on my way to work...

I've got a lot to learn from MUD... anybody have any ideas on how to avoid bodily harm from the wife if I buy this truck??

But seriously, I'd like to go check it out again this weekend and drive it w/o PS. I didn't test drive it the first time I looked and the owner started it up - the PS pump noise was pretty bad and I was actually going to look at another FZJ80 that week so I wasn't in a rush.

Worst part of all this is I drive past the truck everyday on my way to work...

Scroll down to the post by @jonheld

"It is a disease..."

Cite your wedding vows "In sickness and in health..."

The thread I never thought I'd start...

This morning she told me "I know you're going to get fed up with talking about it and just buy that f***ing thing" .... so I feel like we're moving in the right direction.

Thanks for the input everyone, hopefully I'll join the club and be bugging you guys for years to come.

If I get a hard no from the boss or find a different truck, I'm more than happy to give someone the location of this FZJ80 (TX truck its whole life, 40th anniv Antique Sage Pearl ext looked good, two-tone leather seats in good cond., no lockers, stock, tires looked a bit bald). Like Tedward said, this could be a great deal for someone with a longer leash and a bigger toolbox if it's not destined to be mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom