Cost to replace ps pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Struggling for the time to get this done before heading out of town for work in a few days - lack a couple of extensions that stopped me doing it today....

Anyone got a ballpark for a mechanic to do this? Labor only - i have the parts.....

Took me bout hr to do mine helps to have a press to get old gear off. All in all I did it over lunch break. I'd say you prob be in 2 hrs at shop so any where from 150 to 200 bucks. Pretty simple to do and also changed out high pressure hose with Napa one

Struggling for the time to get this done before heading out of town for work in a few days - lack a couple of extensions that stopped me doing it today....

Anyone got a ballpark for a mechanic to do this? Labor only - i have the parts.....

Since time is of the essence, what's wrong with the PS pump ? Is it leaking badly or something else wrong?

I've been fighting a slow leak for a few months - it's not from the hoses but planning to change them out regardless...

Am now loosing 2oz per 12 hrs and it's beginning to start groaning....

Since time is of the essence, what's wrong with the PS pump ? Is it leaking badly or something else wrong?

Where is the leak coming from?

There is a small O-ring on the suction side of the pump where the fatter hose drops down from the reservoir to a pipe bolted to the side of the pump. That O-ring is a common culprit for leaks and is easy to replace.

Whining by itself IMHO is not a reason to replace a PS pump on a 1FZFE; my pump whined for years until I switched the fluid to Mobil DTE24 hydraulic fluid.

Last edited:
mine's whined for years as well...

I vote for stocking up on fluid and changing when you have time.
It's a somewhat gratifying job and it's cheap.
I replaced the bearing (while I was in there) and it was fine so if I did again I'd roll with original bearing.
The GATES kit is proven. You will need a puller and an Air Impact Wrench makes getting gear off a snap.
348407 Power Steering Pump Seal Kit $ 14.32

I'd say there's about 1.5 to 2 hours at Mitchell rate. It took an afternoon to remove, rebuild, and reinstall my pump and new hoses. If I had to do it all over again, I might be tempted to just put in a new one...it was really, really hot that day. The tutorials here on Mud are pretty good and there's no magic, just patience.

Tips for DIY:
-Go in through the wheel well after you pull the splash shield

Tools/Materials: Metric flare wrenches, an Xacto knife, a seat pick, 12pt impact socket and a 3-jaw gear puller are the only non-common tools I can think of. I bought a margarine tub of automatic transmission assembly paste to make lubing the o-rings and keeping the pump vanes in place; I needed about a ketchup packet's worth. I replaced my bearing because my original was kinda gritchy.

I've been fighting a slow leak for a few months - it's not from the hoses but planning to change them out regardless...

Am now loosing 2oz per 12 hrs and it's beginning to start groaning....

I say go on your trip with a bottle of PS fluid or ATF and deal with this repair after your return. No need to add any more to your plate right before a trip. You may open up a whole another can of worms with this project, who knows! Besides, we drive gas hogs and you need all the gas money you can get gather up!!!

It's a super simple replacement to do yourself. If you have to have it done because you can't find an hour or two then any competent shop should be able to do it for 2 hours shop rate which is pretty standard regardless of actual needed time. It's just a minimum charge type of deal. Where I'm at shops rate is pretty broad spectrum..$65 hr to $140hr at some specialty shops

took the advice most gave - fought the leak with more fluid! I wasn't leaving on a trip with the LC but really wanted it done before i got back as bad week when i return..... Ended up going through 4 oz of atf in 6 or so hrs - the leak was not coming from anything obvious (hose etc) - i have the replacement pump and obvios gaskets from beno and low pressure hoses from phhkit - need to source the high pressure hose from napa? so i can hopefully do this all at once......

thanks all for the tips and advice!

It's a super simple replacement to do yourself. If you have to have it done because you can't find an hour or two then any competent shop should be able to do it for 2 hours shop rate which is pretty standard regardless of actual needed time. It's just a minimum charge type of deal. Where I'm at shops rate is pretty broad spectrum..$65 hr to $140hr at some specialty shops

My 80's PS pump had a slow seep from the rear O-ring for years until I added a couple ounces of ATP AT-205 re-sealer, seep stopped. However with such a large leak it may not help.

ATP Automotive AT-205 Re-Seal

took the advice most gave - fought the leak with more fluid! I wasn't leaving on a trip with the LC but really wanted it done before i got back as bad week when i return..... Ended up going through 4 oz of atf in 6 or so hrs - the leak was not coming from anything obvious (hose etc) - i have the replacement pump and obvios gaskets from beno and low pressure hoses from phhkit - need to source the high pressure hose from napa? so i can hopefully do this all at once......

Rock Auto has a few on their website. Gates is $40.
More Information for GATES 365550

Mine leaks too, makes an epic mess. Rebuilt it thinking that since the back was covered in fluid it must be the pump. Apparently it's one of the hoses near the side of the radiator by the steering gear box. The fan just does a good job of making sure everything gets Coated lol. Kinda hard to spot a leak using dye when as soon as you fire up the engine everything looks like it's leaking..

Amazon has a killer high pressure hose from Gates for a super good price.

scarred up one of the teeth on the PS gear - now its ticking :bang:

Anyone have the part number for this - having a little trouble tracking it down.

thanks!

Very easy to screw up the gear, you need to line the vise with wood according to FSM iirc. I THINK this is the PN, but ask beno to be sure: 44316-60020

Just know, that part number is LIKELY to be wrong.

Very easy to screw up the gear, you need to line the vise with wood according to FSM iirc. I THINK this is the PN, but ask beno to be sure: 44316-60020

Just know, that part number is LIKELY to be wrong.

The part number is correct.

And how the fxxx do I end up getting dragged into these conversations?

I have no bone in any of this.

The part number is correct.

And how the **** do I end up getting dragged into these conversations?

I have no bone in any of this.
Hey cranky pants, people mentions YOU ALL THE time here for proper parts and where to order from. But I guess you don't give a s*** anymore so will recommend people elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom