New here- help me learn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just started my search and you all seem to have extensive knowledge on the fj40s.
I’m not much of a car guy, and would love feedback on this listing. I know there are not many pics. Price seems low to me. Not a fan of the seats. Looks to be automatic.

I sent an email about steering, brakes and asking for more pics.

I’m sure you all see red flags, and I’m here to learn. What should I be noticing here.

Forgot to mention- I’d be driving work- fall and garage in winter. No plans for off roading either.

Well, looks like it has been restomodded with aftermarket gauges, chevy stuff , not original seats, quarter flares, diamond plate (hides issues), and looks like wrong steering wheel. So, the first choice is do you want a stock vehicle or one with modifications. Some people are purists and some enjoy the changes. Either way the one you show seems priced right for what it is.

Seems like a lot of people put the 350 in. Is this a bad thing?
I get that it’s from a totally different car, and they should have used the term “updated”.

Seems like a lot of people put the 350 in. Is this a bad thing?
I get that it’s from a totally different car, and they should have used the term “updated”.
It’s a matter what you want. A stock rig generally has more value than a modified rig on the open market. There are exceptions to this, but it’s generally true. Yes the first one is a restomod for sure and possibly a conglomeration of parts from different years. I have a 350 and Chevy 4speed, I like it, but others prefer the essence of an all original LC. Personal preference.

Forgot to mention- I’d be driving work- fall and garage in winter. No plans for off roading either.
Depending on your needs to drive to work:
  • If you have a leisurely drive to work, get the stocker. It’ll likely cruise at 55mph and be enjoyabable with the top off.

• if you have a high speed, heavy traffic drive to work, get the restomod. It’ll likely do better than 60mph and has safety items like cage and disc brakes.

• if you have a really gnarly drive to work, keep your current commuter that gets you there and buy the one that appeals to you and drive it on the weekends.
one other thought, but those seats in the restomod say off-roader to me and they may not be to your preference as a commuter. Might speak to other mods on the truck as well.

Ride to work is easy, no highway - about 15 min. I would like to take it on the highway, as I do get to parts of Chicago and surrounding burbs on occasion. I do prefer the original seating to the off roading “upgrade”.

Thanks for the info. It helps!

I’m not much of a car guy

Don't make any newly-purchased FJ40 your only driver. All used FJ40s will have issues, some of which will likely leave you fixing it at the roadside.

I presume you have a DD car you can drive in the winter (and to the parts store)?

Ride to work is easy, no highway - about 15 min. I would like to take it on the highway, as I do get to parts of Chicago and surrounding burbs on occasion. I do prefer the original seating to the off roading “upgrade”.

Thanks for the info. It helps!

You sound a lot like this guy in Chicago. I am buying a FJ40 this Sunday. Need help.

Using a 40 as a DD in Chicago will not be enjoyable. If you intend to drive it in the winter the road salt will decimate the body. Traffic on the Eisenhower or Kennedy will be miserable. Like others have said - reliability is a concern as 40 year old parts do fail/wear out. A 40 moving at 60 miles an hour is very loud and very hot.

That being said - they are a hell of a lot of fun but a DD in an urban setting should be reconsidered. Oh, and security? Well there is none.

So, I would go with the Canadian 40. It's intact (from what is shown). 350 conversions can be well done or hacked...and there will never be any documentation on how the wiring harness was "modified". I'm a purest...stick with a 2F.

Good luck

Oh, and security? Well there is none.
If you get one with a full cage, after market steering wheel locks are affordable and easy to install!!!
IMG_20151019_222509.jpg

(of course, it's not the most convenient.)

@bluemud - have you ever driven a 40? I love my 60, and just purchased a 40. I daily drive my 60 and it's a pretty basic machine, but the 40 is archaic when compared to a modern vehicle. I like that about it, but as a daily driver in Chicago? ehh.. no.

Thanks for the info. No winter driving in this car. It will be garage kept during the cold months. I’ll check out tour recs.

The 74, is the year where two different engines were used at the factory. You want the latter one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom