New BJ40 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I am a foreign service officer serving at the U.S. Embassy in Paramaribo, Suriname. While here I needed a set of wheels and got an outstanding deal on a 1984 BJ40 (diesel model). It runs, drives, works great. Don’t get me wrong, its old and needs some TLC in various places, but everything is there with little to no modifications from the original manufacturer. I don’t know the complete history on it but I believe it was delivered here sometime in the 80’s direct from Japan as all the writing on the interior of the vehicle is in Japanese.

It currently has 62,000 Kilometers on the engine (38,500 Miles) as there aren’t many places to drive to in Suriname. Also, it’s Right Hand Drive and a standard transmission. I have also been told that I have a very sought after winch on it, apparently one that is powered by the transmission rather than electrical motors (please correct me if I’m wrong). I have had offers here of $5,000 USD as is right now. I would rather see it go to an American though that would appreciate it rather than a Surinamese who will just beat the crap out of it and leave it in his back yard just to say he owns a car. As far as shipping goes, I can get it back to the states without any problems and for free, but once I get it there I would probably be looking to sell it.

Going off what I’ve told you thus far, can you give me a ballpark figure of its worth? Like every car guy, you want to buy low and sell high. In my case, I want to be somewhat certain that should I ship it back someone would be willing to buy it for close to the same figure I have been offered here. I’m not asking you to purchase it, but my question is more of “is this car considered some sort of value stateside”. I understand that my buyers market would be limited to collector clubs like yours or possibly someone that wants to get involved in your hobby. Perhaps you know someone that wants to dive into your kinda weekends but doesn’t own a land cruiser yet. I have pictures that I can send as well as further documentation (vin or whatever else you need).

Any information would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

Nate

I assure you that I'm not a scam artist. I'm just a dude looking for information. Just to prove I'm real, I watched tony romo throw for over 500 yards today and still lose the game. Haha.

Nate,

I saw a fully restore bj40 listed for $65,000.... it was a really impressive set up though....

Johnny C: I didn't pay a dime for the car. I acquired it through a trade. Us embassy personnel transfer out every couple of years so there was a guy that was leaving that needed a quick set of wheels in the states. I traded my 1999 Ford Expedition that was back in DC for his 1984 LC that was located in suriname. It solved both our problems. I'm just curious as to what it'll be worth in America as I can have it shipped back with me when I leave Suriname in 6 months. I was offered 5K for it here.

Anyway, here's some pics. Take a gander and let me know.
DSC01943.JPG
DSC01944.JPG
DSC01945.jpg
DSC01946.JPG
DSC01947.JPG

An LX? But only 2 wipers? If I had to guess I would say you could get 15k at least in the states, depending on rust....especially as its a diesel...rhd would be a negative there I would think, but you never know

Thanks Coleman, I appreciate the info. There's a little bit of rust, a few spots here and there. mostly on the doors that I have found. I would be happy with getting 9 or more out of it.

If anyone else has any input I'd love to hear it.

Ask Champa here he has a couple i think, goes back and forth to Au and US...he would have a good handle on it

The LX's over in Asia only have 2 wipers, so that would be correct.

Looks like a nice truck, they are worth a lot over in Indonesia, so you may find it is better to sell it there and buy a good one back home. Check out the prices first!

The doors are starting to rust, so you might want to stick some rust converter in there - see the rusty streaks on the rockers.

Looks pretty much original and LX's are hard to come by! Wish it was mine!!! There are stacks of parts over there, so if you are gonna keep it, check what you need (rubbers, badges, handles, switches, etc and buy them there (cheap!!).

The winch is the standard PTO - get some spare shear pins for it as they are the weak point (by design). You can get them from the breakers over there for about IDR1,500,000 (US$150!!) - that's for the FULL PTO set!!

Is that a 3B engine?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom