1976 HJ45 pickup project. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All. First post here but I've been reading for a while, great site, lots of people willing to share their knowledge, so thanks already for what I've learned so far. Recently bought a '76 HJ45 and a '75 BJ40 from the same owner, both been standing for a few years but after the seller charged the batts and checked the fluids for me the day before, was able to fire them both straight up and drive them home.

Plans are flexible but am inclined to sell one and keep the other. Both in good state considering their age. We get about 90mm of rain per year and winter temps rarely below 12C so they've never seen road salt. The 45 chassis and bodywork have very little rust so going to work on that one first.
IMAG0357.jpg
IMAG0331.jpg

Taking it apart

Hood, fenders, bib, doors & roof off. Can tell it was originally red. Whoever painted it last time did a reasonable job of the paintwork but was maybe in a hurry putting it back together, roughly half the number of bolts it should have were present.

Going to remove body and tray for rust prep and repainting. As yet undecided on whether I will leave engine and running gear on frame - depends what I find. Chassis looks totally rust free, but while I'm stripping it am tempted to rust proof anyway to ensure it stays that way for another decade or more.
IMAG0374.jpg
IMAG0370.jpg

Welcome..

That HJ45 looks pristine! :clap:

Very nice 45! But where are the pics if the 40?

The 40 is in the garage behind the engine. You'll recognize it right away, it's the red one with the upside down bezel. :D

OP, that looks mint. Good score.

Only work done since last post was to remove seats. It's going to be a bit slow for a couple of weeks as need to prepare the workplace and take a short holiday. Then will go to town on this 45 mid September.

At least one, and probably all, of the engine mounts are in bad shape. Looking at around $400 for a new set. Seems you are paying for the whole assembly, metal plus rubber, when it's only the rubber that is shot so what's the Mud consensus on whether it's worth reconditioning the mounts? Not only from the point of cost, but the original parts are vulcanised rubber I assume, and I suppose there are better materials these days. Rose tinted view is I can just cut some pieces of PU and bond them in place of the worn rubber parts? I've seen some references to restoring mounts on other threads, but not much detail or a review of how well they performed afterwards.

Whoever last removed and reinstalled the pickup tray decided mounts weren't necessary, so similarly I need to buy a set of these. Again, if there's a better way than buying the old tech originals then I'm open to it. Not looking for body lift.

Accessories on the shopping list:
- 1" - 1.5" lift shackles
- 33x10.5 tyres
- Roll bar
- ARB front bumper or lookalike
- Electric winch
- Manual front hub lockers
- Metal half doors

Possibles:
- power steering
- disk brakes
- soft top (just something basic for shade)

If I keep the vehicle, it will see regular off road use. It will be going places where you need 4x4, low ratio, diff lock & ground clearance, but it won't be going anywhere that would put it at risk of being abused. Abuse is reserved for the suzuki samurai.

Last edited:
The mounts for the tray are just square pieces of 1/2" rubber that go between the tray support rails and the frame mounts. You could easily make those yourself.

I have some 1/2" rubber flooring that I will use to replace mine.

Slow progress

Not done much, just a little more stripping down with the aim of getting to a rolling chassis pretty soon.

Did take delivery of a troopy in the meantime

I'll put a troopy pic up soon. I guess it's on-topic for the pickup's thread as the troopy might lend a few parts now and then

needs head for H engine and a bit of tidying up

Looks straight with little in the way of rust...

Nice...

:beer:

PS. You'll have to update your signature line.

That's quite a collection of vehicles!

stripped down a bit more

Not exactly rushing this job... Rear tray off, tub is coming off too eventually when I have decided what to do with the wiring.
IMAG0596.jpg

Brakes stripped. Half the cylinder pistons were seized. Will hone them out but still might end up replacing. Brake lines are probably OK but will make up new copper ones anyway as they´re easy and cheap enough to do, and always worthwhile to make the upgrade to copper. Considering how long the vehicle was standing, there is a risk of rust inside the old lines despite them looking OK from the outside and at the ends.

... I´ll post pic when upload page decides to cooperate

Good to see another diesel powered 45 getting restored on mud. Its great reading other mud members build threads, it gives you motivation and ideas for your own build. Very clean looking 45. Rust proofing everything you can while you have eveything apart is the way to go. Keep up the good work and the pics :cheers:

Having got the BJ40 roadworthy last week, This HJ45 is getting some attention. Continuing with the strip down, the main wiring harness remains in the cab but has been disconnected from everything in front of the firewall. Took loads of pics so I know how to put everything back, even tho it seems obvious where everything goes now, it could be a while before the reassembly.

Passenger side firewall and battery area:
IMAG0714.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom