New 1FZ shortblock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought a new 1FZ short block last year when there was 1 available in the US. @OGBeno ordered me the necessary the valve parts and I rebuilt a used head. Block is built at original factory, and now ready to go when needed for the 80, which I plan on keeping indefinitely. A heck of a lot easier for me than rebuilding an engine. For the block, I just ordered (pre-paid) it and picked it up (well a forklift did) at the local parts counter.

Last edited:
Peek all you like! It's as clean as it will ever be... (*now installed)
25710.jpeg

Is there something Im missing? Why the desire for 1fz shortblocks? Why not just rebuild the old shortblock if no catastrophic damage has occurred? You can use aftermarket pistons that likely have the same, if not improved metallurgy and skirt coating compared to 1997 technology I would think.

OEM. Made in Japan, on the assembly line known worldwide for producing some rock-solid engine cores. That's the allure.

Plus, when your original engine has piston slap in #3 & #4 cylinders, given the availability, cost, and reliability since I intended to keep it, it was a no-brainer. How long will they keep that production line going? Not forever.

OEM. Made in Japan, on the assembly line known worldwide for producing some rock-solid engine cores. That's the allure.

Plus, when your original engine has piston slap in #3 & #4 cylinders, given the availability, cost, and reliability since I intended to keep it, it was a no-brainer. How long will they keep that production line going? Not forever.
Should be able to bore out any wear from piston slap. Typically a high mileage 1fz is able to be reused by being bored.

Personally I'm not against rebuilding a used block (even though I bought a new one while they were still available as mine was toast). I wasn't able to find a reputable 1FZFE engine rebuilder within 200 miles so it was just a bit easier to just go with new.

FWIW I talked with a couple of experienced 1FZFE engine builders (none of them local to me) and they both said that they prefer starting with a seasoned block (if salvageable). And one highly experienced machinist I talked to out in California said he can get even closer tolerances, straighter bores, etc, than a new OEM block when he machines a used block.

And if you do the calculations using OEM parts including larger pistons the total cost to rebuild a short block can end up being very close to the cost of a new OEM short block.

I think one reason (for everyone) to buy a new short block is
so you will have one if your original block becomes un-rebuildable. And maybe an added benefit of new orders might be to help keep the factory busy making more short blocks for the rest of us as long as possible?? ;)

Last edited:
Minus the valve cover are the rest of the parts to complete the engine still available?

Just a few parts are NLA at this time such as upper oil pan. You can still get just about everything to build a new engine from scratch.

Cheers

Morning Mud:flipoff2:

Well I'm joining the new 1fz short block club, I'll be headed over to my Mr T guy to pick it up this week.

It's been almost a year since I finished the 1fz refresh and she's running great. However, I feel relieved and am looking forward to having the short block in the shop ready to go.

Any tips from y'all on taking delivery? I'll look for any hard shipping damage, anything else to look for?

Morning Mud:flipoff2:

Well I'm joining the new 1fz short block club, I'll be headed over to my Mr T guy to pick it up this week.

It's been almost a year since I finished the 1fz refresh and she's running great. However, I feel relieved and am looking forward to having the short block in the shop ready to go.

Any tips from y'all on taking delivery? I'll look for any hard shipping damage, anything else to look for?
My short block came from Japan with what looked like desiccant crystal exploded all up inside of it. Grit and contaminants were everywhere. I’d check for that, not that there is anything Toyota will do about it. Well they might tell you to pound sand.
0E27D1D7-BF2F-4F12-9CA2-7997C9F91383.jpeg
75601E3C-6F52-486D-B959-3A182F1EB3A1.jpeg
8520B2B5-F5E5-41DC-9AAB-BB8B65C8035D.jpeg
881CF920-4E17-4A31-B24A-B98C0495FCF2.jpeg

Took me a while to clean her up, but otherwise she is now in my truck and running as of today actually. I asked if there was any recourse after opening up the box and I was laughed at. I asked Onur what his thoughts were and he had some colorful things to say which made me LMAO. I simply got to cleaning and blowing out all the orifices for days on end.

My short block came from Japan with what looked like desiccant crystal exploded all up inside of it. Grit and contaminants were everywhere. I’d check for that, not that there is anything Toyota will do about it. Well they might tell you to pound sand.
View attachment 3258868View attachment 3258869View attachment 3258870View attachment 3258871
Took me a while to clean her up, but otherwise she is now in my truck and running as of today actually. I asked if there was any recourse after opening up the box and I was laughed at. I asked Onur what his thoughts were and he had some colorful things to say which made me LMAO. I simply got to cleaning and blowing out all the orifices for days on end.
Donkey ballz

View attachment 3258868View attachment 3258869View attachment 3258870View attachment 3258871
Awesome, I'll be on the lookout

I have a calibrated straight edge but has anyone heard of any Factory flatness issues with the mating surfaces?

I have a friend that owns a race engine shop over in Suisun California he offered to check all the surfaces for me I might drop it off with him.

During the recent 1fz refresh, He did my head for me but if I have him do the new head ill get in the FSM and make sure he's familiar with cutting the valves he's always been a Ford guy but does amazing detailed work. I've been hoarding shims for almost a year every chance I get in anticipation for this project.

If not I'll find someone local in NorCal that's super familiar with building the heads.

Man, to say I'm excited it's an understatement! New Short block!!! The realization of another dream is coming to fruition!

For many years I dreamed of having an 80, the last 4 years of building, restoring, adventuring, and caretaking has been an amazing journey!

I would love the opportunity to find another to build with and pass on eventually to the kids ❤️

Last edited:
Nice update, friend.

Not sure what your plans are, but I'd def get a new factory head to match the fresh new block. No half-arsing it. Gl!

Nice update, friend.

Not sure what your plans are, but I'd def get a new factory head to match the fresh new block. No half-arsing it. Gl!
Absolutely agreed I plan to get a brand new Factory head as well as cams.

I'd like to find a factory supercharger I know there's one out there somewhere, sitting on someone's shelf with my name on it that someone would like to see go to a good forever home.

I ordered a second set of ARP head studs when I did my 1fz refresh so I've got that squared away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom