Need tires for my DD - would like something better than ATs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

el bender - are you in costa rica or stateside?

Those are sweet looking tires, would love those on my troopy, how much?

Avoid these tires. I've just finished running a set on a FJ60. Decent on the road, long life, ca. 80k miles, but poor in the mud. The main reason that I recommend to go with some other tire is that in the end the sidewalls began to fail without notice. In two tires punctures developed at without the sidewalls being stressed, i.e. pressed or rubbed against rock etc.

I've run Hankooks on work vehicles and had the side walls go as well, the more you do on the pavment the worse they last............

I'm running Goodyear MTR's and they run great on and off road. If you do more on road check out the cooper mt they are a bit harder rubber with similar pattern as MTR's but you will get great millage out of them.

perfect tire close to oem look ..i guess we never see that tire in USA....:rolleyes:
Dunno. I think a bit of pressure from The Mud Crowd might make a difference.
They're a damn fine tire and we have the honor of having the crappiest roads on the planet.
The power company here uses them on almost all of the trux (Toyota of course).
The power players only respond to demands. HOLLER AT THEM.
:popcorn:

I have run BFG AT's on several trucks and have gotten over 60k out of each set. We also have a set of the Cooper Discoverer SST MT's on my wifes 4 door Jeep Sahara. They ride pretty good but have gotten really loud since we went over the 30k mark and are wearing unevenly even after being rotated regularly.

Wow, lots of options in here, thanks folks.

I have BFG AT's right now on my 42 - I think they're good tires, but they don't look very cool and after only moderate wheeling they're pretty beat up. In particular my trips to pismo have really rounded off every sharp edge on them. I've never gotten to try a more off-road-y type tire and am eager to find out what they can do compared to the ATs.

I had a set of Toyo Open Country MT's while up in Alaska and they did well in the snow and mud and looked great, but they did not last long and boy are they noisy. Next set I switched to Open Country AT's and the off road grip is not as good, they don't self clean as well but on road they are quiet and seem to be lasting longer.

Bridgestone desert duallers is what I run....good for highway and if you want to be careful in the bush they work fine...just work on tyre pressures...get that right and you will be sailing.

Armstrong Tru-Trac. The best looking tire for an FJ40. Worked great off road too. Sadly, no longer available. If it were, this would be my choice hands down.
CCF01222008_00006.jpg

There was a good AT tire comparison in 4WD action Australia a few months back and the Cooper ST MAXX and Pirreli Scorpion AT (irrc) where tied for first place. Was a really good test. The only thing they where not able to test was winter conditions and longevity...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom