Need help pricing 1980 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mudders.

I am in need of help pricing a 1980 FJ40 that I am selling for a friend. He is in his mid-80s and some medical conditions preclude him from driving. He believes he is the second owner of this white 1980 FJ40 which he has had for nearly 40 years. He took really good care of it.

I just looked it over and took a bunch of pictures for him. The truck has 70,xxx on it, which he believes to be the original miles. It has 4 wheel discs brakes, a 350 cubic inch Chevy engine with Edelbrock 4 bbl carb, and what I think is aftermarket power steering, Engine oil looked clean on the dipstick. There's evidence of oil leakage from the lower engine, transmission, transfer case and front diff.

I wasn't able to start it today due to a dead battery. (It's on the charger now.) His wife said that a year to a year and-a-half ago he was driving it regularly. Rust is minor for the most part.

It includes rear jump seats that look practically new. A passenger's (I think) seat in similar condition. I don't know where the driver's seat is. The vehicle has racing seats in it currently. Original rear heater and (I've never actually seen one in person until today) the original tool bag with tools. Upper and lower dash pads are present and in good condition.

I have more pictures, including the interior, but it won't let me attach more than five.

I was thinking in the neighborhood of $15,000 once I verify it still runs and drives. On this forum I suspect the following is uneccessary but ... What do you think? Thanks.

Aaron

Left Front.JPG

1980 FJ40 Right Front.JPG

Engine bay driver's side.JPG

Rear.JPG

Front.JPG

Easy, you can just create a new post and keep adding 5 more pics.

Based on your limited pictures and information, considering it runs and drives, I would think somewhere between $10k-$15k would be a good selling point. Still plenty more to evaluate but even with the 350 engine swap it should be a good foundation for the potential buyer is.

Easy, you can just create a new post and keep adding 5 more pics.

Based on your limited pictures and information, considering it runs and drives, I would think somewhere between $10k-$15k would be a good selling point. Still plenty more to evaluate but even with the 350 engine swap it should be a good foundation for the potential buyer is.
Thanks!

More pics.

Driver's interior door panel.JPG

Steering column cover is in the vehicle but not installed. I'm not sure why. The headlight switch was stolen but the knob is in the truck.
Instruments Cluster.JPG

Passenger's interior door panel.JPG

Seats.JPG

Interior hump.JPG

Original tools with bag. Rear quarters were replaced but have some rust and bondo.

Tools.JPG

Tool bag.JPG

Right rear corner rust & bondo.JPG

Door lower corners are rusted but not all the way through.
Passenger's door rust.JPG

There are a couple of dime-sized holes in the rear floor pan.
Interior rear.JPG

Ambulance doors, jump seats.
Now that Toyota owns 25% of Subaru this gear oil can be used in a 1:4 ratio in differentials.
Left ambulance door lower.JPG

Left ambulance door interior.JPG

Jump seat folded.JPG

Jump seat.JPG

Interior from rear.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like it may have an overdrive based on the third stick in the tranny hump. The market will be limited to non-smog nazi states due to the engine swap. Not a big deal. Not sure on value as the market is kind of weird right now. I think the $10-15k mentioned earlier is the ballpark.

Looks like it may have an overdrive based on the third stick in the tranny hump. The market will be limited to non-smog nazi states due to the engine swap. Not a big deal. Not sure on value as the market is kind of weird right now. I think the $10-15k mentioned earlier is the ballpark.
Yeah. He said it had some sort of overdrive and indicated that stick closest to the driver. I've not seen that before.

Odd choice of seats for an 80+ year old. For me 10K would be at the top of my comfort level. There looks to be a lot of corrosion on the motor and drivetrain to work through. With that said If it was sitting there with factory seats and a few of the missing bits inside replaced it would be easier for me to up the value personally.

Odd choice of seats for an 80+ year old. For me 10K would be at the top of my comfort level. There looks to be a lot of corrosion on the motor and drivetrain to work through. With that said If it was sitting there with factory seats and a few of the missing bits inside replaced it would be easier for me to up the value personally.
Yeah. I don't know why he put those seats in there, or when, but he's had the truck a really long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom