Thinking about selling my 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suzuguru

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm currently considering selling my 1980 model 40 to help fund an LJ73 purchase. That being said, I have no clue what my current 40 is worth. Reason being, it's in great condition, with the exception of some horrible rust in certain areas. I will probably be selling it locally, but I was hoping to get some idea of what it might be worth. The worst rust areas are the floor pans in the front, the rear corners, and the rear sill.

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you have a ride that needs a new tub. You need to find someone willing to take on that task. Keep it and handle that task and then buy the new ride.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I'm just wanting to get something that's more user friendly when it comes to weekend trips within say 125 miles or so one-way.

It is certainly a desirable year and driveline. As said here, the rust issue on this year is the major issue. There is a new place to get it back to greatness. Or at least you can see what a buyer would have to invest into it and price accordingly'

Unfortunately, you have a ride that needs a new tub.
There is so many projects like this done without tub change. Every body part is available; quarters, floor, sill, etc.

Mine was in quite similar condition and changed the 1/2 tub, afterwards I have thought it would been simplier just to get new panels which were bad.

I’d say that it’s about $8k in that condition, it’s still original and unmolested, very good starting point for restoration.

There is so many projects like this done without tub change. Every body part is available; quarters, floor, sill, etc.

Mine was in quite similar condition and changed the 1/2 tub, afterwards I have thought it would been simplier just to get new panels which were bad.

I’d say that it’s about $8k in that condition, it’s still original and unmolested, very good starting point for restoration.

Thanks for the prospective and the info on price. I appreciate it!

I'd say it's worth more than $8K, but professional repairs and a good repaint would be $20K+. Obviously, it's worth ultimately what someone will pay you for it. You could see if Bring a Trailer would list it.

I'd say it's worth more than $8K, but professional repairs and a good repaint would be $20K+. Obviously, it's worth ultimately what someone will pay you for it. You could see if Bring a Trailer would list it.

I agree. A 3/4 tub runs around 5k. It runs and drives pretty good for a 40, so if one were so inclined, it could be fixed with floor pans, rear corners, and a rear sill. With those repairs, a lot of fun could still be had with it. It didn't even cross my mind to consider BAT. Might be an option.

There are some online tools that can help you determine value. For instance, Hagerty has such a tool available.

Your 40 looks like it's in better condition than mine, although your rust is more extensive. Yours is a lot more original and maybe more desirable than my '78. Hagerty recently valued mine at $18k. Now, that's insured value. I don't ever plan to sell mine, so its actual value doesn't really matter much to me. It's not apples to apples, but there's a data point for you.

Around 8k, below or above...is a good starting point. Sadly, it's not worth much in this condition, you still have to look at frame. When see rust, chances are rust is in a lot of other places you cannot see. Basically what you are selling is the drive train and some donor parts. But once it's repaired it could be worth in the high 30's and beyond....depending on the customer and how well it was put together. I know it's what not what you to want hear. Buy a tub and you will be so far ahead than if sold as is.

Last edited:
Around 8k, below or above...is a good starting point. Sadly, it's not worth much in this condition, you still have to look at frame. When see rust, chances are rust is in a lot of other places you cannot see. Basically what you are selling is the drive train and some donor parts. But once it's repaired it could be worth in the high 30's and beyond....depending on the customer and how well it was put together. I know it's what not what you to want hear. Buy a tub and you will be so far ahead than if sold as is.

Frame is completely solid.

This is a very interesting 40. It's amazingly beautiful yet super scary at the same time. It has the potential for greatness, it just needs the time and money invested. I'd personally be more inclined to remove the body, put it on a rotisserie, and save it than I would be in selling it for a LJ73. It's value is low in it's current condition but fix it and whew that thing will be a stunner. Great foundation. Save it man, save it!

looks like a great candidate for a Topnault 3/4 tub

That engine bay is the prettiest thing I've seen lately. Interior looks like a 5 year old truck. I'm in Chattanooga and this is super tempting. I can't do anything though until I see what the 2024 Land Cruiser is going to be. I hope this goes well for you and you make bank.

Hit it with a couple of gallons of Fluid Film and drive it for the next 15 years.

That engine bay is the prettiest thing I've seen lately. Interior looks like a 5 year old truck. I'm in Chattanooga and this is super tempting. I can't do anything though until I see what the 2024 Land Cruiser is going to be. I hope this goes well for you and you make bank.

I grew up in Chattanooga. Lived on Signal Mountain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom