My Videos: Changing the oil in the front/rear diffs and transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did my diffs and transfer yesterday. Had a little trouble getting the front diff drain plug out but got it. Replace that with the IS plug. Here is the method of filling the front diff I came up with. The concept worked just fine after I clamped the tubing to the bottle with zip ties. Also the 1/4" tubing I had and used was too small and took a very long time to gravity drain. You have to punch a hole in the bottle to vent it so it will drain. To get the last little bit in after 2 full qts, I just cut a large hole in the bottom if the bottle I had just drained and used the bottle as a funnel.

View attachment 2605875
This is the way. :)

I've done similar by using a ladder as a "IV pole". Actually, an IV pole would be awesome. lol

Looks fairly straight forward wondering on doing without leveling vehicle on jack stands? Do you need to remove spare under vehicle to access rear diff? Thanks!

Looks fairly straight forward wondering on doing without leveling vehicle on jack stands? Do you need to remove spare under vehicle to access rear diff? Thanks!
The rear is very easy to access and easy to fill.

For the diffs to be filled to the correct level yes the vehicle needs to be level. The whole idea is you fill with fluid until it starts running out of the fill hole. When the vehicle is level, that puts the fluid at the right level in the diff to protect all of the bearings while not being so full that it leads to leaks at the axle seals.

Spare removal depends on your refill method. If you squeeze directly out of the bottle via the provided spout, it’ll probably need to come out. Use some form of pump or transfer syringe, it can probably stay.

For the diffs to be filled to the correct level yes the vehicle needs to be level. The whole idea is you fill with fluid until it starts running out of the fill hole. When the vehicle is level, that puts the fluid at the right level in the diff to protect all of the bearings while not being so full that it leads to leaks at the axle seals.

Spare removal depends on your refill method. If you squeeze directly out of the bottle via the provided spout, it’ll probably need to come out. Use some form of pump or transfer syringe, it can probably stay.
I understand the purpose of the vehicle being level I was just wondering if a stock vehicle needs to be on 4 jack stands or if there is enough room underneath to work? Thanks

I understand the purpose of the vehicle being level I was just wondering if a stock vehicle needs to be on 4 jack stands or if there is enough room underneath to work? Thanks
Depends on how large you are and how flexible. ;) To get the right angles for pulling on wrenches and getting at the fill holes, it’s way easier to get the vehicle up on jack stands or ramps and remove the spare and front under-covers.

I agree with sandroad. Generally I pull my truck up onto four ramps for this type of work.

I like that idea. What ramps are you using (weight rating)? Are you using jack stands too? Thanks!
I have one pair of the standard model Rhino Ramps, and an older pair of composite ones that I don't know the brand. The Rhinos are 12k gvwr, which I assume means 6k on the axle or 3k each. With my whole rig weighing around 6k, plenty of margin for me. They seem to handle the weight with no evidence of strain.

I don't use supplemental support, but some people do on ramps. and really, I can easily fit under my truck with the wheels on the ground, this just gives a lot more room to move around and work, stand up fluid bottles, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom