My Videos: Changing the oil in the front/rear diffs and transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MScruiser

obsessive-compulsive oppositional-defiant wise-ass
Threads
So I hit 90,000 miles last week, and it was time to service my front and rear differentials, and my transfer case. I searched YouTube, but there were no instructional videos exclusive to the 200 series.

So....I decided to make my own. Hopefully you guys will find them helpful.

Keep in mind, I am not a professional, I am using substandard tools, in a pea-gravel coated driveway, in the freezing cold, all during my 8 month old daughter's naps. So, don't be too hard on me. :redface:

Very nice work...I can remember those days in the garage with little guy in play-pen...right after that he started walking and handing me tools...sometimes hiding the tools. :doh: :bang:

I've got the oil and crush washers and I've got the diff's and TC on the list tomorrow. I've used the push-pump for a long time...major PITA as it's a big one to fit a gallon jug, and you only get about 2-3 oz. each pump.

I found this...1740 POWER FILL PRO 1.5 gallon after some google and got it within a week. Customer service was great, along the lines of Brownells. I'll report back how it does.

Steve

Great vids! That powerfil seems like the ticket!

Very nice work...I can remember those days in the garage with little guy in play-pen...right after that he started walking and handing me tools...sometimes hiding the tools. :doh: :bang:

I've got the oil and crush washers and I've got the diff's and TC on the list tomorrow. I've used the push-pump for a long time...major PITA as it's a big one to fit a gallon jug, and you only get about 2-3 oz. each pump.

I found this...1740 POWER FILL PRO 1.5 gallon after some google and got it within a week. Customer service was great, along the lines of Brownells. I'll report back how it does.

Steve

That looks handy. I had to use one of those half-assed hand pumps to get gear oil into my E28's diff. It took a solid 30mins of pumping to get the job done (hehe).

Great Job on these. Was about to tackle this and getting OEM instructions- but Videos are always best. I did notice a slight difference in capacity you mentioned as compared to the Service Manual- but the bottom line is that it has to be full or (0-5mm) below fill plug. I have a few more thousand to go so will do it after Moab\Ouray with the oil change since the front drops the plates.

What are the service intervals here for the F,R and transfer case? Do you wait until 90K miles to service? Didn't notice the recommendations in the manual (although it's probably there). Nice work on the videos

50k miles for all three of those components with good Toyota or synthetic oil
30k miles if you tow/off-road (heavy load on drivetrain)

If you have a new truck, with over 500 miles, I highly recommend changing the front and rear differentials. The LC/LX might look fancy, but the ring and pinion design hasn't changed in a 100 years and the amount of heat and metal that comes off a new gear set can wreck the oil in there, making the oil not be able to protect the gear set as good as it should.

Last edited:
Great videos!

I needed these videos - very timely! I use the manuals but to see everything in "real life" is very helpful. Thank you!

Wow. When I can use my leg again, I might actually try this, thanks to your fantastic videos. VERY nicely done.

Are you guys using the mobil 1 synthetic 75w90 GL-5 or similar like amsoil? None of us are cheapskates here but the OEM 75w85 gear oil is about 3x the price. 75w85 is hard to find.

Are you guys using the mobil 1 synthetic 75w90 GL-5 or similar like amsoil? None of us are cheapskates here but the OEM 75w85 gear oil is about 3x the price. 75w85 is hard to find.
Mobil 1, Valvoline synthetic, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc. all work well. Go with 75W90.

Steve

Thanks again @MScruiser for these helpful videos.
Changed the rear differential with 4 quarts to capacity of Mobil 1 75W-90.
After 4 years and 35,000 miles, the oil looked exactly like it did in the first video. The magnetic drain plug works quite well and also collected a fair amount of fine metal particles.
Now to take care of the transfer case and front differential.
Thinking of taking care of additional maintenance ahead of time and doing a drain and fill on the power steering fluid, coolant and transmission fluid as well.

Last edited:
You are quite welcome!

(That vid has been getting lots of hits on YouTube)

Great video and I'll be doing this soon too.

Anyone have a run down on the various capacities of the diffs/tranxfer case?

This thread is awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom