Builds My R2.8 Cummins FJ40 (RJ40) daily driver build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

more pics

20200711_181313.jpg

20200711_235133.jpg

20200711_235148.jpg

20200713_184456.jpg

20200713_233110.jpg

Engine Start
Motning Arthur ... great news on the vibration, we found out later that the top of the tranny mounting bolt on the pass side was touching the cab floor ... oops

Ok, so you'll need to run the oil pressure, engine water temp and Tach .... then if you are using the Dakota Digital HDX you'll need to program the Tach to 16 cylinders lol ... this will get you close to actual

Cheers
Steve

Well that's a lot better than having to deal with new transmission mounts!

Oh ok. I thought my tach seemed pretty close to what was showing on the Murphy gauge, but I didn't look that much into it. I ran the sensors that came with the DD gauge. I wasn't sure if the water temp one was working, but then again I didn't run the engine long. Did you have to run a different oil pressure sensor?

Im having a hell of a time with my r2.8 and nv4500. Im getting a grinding noise when my clutch pedal is UP (clutch disc engaged). Its in every gear and neutral , under load or on the lift. Ive had two separate mechanics look at the trans and take it apart and put it back together. Ive removed it twice. The last mechanic said ive probably sized my clutch wrong (1997 jeep 4.0 duralast). What clutch is everyone running?

I decided to make my cross member removable, cause taking the trans out with it in SUCKS

20201108_111418.jpg

20201108_111429.jpg

I know absolutely nothing about your set up, and I may be wrong... but that sounds like a pressure plate, clutch fork, or throwout bearing problem to me... like the pressure plate rubbing the clutch fork?

No noise with the clutch depressed/disengaged?

I know absolutely nothing about your set up, and I may be wrong... but that sounds like a pressure plate, clutch fork, or throwout bearing problem to me... like the pressure plate rubbing the clutch fork?

No noise with the clutch depressed/disengaged?

No noise with the clutch depressed (disengaged/pedal down). All the noise comes when the pedal is up. I'm running the same throwout bearing and fork as around 150 of Quickdraws customers. He's never heard of anyone talking about noise. I really suspect my clutch disc. Apparently the dampners are different for a diesel vs a gas engine.

20200605_175659.jpg

@ArthurFJ I understand the NV4500 is a pretty loud transmission. Just an out there question, you're sure something is not working right vs it's just kind of noisy? The tunnel on our 40s is just sheet metal, no carpet, etc, like in a Dodge pickup.

No noise with the clutch depressed (disengaged/pedal down). All the noise comes when the pedal is up. I'm running the same throwout bearing and fork as around 150 of Quickdraws customers. He's never heard of anyone talking about noise. I really suspect my clutch disc. Apparently the dampners are different for a diesel vs a gas engine.
If you're using the same bellhousing as anybody then you should be using the longer Dodge gas input shaft. My transmission started with the Chevy shaft, and Chad at Quickdraw said it should be fine over the phone, but when I measured it before assembling it definitely wouldn't have been fine. Barely would have reached the clutch splines (like your picture kind of shows happening) and wouldn't have reached the pilot bushing at all.
I installed the Dodge gas shaft (that business was all back in January or December) and have driven it about 50 miles this month and have had zero transmission or clutch noises.

@ArthurFJ I understand the NV4500 is a pretty loud transmission. Just an out there question, you're sure something is not working right vs it's just kind of noisy? The tunnel on our 40s is just sheet metal, no carpet, etc, like in a Dodge pickup.

Yeah I think so. It's nice and quiet when the clutch is down. Then when I let it up (engage the clutch) the grinding starts. The mechanics listened to it and they think it's too loud.

If you're using the same bellhousing as anybody then you should be using the longer Dodge gas input shaft. My transmission started with the Chevy shaft, and Chad at Quickdraw said it should be fine over the phone, but when I measured it before assembling it definitely wouldn't have been fine. Barely would have reached the clutch splines (like your picture kind of shows happening) and wouldn't have reached the pilot bushing at all.
I installed the Dodge gas shaft (that business was all back in January or December) and have driven it about 50 miles this month and have had zero transmission or clutch noises.

I'm using Chad's short bellhousing option. It required a different throwout bearing and a clutch fork that chad fabricates in his shop, but Chad says I'm not the only person running it.

What clutch disc are you running? The LuK option for the 1997 Wrangler?

Yeah I think so. It's nice and quiet when the clutch is down. Then when I let it up (engage the clutch) the grinding starts. The mechanics listened to it and they think it's too loud.
OK, because when the clutch is depressed, the transmission is no longer turning, right. That makes me think about the trans vs the clutch.

Is it driveable? Have you tried coasting with the clutch depressed? This would make the trans spin while having the clutch disengaged, if it's still noisy you would have a trans problem.

Is your trans new/rebuilt?

I'm using Chad's short bellhousing option. It required a different throwout bearing and a clutch fork that chad fabricates in his shop, but Chad says I'm not the only person running it.

What clutch disc are you running? The LuK option for the 1997 Wrangler?
This clutch

This bellhousing, I didn't know he had a shorter one.

Edit: Is that grease on the end of your input shaft or is it butchered up?

This clutch

This bellhousing, I didn't know he had a shorter one.

Edit: Is that grease on the end of your input shaft or is it butchered up?

Thanks!

It's grease. Also that's putty on on fork. I wanted to install it and make sure it wouldn't come in contact with the spinning pressure plate when pushed all the way in haha. Didn't want it exploding and taking my foot off.

Have you checked the runout on your pressure plate fingers?
I was having an issue with mine and the first pressure plate had 0.025" runout and the replacement had 0.015", I got a third plate and it was under 0.002" and all my issues went away.
Good luck great looking 40!

OK, because when the clutch is depressed, the transmission is no longer turning, right. That makes me think about the trans vs the clutch.

Is it driveable? Have you tried coasting with the clutch depressed? This would make the trans spin while having the clutch disengaged, if it's still noisy you would have a trans problem.

Is your trans new/rebuilt?

It's a rebuilt trans. When I was driving whenever I pressed the clutch in the noise went away. So it's not the trans. Also, I had two separate mechanics check it out and pull it apart and they said it looks perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom