Builds My R2.8 Cummins FJ40 (RJ40) daily driver build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

"Ran into an issue when I realized I had a internal slave cylinder version of the NV4500. So I had to buy a new bearing retainer with a nose that the throwout bearing could ride on"

So you have a 96+ GM NV4500. What bearing retainer are you now using? What input shaft are you now using?

Sorry, I don't actually know. I just went to a mechanic that knows NV4500s and he just grabbed one and put my bearing race in it.

Mine is very close too. I was not going to lift it but I may have to.

Yeah. I'm going to cut away what I can out of the aluminum pan and TIG weld it. But I may also had a spacer to the bump stop. I'll be doing a bunch of measuring and calculation to make sure it never hits.

I added these extensions to mine. Note sure it will be enough though.
6DD24992-BDCE-4D2E-85EE-F9892D8CAEEE.jpg

Sorry about the quality of these pics.. The one with the ruler is showing roughly 5" the end of the ruler is 8"

20200510_204531.jpg

20200510_204636.jpg

20200510_205218.jpg

20200510_205231.jpg

20200510_205404.jpg

Sorry, I don't actually know. I just went to a mechanic that knows NV4500s and he just grabbed one and put my bearing race in it.

Did this mechanic install a standard Dodge input shaft into what looks like a GM NV4500?

Does anyone know the thread size on the brake lines for the front axle?

I need to know for the female end of the rubber brake line hose that attaches from the dust cover on the rotor to the axle itself.

[QUOTE="

We never changed out the input shaft
[/QUOTE]

Then if you are using the original Quickdraw R2.8/NV4500 bellhousing kit, you are going to have a problem--your input shaft will be 1" too short. Notice how little clutch splines are showing past the new Dodge bearing retainer snout. Also, the GM pilot tip has a .59" diameter--the standard Dodge (fits the pilot bearing in the kit) has a .75" diameter. GM input shafts are 6.5" long--Dodge input shafts are 7.5" long. The original Quickdraw bellhousing is designed to use a standard (not diesel/heavy duty) Dodge NV4500.

[QUOTE="

We never changed out the input shaft

Then if you are using the original Quickdraw R2.8/NV4500 bellhousing kit, you are going to have a problem--your input shaft will be 1" too short. Notice how little clutch splines are showing past the new Dodge bearing retainer snout. Also, the GM pilot tip has a .59" diameter--the standard Dodge (fits the pilot bearing in the kit) has a .75" diameter. GM input shafts are 6.5" long--Dodge input shafts are 7.5" long. The original Quickdraw bellhousing is designed to use a standard (not diesel/heavy duty) Dodge NV4500.
[/QUOTE]
s***... I told Chad (quick draw) what I was using. Also maybe I'm just getting a little connection with the clutch because I can't spin the transmission when it's in gear. Also I could've sworn the input shaft is getting to the pilot bearing in the flywheel.

I know that Chad was working on the shorter, GM version, but I don't think it ever went into production. Ask him for a picture of the depth measurement of the original bellhousing and compare yours. I went through all this with my project. There are so many variations of the NV4500 that you can't keep them straight. There is a third, heavy duty GM version that you can't even find in the books that makes it even more fun--I know because I put one behind a 4-53t.

Also, if your oil pan issues are only with the drive shaft (and not the yoke/flange or differential housing), consider using a high-strength, small diameter drive shaft.

Last edited:
Bellhousing measurements. Are people using the same size bellhousing from quickdraw?

20200511_184525.jpg

20200511_184441.jpg

Just wanted to post a couple pictures of the new dip stick in the aluminum oil pan. It fits in both sides

20200512_212300.jpg

20200512_212307.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom