Builds My New Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fillerneck Supply sent me another filler neck which got installed. The cap reads that's it's vacuum vented but apparently that's not enough vent for my set up. I notice a big "bang" on the way into town when the tank contracted. I ended up loosening the gas cap for the trip home.

So today I installed a rollover valve with a remote vent. I ended up running 10 feet of hose up into the rear pillar so fuel can expand a bit and hopefully not run out the vent tube. I then mounted the vent within the gas cap compartment. Fuel sloshing and should be limited (and hopefully totally eliminated) by the new gas cap.

I know I'll have gas odor due to the open vent to atmosphere. I had that before with the stock cap but my main gripe was fuel sloshing out the cap and running down the quarter panel.

I thought about installing a charcoal canister but I'm not sure about the plumbing. I'd have to figure out a fuel vapor separator so gas liquid doesn't end up in the charcoal canister causing contamination. To do this the stock later model tanks have 4 lines off the tank, which my older tank doesn't have. I'm sure there's a way but I'll start with this set up.

12DB68C3-2393-4BB2-B56B-3D8EC773A29A.jpeg

603FEE8B-3080-4D9C-8846-0E263B579973.jpeg

*Apologies here as I forgot what your setup is, and was too lazy to dig back*. When I put a 3FE in my ‘76 I had the same problem, the EFI and high pressure return cycles way more fuel than the stock mechanical setup. That plus an old or non-existent charcoal setup, you get lots of pressure and it pushes fuel out wherever it can. I was able to solve with a stock “vented” cap off an earlier Cruiser. Another member retrofitted a 60 canister that solved it.

Good luck!

tucker

I ordered some springy things off Amazon for
$119 each. Free delivery with Prime. They’re fronts from an Fj60 so I’m thinking of swapping the top spring from my current 55 pack and see what happens. My current springs are flat and the ride leaves a bit to be desired.

I haven’t investigated but curious if I could find bushing for the 60 spring with pin sizes to fit the 55. Hmmmm

Hopefully the lost 4th spring shows up in the next day or two 😊

312E00A6-45A9-4B82-98A1-930B64DD15C7.jpeg

All four springs are for the front? You might need some more leaves in the back, a lot of fuel weight.

I haven’t investigated but curious if I could find bushing for the 60 spring with pin sizes to fit the 55. Hmmmm

im pretty sure OME do a bush to suit. no idea on part numbers though

They OME may be too big on the outer diameter for the stock springs. When I did stock bushings I ordered
From SOR. They are an odd mix like a early 45. Big pin. Small bushing OD on the frame.

Swapped out front springs today by taking the leafs from a FJ60 2-in lift front and mating leafs to the FJ55 top spring.

I didn't get out for a test drive. Just dropping down off jacks it shows my height about 1 inch higher than before I started. On the rears I'm thinking about keeping the entire Old Man EMU spring by cutting off the eyes on the ends and removing the portions that have a curve.

For the fronts I swapped in all the leafs from the new EMU spring except the top spring to retain the stock bushings.

Ill keep you posted once I do some driving.

A2605830-B6CE-4F18-900B-9E2EC0696CF1.jpeg

D7911174-B8CC-4A3A-B80A-1AB13D2E7B3F.jpeg

D0E35217-FEF3-42FE-8EF3-DF71376090F1.jpeg

Cut and weld the leaf spring?
No cutting or welding on the fronts. The fronts are roughly the same length as the stock 55 so it's just a matter of swapping leafs.

For the rears, I'm thinking of cutting the eyes (see included pictures) off the F60 spring because they're shorter than the 55 so a little modification is required. With the FJ60 spring mated to the 55 top spring there is no relocation of any frame brackets. I'll post pictures of what I actually do tomorro.

778B18EE-EB47-4A94-8D02-7452C098314E.jpeg

A5570F77-B212-4AA6-9849-E02BF3491712.jpeg

That’s way more work than moving the fixed perch though …. I guess I don’t get it
For me it was cost. I'm in for < $500. Effort on the front to swap leaves added about 20 minutes. Not sure I can relocate the fixed perch in that time. 😊And I don't have to lay on my back with weld splatter.😊.

Finished up my spring work. On the rear, I cut the eyes off the entire 60 set and merged them with the two stock 55 top springs. I have a great ride now in comparison to where I started.

I decided to cut the eyes off the 60 long spring and add it to the front axle. Originall, I wanted to see how it would ride and sit before. I like the bit firmer ride and it's stance is a bit better given how I merged the rear springs.

First picture is the front spring with the added leaf where I cut off the 60 eyes. Last two pictures are the rear with two top leaves from stock.

80B36F75-757B-46EF-A09E-E80337EC4E61.jpeg

132B7CBB-870F-4AD5-AF91-8CAC85970E48.jpeg

B7680F87-6632-405D-A612-3F6E335D9EB2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom