My new project!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally bought a 40 series. Heres what it looks like, gonna re-do the whole car (fresh paint), and stick an 80 series 4.2 td engine and box in it. Its originally from indonesia, been here in the uk for about a year now.
let me know what u think of her.....
Picture017.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Looks like a nice find, congratulations! I'm not sure what you think about them, buy I'd lose the quarter panel plates when doing the repaint.

Looks like a nice find, congratulations! I'm not sure what you think about them, buy I'd lose the quarter panel plates when doing the repaint.

the plan is to strip the paint down to the bare metal, im sure those plates are there to hide the rust and nothing else.;)

Where's the rust?

That looks to be an amazingly clean 40...Good find!

doors have rust along the bottom. its hidden by the filler, but all in all its in good condition. planning on getting the panels acid dipped. Got it at a bargain price aswell. they are very rare here in the uk. will keep the pics flowing as we progress. just need to locate an engine anx box, then the brakes.

update

update on shorty, we managed to find a HJ80 as a donor vehicle for shorty. Drove a total of 800miles to pick it up. The 80 has the 1HD-T 4.2 engine manual with the toyota locker diffs. The plan is to shorten the 80's chassis and mount the shorty shell on it. here are a couple of pics.
DSC01322.jpg

DSC01321.jpg

piti5.jpg

The body of the 80 is pretty much off, waiting to collect a fork lift truck to assist with the liftng. Will keep u guys posted as we progress.......:bounce: :bounce2:

Awsome find, keep the pics of the build coming please.

40 on an 80's frame? That sounds fun! I've seen folks drop a 55 and a 60 on an 80, but never a 40.

Looking forward to the progress and the fact that you are tackling this in the UK without a garage :)

The one time I was in the UK it rained nearly everyday...Didn't mind though, kept the other tourists away :)

I spend a lot of time in Indonesia and I was amazed at the quantity and quality of the landcruisers and old willys (MB's 2a's, etc) there. (Say what you want about jeeps, willys are ok in my book) There were so many nice ones that I had to ask if there was a place(s) remanufacturing/rebuilding them. I saw a couple that looked right out of the showroom. They dont call them Landcruisers (Fj40's) there, they are 'Hardtops' even if they are soft tops.

Got the body of the 80 off yesterday, will post pics tomorrow:censor:

Nice find on the 40....I'm anxiously awaiting watching your build...

:cheers:

Cool project... can I ask what was wrong with the 80 series to warrant cutting it up? Here in oz 40's are cheap but 80's are still relatively expensive even if they're not running.

The 40 is very rare here in the UK. They were not launched here for the local market, only rare imports crop up once in a blue moon. The 80 was found on ebay listed as stolen/recovered, and was picked up for reasonable money. I got quote from local breaker for the engine and transmission and was quoted £2500, and the cruiser was bought complete for that much.
We drove it back 400miles from where we bought it with no problems what so ever. This paticular 80 is a UK spec land cruiser, 5sp manual with the front and rear factory lockers.
NB..i have a complete 80 shell if any1 is interested, all proceeds will go into the 40 project...:D
as promised here are a couple of pics as of yesterday evenning.
DSC01342.jpg

DSC01343.jpg

DSC01352.jpg

DSC01357.jpg

DSC01351.jpg

Quick update.. Got the 40 tub off the chassis, and placed it on the 80 chassis. Trimmed the front fenders to fit, but might have a problem mounting the radiator. We will just have to wait n see how to get around it. The 1 option is to move the engine n gearbox back a couple of inches..... will post pics later on tonight.

pics as promised on the progress so far. Not had time to work on it on the weekday, hopefully should get more done on the weekend. Suggestions always welcome........
SP_A0081.jpg

SP_A0085.jpg

SP_A0086.jpg

SP_A0083.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom