My new project!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you going to stretch the rear of the tub to match the 112" wheel base ?

Also- I saw in another thread the same body swap and they moved the grill forward 4" or so to accomodate the radiator.

More pics of how it lines up please !!

Are you going to stretch the rear of the tub to match the 112" wheel base ?

Also- I saw in another thread the same body swap and they moved the grill forward 4" or so to accomodate the radiator.

More pics of how it lines up please !!

we gonna shorten the chassis to suit. we thought of moving the grill forward, but not yet decided what to route to take. will post closer pics this weekend.
Skim do u have the link to the thread????

A littleoff topic but we have the same model Crown, "Walkie Stacker" forklift in our shops warehouse located in Hawaii! small world. cool project.

What kind of red tape if any will you have to go through to make your 40 project raod legal in the UK? In the county of Honolulu, Hawaii we have vehicle reconstruction requirements for such a build. this can get a bit protracted. What is it like there?

A littleoff topic but we have the same model Crown, "Walkie Stacker" forklift in our shops warehouse located in Hawaii! small world. cool project.

What kind of red tape if any will you have to go through to make your 40 project raod legal in the UK? In the county of Honolulu, Hawaii we have vehicle reconstruction requirements for such a build. this can get a bit protracted. What is it like there?

Yeah the forklift is a god send, without it we would have been days behind. My mate and i have also invested in a plasma cutter, saved us alot of time with cutting.
The car will have to go through an MOT, yearly inspection, and as long as it passes that i dont see any problems getting it on the road. We will have to get the chassis numbers switched on the log book which is a minor issue.
Got some cutting and welding done on the weekend, placed the body on the chassis and all i can say soo far is that all the work has been worth it. See what you guys think of it so far.....

DSC01369.jpg

DSC01374.jpg

Did I miss the frame shortening pictures?

hehe!! we got abit ahead of our selves and forgot to take pics of the chassis without the body. The body still has to come off so i will post pics of it.
Found some pics of my mates cruiser back in kenya. This is partly to blame for the build inspiration.
kenya275.jpg

kenya274.jpg

wooohooooo!!! its friday which means two days to work on the car.............

Been a while since i updated on the build. The chassis has been cut and welded, the engine and gar box has been moved 3 inches back in order for us to get the radiator in the engine bay.

The prop is going to be shortened but the angle to the rear diff seems to be pretty steep. The question is whats the best solution, should i rotate the rear diff to acommodate the angle or add in another universal joint at one end? Have seen this type of prop on another build but cant for the life of me find it.

your rig rocks...dam that's cool....

...The prop is going to be shortened but the angle to the rear diff seems to be pretty steep. The question is whats the best solution, should i rotate the rear diff to acommodate the angle or add in another universal joint at one end? Have seen this type of prop on another build but cant for the life of me find it...

I've dealt with steep angles and close quarters by just aiming the pinion right at the transfer case flange. Then install a Cardan Joint drive shaft in order to avoid driveline phase problems, thus serious vibrations and undue stress:
attachment.php

I mounted the Cardan Joint end up at the TC. Do you have Hi-Lux
series P/U trucks in your locale? The front prop would do right
once cut and dynamically balanced...

Best Regards,
George
Cardan Joint.jpg

Work has progressed amazingly enough. The body tub is finally mounted to the chassis. We put the front panles on to see if everything lines up. Next step is the body work and the dreaded wiring. Any1 know where i can get a wiring diagram for the 80 series from? what do you guys think?????
15072007006.jpg

Work has progressed amazingly enough. The body tub is finally mounted to the chassis. We put the front panles on to see if everything lines up. Next step is the body work and the dreaded wiring. Any1 know where i can get a wiring diagram for the 80 series from? what do you guys think?????

Looking good!

Whatever was the resolution on the HG issue? Hope it was resolved in your favor.

This is going to be one heck of a cruiser. I am sure it will be a joy to ride.
When I heard that Toyota was reinventing the fj cruiser back in 2003, this is what I was thinking it was going to be like.
Are you going to use any fender flares or anything , because of the wider axles?
If it ok can you show some pics of how the tub and fenders are attatched to the frame.

This is an amazing built! just wondering??? where's the cut on the frame?
i dont want to miss anything on this thread. heres a :beer:for u :cheers:

This is an amazing built! just wondering??? where's the cut on the frame?
i dont want to miss anything on this thread. heres a :beer:for u :cheers:
The chassis was cut in the middlish. The ub is coming off again in the next few days, will post pics.

This is going to be one heck of a cruiser. I am sure it will be a joy to ride.
When I heard that Toyota was reinventing the fj cruiser back in 2003, this is what I was thinking it was going to be like.
Are you going to use any fender flares or anything , because of the wider axles?
If it ok can you show some pics of how the tub and fenders are attatched to the frame.
I will take some pics when the tub is off.
Looking good!

Whatever was the resolution on the HG issue? Hope it was resolved in your favor.
HG? We installed the full running gear from the 80 series.
Awsome !

Where in the UK are you, I've got an FJ40 'liberated' from California, would be interested in comparing notes :)
Im in the midlands. We have an event in sussex on the 16th of september. Hopefully it will be ready for then (fingers crossed). The event is for charity to raise money for the Aberdare fence in Kenya. See www.rhinoark.org. Its called the UK Rhino Charge. It would be great to see you there. Its a fun event for a good cause. Hows your 40 running? Never seen another in the UK. Post some pics.......

I know all about the Rhino Charge, run by John Bowden of Gumtrees Landrover, infact the sign company I own manufactured the trophies a couple of years ago ! .... might well see you there.

My FJ is the one in my avatar

I know all about the Rhino Charge, run by John Bowden of Gumtrees Landrover, infact the sign company I own manufactured the trophies a couple of years ago ! .... might well see you there.

My FJ is the one in my avatar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom