Builds My Mexican 1965 FJ40V Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great thread, I too missed this thread until now. Thanks for sharing the story and photos of your 1965 FJ40. I also have a white 1965 that is mostly stock on the exterior if you have any questions or need pics of something let me know, Good luck!

Great thread, I too missed this thread until now. Thanks for sharing the story and photos of your 1965 FJ40. I also have a white 1965 that is mostly stock on the exterior if you have any questions or need pics of something let me know, Good luck!

I promise I'll update soon, probably this weekend.

I think the turn signals, mirror arms and running boards were all body colored. Running boards (short?) would have a white pyramid vinyl insert, available from a guy in NY or a Mudder with some extra after the 1 yard minimum.
I think bumperettes were "pewter" by 1965.
Enjoying the story and the save. Keep up the good work.

Morning!

Couple of questions:

How do I know if the running boards are short or long? If they're long, what colour are they?
As to the white colour in case they are short ones: Can't I just paint pyramid sheet metal white? Is this white white or is this bezel/roof white colour?

Bumperettes are the same colour as seat frames and interior accesories?

Were you able to measure/check the wheel on the bifold?

Cheers!

J

Thank you!

I'll take you up on the offer:

If you could share a few pics of your running boards and gas tank, it would really help. IS the gas tank painted different than the body? The straps?

¡Best and thank you!

J

Some pics. Daner can get the gas tank.

Short running boards are ~23" long, reaching around mid-door.
20201008_170616.jpg

Long running boards are ~33" long, just 6" shy off full door length. Sometime after this 1968 they dropped the vinyl insert. Some have fabricated short running boards from this early long style.
20201008_170755.jpg

Here is the vinyl material. You can see original bits of it peaking out of the edge of the red running board.
20201008_175304.jpg

The answer to your paint color questions depends on the year. My Jan. 64 built ('65 registered) truck has a body colored gas tank and straps. [Edit, since the truck was repainted the same color, I don't know if the tank might of been pewter]. They switched to black gas tanks sometime later.
I can't answer your bumperette paint question. Mine didn't have any.

PM'ing some bi-fold pics of the little wheel.

Last edited:
So, @HelloKitty65,

Here's my running boards. According to Original Owner's son the running boards were body colour on the outside frame and black inside. According to him they are still original, including the floor, which sounds odd given the difference in the screws.
Lo and behold, 33"!
IMG_9633.jpg

IMG_9635.jpg
IMG_9634.jpg
IMG_9637.jpg
IMG_9638.jpg

So, paint...

After endless hours considering different paint colours I ended up deciding that I wasn't going to keep the original colour as it had already been painted over and the process would have to be the same, so I ended up choosing the boring and common Volcanic Beige.

Money is tight so I approached Sherwin Williams and Dupont and straight up asked them for a sponsorship and SW was the only to actually reply and with a YES.

They've been great and provided so much product as well as expertise.

So the first thing they provided was the chasis black with respective solvents as well as the pewter for the winch and bumperrettes.
Then they provided the filler and primer.

So now came the real pickle, how to procure the formula for the color code. I managed to land this, and whoever wants the PDF please just give me your email and I'll gladly email it your way. It's 7 pages dedicated just for Toyota.

Captura de pantalla 2020-10-12 a la(s) 7.35.42 p.m..png
Captura de pantalla 2020-10-12 a la(s) 7.37.10 p.m..png
Captura de pantalla 2020-10-12 a la(s) 7.41.37 p.m..png

Sherwin Williams gave me access to their historical database, their paint lab and a technician, Carlos, great guy, very talented.
We started tests with the formulas that were available on their database: Lilly White, Volcanic Beige and Sandune White which didn't look right to me to be honest but the paint manual was consistent with our result. Then we played with Spring Green to try and bring it towards Sulphur Yellow and failed miserably but had fun in the way.

Finally, I decided on Shertruck series paint, a very resistant paint.

If anyone wants the formulas, they are posted here on this thread I created some time ago:

IMG_2265.JPG
IMG_2288.JPG
IMG_2300.JPG
IMG_2305.JPG

Last edited:
Painting began but rain season started, there's been a lot of rain and humidity and the shop isn't 100% indoors so patience has been of the escence.

In the meantime I realized that since I live in Mexico, I would never be able to leave belongings inside. So I created a rear compartment that will be able to lock and can be hidden with a rear mat. I just have to decide on the latch, it will probably be of marine grade. Hinged will obviously be stainless and marine grade too and will be inside.

Compartment will have drain plugs in case it floods from a spill or whatever. It has a good size so valuables of all sorts will be able to be stashed away in a relatively safer way.

PLEASE heed no attention to the exhaust, that will be corrected and properly replaced.

IMG_9611.jpg
IMG_9642.jpg

Last edited:
It has been relatively dry these days so the first coating has been applied on the outside, still need the inside.

Here's the fenders and hood presented on the tub as well as side panels. Excited it's taking some shape!
IMG_9662.jpg

IMG_9625.jpg

I forgot to mention, I bought this cushioning tape to go under the hump cover, looks and feels great!
IMG_9641.jpg

Also, just found a great guy who will be able to help with the seat covers, I'll let you guys know as soon as I take delivery of seats.

Last edited:
The top has just been sanded, evened out and will be primed and painted this week, provided it doesn't rain much.

IMG_9630.jpg

By the way @65swb45 you were absolutely right, the spark plugs were originally pushed outside because they were too long and the stock short spark plugs were mostly unavailable at the time in Mexico. Spoke to the original owner's son and he confirmed this to be the case.

So, @HelloKitty65,

Here's my running boards. According to Original Owner's son the running boards were body colour on the outside frame and black inside. According to him they are still original, including the floor, which sounds odd given the difference in the screws.
Lo and behold, 33"!
View attachment 2463884
View attachment 2463886View attachment 2463885View attachment 2463889View attachment 2463887
So I'm realizing '65 must of been the year long running boards started, maybe a transition year even. That insert looks pretty cool and worth preserving in it's own right. The pyramid vinyl looks like the shoes of a Baptist minister.

Book mark attempt to give you a source for the replacement matting for the running boards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom