Builds Chef's FJ45LWB-PU (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yeah.. proper tools and the know how to use em! And he enjoys when i pass on something that presents a challenge.

Hey Nolan; and/or others....

How are you insuring something like this?
I have no idea what completed valuation should be? $40,000? I haven't looked for a long time.
And who did you use?

I have a stated value policy with State Farm on my 45. I know others have struggled to get this type of coverage with State Farm but it seems to be an agent problem rather than corporate. I have had two stated value policies in force for years with no restrictions on use.

It's all in the details. New mount for the clutch slave hose. Adjusted the 4wd lever. Doors in primer. Picking up some cool unobtanium tomorrow morning. This weekend will be brake plumbing, some electrical pinout and a new oil pan.

njrSIDUA-215172089.jpeg

VTrt2FeA-215287420.jpeg

20201008_212800.jpg

Preview of unobtanium. Not going thru the box till next week. Need to stay focused.

20201009_100119.jpg

Long weekend is an understatement.. I had Chef's VW Station wagon last week getting it hot rodded .. It was really fun after the tune and exhaust but alas I only had it for the drive back to Columbia at that point. Got a call Thurs afternoon that my plating was done. A few weeks ahead of schedule. Ran out Friday morning to get the Cad Plated parts. Dropped them back off at the house, grabbed the dog, a go bag, Chef's VW and headed out. First stop, lets see if we can get this 45 out of the body shop! It has not seen the light of day in one piece EVER.. Needed to get the chassis to @theSherpa so we can do a wrenching weekend with the team. Clock is ticking, i was getting text updates on ETA's from all the out of towners..
Out in the sun getting ready to load her up on the trailer. Roo the cattle dog approves! She wasn't super excited, she said she's seen one before..

out1.jpg

out3.jpg

out4.jpg

out5.jpg

Loaded her up on the trailer, Ed, Roo and I hopped in the pickup and off we go for a slow drive thru Columbia, Mo.. I was a bit nervous.. Not my truck, Not my trailer, Not my truck ON the trailer, Not my garage it was going to.. All the variables I did not have control over.. Once in Steve's neighborhood Ed and I walked down to get a game plan for delivery.. Backed her up the long drive and rolled off the trailer for the rest of the magic to start. Again, Not sure how to get Roo to be excited in this build.. She did pose with Ed and Steve for a photo op. Finally I could breath a bit.. BUT I had to make a run to Chef's for some brake hoses I was hoping were on his shelf in his garage. And I wanted to get the VW back to the rightful owner and grab my parts hauler Prius.. Quick jog across town again.

travel1.jpg

travel3.jpg

travel4.jpg

Game on.. Crew is here.. "let the wild rumpus begin" @trainrech ; @2fpower ; @theSherpa ; @DEW1 ; @CrowleyFJ40 were all waiting for me to start providing projects! Sorry we couldn't invite everyone, so don't take offense if you didn't make the cut. @kc_chevota had been by a few weeks earlier to assist in getting a garage door installed so he had a hall pass..
Let's say that @theSherpa and I were just running around trying to do our best to insure everyone had what they needed to get the project done..
the crew was ready to go.. and Go they did..
I will do my best to break this into manageable pieces with possible tech
ToyotaOil Pan Drain Plug Gasket90430-12031
ToyotaOil Pan12101-61013
ToyotaOil pan Gasket12151-61011
ToyotaOil Pan Drain Plug90341-12012

So Oil pan had a popped spot weld or two.. Off with the old, in with the new.. Revised updated "Universal" pan, gasket etc.. Part #'s listed for a reference. This job sucks.. Snap up's are used as well to assist. Fel-Pro ES 72865 8mm Snap ups.. Using a scissor jack to pop the pan helps a lot. Only close scissor jack was one out of a jeep in the driveway. set the jack against the spring, crank it up tight to the pan, let it sit and think about what it did.

10.9 3.jpg

10.9 6.jpg

10.9 1.jpg

Brakes lines. needed to plumb the whole vehicle . I use a K Tool International KCI70081 to flare lines. It is a well used tool and rarely is seen in my garage.. I normally stock my fittings from Federal Hill Trading Company
Tool instructions here https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/B1P5xoSeASS.pdf
Flare tool found on amazon and other places. Many relabel it such as jegs, summit and eastwood. Different dies for different applications are needed. See my note attached. With the correct turret and parts it can do Metric, Standard, and AN flares. They make a portable hydraulic one that can be used under the vehicle as well.

10.11 15.jpg

10.11 14.jpg

Attachments

• brakeflare tech.pdf
    243.5 KB · Views: 47
  • braketool.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 172
little more of the brake running, prop valve mount etc. Some of the brake line mounts came off other toyotas in the junkyard. Some are stainless mounts i used on my 45 and had extras. Whole truck was plumbed front to back, each axle, and the clutch.

10.11 9.jpg

wires4.jpg

10.11 11.jpg

10.11 12.jpg

Rear diff had a bad pinion bearing. So tasked the crew with pulling it out. While they were doing that i went to the stash and found all the diffs in buckets. It was noted that the rear inner long side axle had a bad bearing area as well. On the quest for one of those as well! 4 diffs and 2 inner axle shafts will make a prius handle weird! .. They guys were troopers and got that buttoned up. Luckily i had planned ahead and had the gaskets waiting. This also changed the Pinion flange to the same as the Tcase drum. Makes driveshafts easier with the same mount on both sides! Problem is i brought a long 60 rear inner shaft on my first trip. Back to the 40 parts hoard for the correct inner shaft.. Second or third trip was the charm.

10.10 2.jpg

10.10 1.jpg

Shock bushings had a flaw, they turned to dust and crumbled sometime in the last 5+ years of sitting there. heck, all the bushings turned to dust which is just weird. Grabbed the spare set of shocks in the parts pile, had the guys install those, I'll order new bushings for the shocks and put them on Chef's other truck. I needed to keep the momentum moving and didn't want to wait on shocks to arrive when there was a set sitting here.

10.11 4.jpg

10.11 18.jpg

10.11 17.jpg

10.11 8.jpg

I just do not have the words to thank everyone who came up and were pit crew for the weekend, Steve for having the space, and Erik for managing it all.

And yeah, erik is right, it's nev er really been in one piece when I owned it.
When I bought it, the driveline and seats were gone, and it had been sandblasted on the frame and then abandoned.
The first few outdoors shots...well, it's just crazy how this was a bunch of body worked and primered bits a month ago, and more or less a truck now.

Running boards are the old school ones with the insert.
There were 2 different lengths of this particular running board, The earlier ones were approx 6" shorter? I can compare them in my build if anyone need to know. Alan and I are both using the longer version that will match the newer FJ40 boards.
Pyramid Vinyl Matting - Canal Rubber Supply Co. Inc. has the correct material. I had Alan order a yard to split between our trucks. They guys finished up the install of the pyramid matting on the running boards. metric phillip cad plated screws were used with locknuts.

10.11 7.jpg

10.11 19.jpg

Radiator hoses needed to be test fit. And i needed to start routing heater hoses. Grabbed some stuff from the hoard again.. Nothing exciting but wanted to make sure i had the correct year hoses. This thing is a puzzle of years and a bit difficult to keep up with.

RADHOSES.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom