My LC is really slow going uphill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those of you familiar with Utah - I was driving up Parley's Canyon the other day which tops out at a 6% grade. I couldn't get above 55 mph uphill and I was flooring it. I wasn't towing anything.

Is this normal? The engine didn't really rev at all when I pressed on the gas all the way. It was topping out at about 2200 rpm.

I have a 2000 LC - so I have a 4 speed transmission.

I don't have a problem getting up to 75 mph on flat terrain. What do I need to check first?

interesting, idk. But i would like to hear what people come up with. I have a similar problem when towing my camper but thats a different story.

No check engine light?

I was told i needed to replace one of my cats, unfortunately the one i need to replace has about 3k miles on it :(

No check engine light - no codes. I've had the truck for a little over a year. I've probably gone up the canyon 4 times and it does this every time.

I wound check each cylinder compression wet and dry to compare it suppose to be low 120PSI to upper 175PSI - perhaps your LC have bad leak in the cylinder, valve or head gasket and not pushing the power . I can't compare my and I have a TRD SC , so its goes like crazy.

For those of you familiar with Utah - I was driving up Parley's Canyon the other day which tops out at a 6% grade. I couldn't get above 55 mph uphill and I was flooring it. I wasn't towing anything.

Is this normal? The engine didn't really rev at all when I pressed on the gas all the way. It was topping out at about 2200 rpm.

I have a 2000 LC - so I have a 4 speed transmission.

I don't have a problem getting up to 75 mph on flat terrain. What do I need to check first?

You might check your TPS and APPS. Fuel delivery as well.

The transmission also should have downshifted (pedal to floor), torque converter would unlock and I would have expected to see RPM in the 3500+ range until an up-shift.

A 6% grade is not all that steep...but enough to have caused a downshift to occur with half or greater pedal application.

My 99 LX would easily accelerate up that incline and I would expect to achieve MUCH greater speed than what you have indicated.

6 percent.jpg

Sounds maybe fuel pump related? I had a similar issue on my Jeep not getting enough fuel.

These trucks are far from performance related: heavy and underpowered. On long grades, I actively manage the gear selection to keep the engine in the power band. The Yin & Yang of the 4.72uzfe in a100 series is that it is detuned, but with its gearing provides good low end torque and exceptional longevity.

You can check the fuel pressure: there is a FSM procedure outlining the parameters for that.

What size are your tires?

yeah, larger tires and a 4 speed! I now run 4:88s and 35's, before gears I could only do 50-55 on long steep grades. I can hold 70 now on those same grades and that is on the gas, but not flooring it in 3rd. I am super weighed down will full armor too. you will like it @willbt

Maybe try OD off, pwr button pressed? I've pulled some good grades on I26 in NC and just try my best to keep it wound up and pretty much use any downhills to get speed for the climbs, maybe my Borla catback and KN help but im not terribly sure.

If I let the truck stay in 4th it will slow down going up Parley's, but just a little more gas will kick it down to 3rd and I can accelerate up those grades. If you've got it WOT and can't accelerate, something's up. I'd look at fuel, compression, transmission fluid, etc.

When i went to HIH5 from CO springs to ouray (up and down passes a lot) I was hardly keeping 50-55. The rig was loaded with people and gear but she was redlining it every chance she got. I use ECT power all the time.

Something isn’t right. The tranny should downshift when flooring it

These trucks are far from performance related: heavy and underpowered. On long grades, I actively manage the gear selection to keep the engine in the power band.

^^^^^ While I have never had to do that in my LX....it is something I practice regularly in my 80 series.

The beauty of the 4 speed automatic versions is that they can be used to closely mimic the operation of a manual 4 speed (as much as that is possible with an automatic transmission).

1. You can physically up or down shift the transmission to suit the situation.
2. You can (under certain conditions) control whether or not you have overdrive and/or TC lock-up.
3. You can select ECT...which will result in shift points at higher rpm.

With all these features available...I am surprised more folks don't use them.

I am 100% with you. I try to keep the engine in its best power curve if the circumstance calls for it and is not only brief in duration.

In the OP's case...I believe he has some issues other than 'heavy vehicle-limited power'.

If I let the truck stay in 4th it will slow down going up Parley's, but just a little more gas will kick it down to 3rd and I can accelerate up those grades. If you've got it WOT and can't accelerate, something's up. I'd look at fuel, compression, transmission fluid, etc.

All these can affect vehicle power to the wheels, in addition to exhaust (i.e. catalyst) restrictions. Being OBD-II, get a scan tool (or scangauge) that can record data and use a Volumetric Efficiency calculator to narrow it down.

I have the same problem. 2001 LX 4 Speed with 250k. It's been perfectly maintained. Drives awesome (slow), but theres this one hill, super steep and I've driven a few cars (especially turbos) that don't like it.

Funny thing is mine does the same thing. 2100-2200 RPM you can have it floored but it's not passing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom