My Homemade rear swing out carrier build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've decided it is time to fab my rear tire carrier. I had just a small 4x2 piece of steel on my 40 that I made while doing my restomod. I had planned on using that for my carrier build up but decided to go another route. Here is a shot of my before (this pic was taken before I installed my cage).

IMG_6069.jpg

I wanted to have a dual swing out for a tire and cooler / jerry can carrier. I went to a steel yard and bought a stick of 3x2x3/16" tubing and a stick of 2.5x3/16" sq. tubing, and 4"x3/16" flat strap. I bought 2 spindles from A to Z fab as well as two clevis mounts. I called IPOR and ordered a southco compression latch and 2 poly spacers. I also ordered 2 pull pins from McMaster Carr. I already had 2 trucklite STT lights from my previous bumper.

2010-09-03_19-31-51_268.jpg

2010-09-03_19-32-10_164.jpg

2010-09-03_19-31-17_148.jpg

I cut my 2x3 and made some supports out of some the 4" flat plate. I have 12 1/2" grade 8 bolts holding the mounts to my rear xmember. I starting working with how I wanted it to look an came up with this.

2010-09-03_19-33-14_343.jpg

I wanted to have a rear hitch but didn't want it hanging low to get caught on something, so I put it "recessed" into my bumper. I then cut some of my 4" flat to fill in where my lights will go.

2010-09-03_19-34-05_227.jpg

Last edited:
i filled in the light holes w/ the plate and then cut out my holes for the STT LED lights. I also used a hole saw to make my holes for the spindles.

2010-09-03_19-33-35_523.jpg

I started working on my swing outs last night. Got them both in and they look good. Very stout! I fabed up a piece of plate for my pull pin to drop into to secure the swing outs to hold them open.

2010-09-05_21-33-06_137.jpg

2010-09-05_21-32-44_958.jpg

2010-09-05_23-20-02_163.jpg

I'm going to start working on my tire bracket and cooler / jerry can carrier today.

Nick

Man that looks good. I like the dual swing out that will be nice.

I like the way you integrated the lockout system.
nice work

Thanks guys. I'll post up some more pics this afternoon. I am wanting to integrate a reciever hitch into the tire carrier that will allow you to "plug in" modular attachments (ie. bike rack, high lift carrier, ladder, what ever else) through the hub on the spare tire.

Nick

nice Job

I like the pull pins

nice choice

ease of use adds to the feel good factor when you made it yourself

looking forward to seeing it come together

Very cool, keep the pictures coming!

dude! that is awesome, you have given me ideas, I need to start mine.

Looking great man!
You dont think a single SO would have sufficed?
Ill be using pretty much the same gear as you have there, but Ill be doing a single swing.

Great job!

Nick,

Looks great! I'll send you my address and you can ship it to me as soon as you are done. ;p

Actually a swing out tire carrier is on my to-do list as soon as my 40 is running. Later... Too much else to do before then.

Lookin Great Nick!! good choice on the hardware. CURIOUS= Why the double swing?

Looking great man!
You dont think a single SO would have sufficed?
Ill be using pretty much the same gear as you have there, but Ill be doing a single swing.

Great job!

I mainly like the look of the double SO. But I wanted it to be super stout too and for the little bit more that it costs to do the double SO it was worth it to me.

Keith - So far I really like the southco latch and the a to z spindles are stout. No complaints at all other than the latch was a little more coin than one from mcmaster carr, but I like the way it operates.

Nick

Nick,

Looks great! I'll send you my address and you can ship it to me as soon as you are done. ;p

Actually a swing out tire carrier is on my to-do list as soon as my 40 is running. Later... Too much else to do before then.

Good to hear from you! It'll be in the mail tomorrow, hope it fits in the USPS flat rate box! I've actually really enjoyed building it and fabbing everything up.

Nick

Nick,
Does that latch LOCK in the closed position? How does that work?
When I built the swings for the 62 back in the day, I F'd up and got the non locking latch and had to use a velcro strap to retain it. I discovered this while running down a dirt road and the friggin thing swung open and blew out my gas strut.:eek::eek:
Dont wanna make that mistake again.
I like those weld on spring pins. I have a set that I might use for mine when i get there.

Keith there is tension on the latch when in the closed position but like you said, i wouldn't trust just that to keep it closed. The latch comes with a hole drilled through the body and the latch that you can put a locking pin of some sort in to make sure it stays closed. I plan on using this pin to make sure it doesn't do what happened to you. I'll probably run a locking pin like this:
McMaster-Carr

It looks like this mcmaster carr latch is a double locking latch but I don't know if it has provisions for a locking pin to be used with it. I like the idea of having a failsafe that I know will work, hence the locking pin.

McMaster-Carr

Hope this helps.
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom