My Homemade rear swing out carrier build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got most everything painted.

2010-09-11_15-51-17_222.jpg

2010-09-11_15-51-32_398.jpg

I let everything sit overnight and reassebled it this morning. I realized after I had it back together that I forgot to cap the ends of my bumper, so I'll need to do that at some point. I like how it turned out and it looks good on my 40. I'm waiting for a new wheel to come in and discount tire has a 35" BFG KM2 waiting for me so I can get my spare mounted. A few parting shots!

2010-09-12_15-24-52_903.jpg

2010-09-12_15-25-04_389.jpg

2010-09-12_15-25-13_311.jpg

2010-09-12_15-25-40_45.jpg

2010-09-12_15-25-58_834.jpg

I'll post a few omore pics once I get my spare tire on.

Nick

Last edited:
Is there still room for a spare tire with the jerry can/cooler carrier mounted?

Yup, it fits. I took my rear tire off in the garage before I made my jerry can carrier to maximize the width of the carrier but still have clearance for a 35" tire.

Nick

Sharp looking truck and great craftsmanship on the rear carrier! Did you also make the rear fender flares? They flow quite nicely with the lines of the truck!

Came out GREAT Nick!
Congrats on the completion!
Very nice work!

One more addition

Way awesome! The tire carrier looks like you could add many accessories like...
bbq1hitch_007.jpg

Came out GREAT Nick!
Congrats on the completion!
Very nice work!

Thanks a bunch Keith! I'm stoked to have it done, now on to rebuilding the 8274 I just bought!

Way awesome! The tire carrier looks like you could add many accessories like...

Very nice, I may have to see what I can do with something like that! I like!

Nick

Man, awesome!!! When are you gooing to start taking orders?

Thanks! The rear flares are IPOR flares.
Iron Pig Off Road, Toyota 4WD experts

Nick

This came out really nice. What are those flares made out of, steel, aluminum or fiberglass? The IPOR site breaks its body part section down like that but doesn't show pics, etc from each category. :crybaby:

Second, if you wanted to replace the cooler carrier with a second 35 spare, is there space for that? :hmm:

Thanks,
John

Just ONE criticism....
You may want to consider adding a support to the outer edge of the basket just to be safe.
Maybe a simple square tube that you used, run from the under side of the outer basket down to the swing arm or the upright supports in sort of a triangulated fashion.
Probably be okay without it, but seems that the leverage on the outer portion of the basket could stress the welds and break.

Just a thought.

Just ONE criticism....
You may want to consider adding a support to the outer edge of the basket just to be safe.
Maybe a simple square tube that you used, run from the under side of the outer basket down to the swing arm or the upright supports in sort of a triangulated fashion.
Probably be okay without it, but seems that the leverage on the outer portion of the basket could stress the welds and break.

Just a thought.

I agree 100% and meant to do that before I painted it but got into a hurry and wanted to get it done and just forgot! Thanks for the reminder. I was actually thinking about making the basket a reciever style attachment so the basket would slide down into the 2.5" downbars and attach w/ grade 8 bolts. That way I could have different size attachments for different stuff, but that may be overkill. I have more of the 1x1x1/8" sq. tube that I can use for supports. I think I'm also going to get some expanded metal and install that as the "floor" for my basket. I also need to add some loops for tie down anchors.

Nick

Looks Sharp!!! do you any idea how much did you spent in total??

I kind of lost track. Probably 200 in steel and 175 - 200 in hardware, maybe and some more in additional parts. But I have a lot of time in it. I also had the rear LEDs already. I want to get some white LEDs and add those into the bumper also.

This came out really nice. What are those flares made out of, steel, aluminum or fiberglass? The IPOR site breaks its body part section down like that but doesn't show pics, etc from each category. :crybaby:

Second, if you wanted to replace the cooler carrier with a second 35 spare, is there space for that? :hmm:

Thanks,
John

They are heavy duty steel. Backing is 1/4" and the rolled portion is 3/16". You have to call them to get them.

I think I would have room for a spare. I haven't really tried, but I think i could be down w/ a 35" spare.

Nick

They are heavy duty steel. Backing is 1/4" and the rolled portion is 3/16". You have to call them to get them.

I think I would have room for a spare. I haven't really tried, but I think i could be down w/ a 35" spare.

Nick

Nick,
If you find that you can get two 35s back there as spares, you and I need to talk off line. If you find a free minute sometime this week and can try it pm me and let me know if you got it to work. I have been looking for a setup that could do this for over a year. Let me know,
John

Nick,
If you find that you can get two 35s back there as spares, you and I need to talk off line. If you find a free minute sometime this week and can try it pm me and let me know if you got it to work. I have been looking for a setup that could do this for over a year. Let me know,
John

PM Sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom