My Homemade rear swing out carrier build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finally got my highlift jack mounted to my rear carrier. It fits really well and is snug and doesn't get in the way. With the angle, it is about 2" shorter than the top of my hardtop.

2011-01-25_16-07-02_284.jpg

2011-01-25_16-07-27_643.jpg

I also got this Hella Matador work light as a birthday present, so I created a quick mount for it. At the lowest position (which is what is pictured) it sits right above the tire. Fully extended it is about 13" taller. I just have to wire it up now.

2011-01-25_16-07-52_617.jpg

Nick

Very nice job!!! I really like the light. Slick as snot!

I have searched the IPOR website several times and can find no FJ40 fender flares. Where do they hide them? A search locates no products.

They don't list it, you have to call them and ask them if they have some in stock.

Finished setup looks great Nick! And Happy Birthday!

Thanks a bunch Steve!

Latch Information

I think you metioned that you were able to purchase the latch from IPOR. The latch supplied from SouthCo.com. If so I will be giving them a call. Also how is that latch working out? Feels solid?

I was wondering, how much that latch set you back? I am planning on making a swing out similar to what you did for a summer project, but I need to start accumulating the parts.

Thank you.

I think you metioned that you were able to purchase the latch from IPOR. The latch supplied from SouthCo.com. If so I will be giving them a call. Also how is that latch working out? Feels solid?

I was wondering, how much that latch set you back? I am planning on making a swing out similar to what you did for a summer project, but I need to start accumulating the parts.

Thank you.

The latch is working great, very strong. I ran it through Moab and twisted and stressed the cruiser, and the latch never budged. I think I paid about $55 for it. Building my bumper was one of favorite parts of the entire cruiser build.

Nick

damn...i cant believe i put the white walls out on my bfg's.........looks good man!!

thanks, appreciate it.

I do prefer the black out, but that is my opinion, YMMV.

Nick

0C39EBB9-CCBB-4694-9F98-016F6DDDBA8D.jpeg
I’m getting ready to start the swing out on my bumper tomorrow. My plan is to have a 35” spare on one swing out and a basket on the other. I’m tackling the tire carrier first. The plan is to have it welded on three levels: topside(flat), middle(adding a plate) and bottom(angled) of the bumper. I’ll have an added “landing bushing” at the far end of the SO to help it stay in locked position.
So I have a question for those that have done this: Should I mount the pivot at a slight angle to plan for deflection?

Good question! I didn't think of that before I built mine. The 36" tire causes the free end to hang low by about 3/8", but is it the full width of my bumber. If your swingouts are only half the bumper width in length your droop will be much reduced. I am not sure if angling the pivot makes the best sense, but angling the lower arm up a little might. The trick would be in how how much is enough for a snug fit without leaving a gap under the arm when closed. Maybe some guys who built a split carrier will have some good advice on that.

So I have a question for those that have done this: Should I mount the pivot at a slight angle to plan for deflection?

Hey Nick,

Great build!

Quick question...how did you fab the hinges?

I'm building a swing out hitch for a bike carrier...Thanks!

Hey Nick,

Great build!

Quick question...how did you fab the hinges?

I'm building a swing out hitch for a bike carrier...Thanks!
I used the RuffStuff pivots and I’ve seen zero deflection. I assumed I’d see some, but it’s beefy enough to absorb the 35” with no sign of sag. I ran 2x2 construction on the swingout. It doesn’t seem to flex. Period. If you’re building a rack for Mtb I’d build bigger than you’d expect- my bike get heavier with age.

I used the RuffStuff pivots and I’ve seen zero deflection. I assumed I’d see some, but it’s beefy enough to absorb the 35” with no sign of sag. I ran 2x2 construction on the swingout. It doesn’t seem to flex. Period. If you’re building a rack for Mtb I’d build bigger than you’d expect- my bike get heavier with age.
Thanks @archie73 I'm currently browsing RuffStuff's site and haven't been able to find them...Do you know what section they would be under? Did a search for "pivot", too, and nothing came up.

I did see their locking pull pin handle...that looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom