Builds The 60 known as Mamabear: a tale of rust and good times. (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2,700 miles in 7 days from Houston, TX to Aspen, CO and back in a carbureted 100hp fast tractor. A few bandaids, some duct tape on a broken mirror, some ingenious fixes, 6 mountain passes, several wheel weights, more fill ups than I can count, some real learning experiences and a truck that’s far more capable off road then I can drive it. This truck impressed me without a doubt. 305,000 miles on the original 2F and it made the round trip without giving up. This thing is a tank. Wouldn’t change a thing.

View attachment 1795478
That’s a great trip. Now that you’ve done it your next one needs to be the Solid Axle Summit next August :)

It could be done. I have a few things to make better before I do this. Just needs some love. @CenTXFJ60

4 plus u bolt flips and a rear locker would do most of what I need. The truck impressed me on the trails. I just haven’t learned how to pick the right lines!

It could be done. I have a few things to make better before I do this. Just needs some love. @CenTXFJ60

4 plus u bolt flips and a rear locker would do most of what I need. The truck impressed me on the trails. I just haven’t learned how to pick the right lines!
Understand. I've been learning from the other folks that are have the skills. I've learned to appreciate what these trucks can do. I run a rear LSD and have not had an issue with anything yet??? I spent many years riding woods bikes and it's the same concept...just a lot slower and on 4 wheels :)

I did Montezuma and pearl with very little experience and it worked out well. But the truck is the real star. Those were “difficult” trails.

De-smogged 2F, H55F/rebuilt split case from georg @ valley hybrids, open 3.70 diffs, ome heavy/heavy with bilstein and 33x10.5 BFG K02 on stock wheels.

B2427185-520D-4A34-AE8E-CA2C9E0A38A9.jpeg

17829FEE-D9E4-4254-B5D4-CABA4D27DB1E.jpeg

I’m traveling. I really wanted to drive the truck to Los Angeles but i wasn’t up for sitting in it for 24 hours with worn seat cushions and no sound deadening after that CO trip. I’m figuring out more of what I need to work on next. Carpet, seat cushions and lots of insulation.

The missus and her friend are instead driving my truck around doing art delivery for her job. I’m just happy it’s being used while I’m driving a rental around Los Angeles.

8AFDEED6-5699-43B9-8BA2-8592C467B84F.jpeg

I finally put different seats in mine. What a world of difference, highly recommended.

Time for you to start tackling that rust dude!!
I’m actively looking for the two drivers doors and a lower tail gate in silver.

That would fix about half of it. The normal patch panels would take care of the rest.

I finally put different seats in mine. What a world of difference, highly recommended.

I’m thinking about doing the SOR seat foams first because my interior and seat covers is on decent shape.

Next major things:

Wire in a compact cb radio to the fire stick antenna.
Install my inclinometer
Wire up this little aux panel where the ashtray was.
Install the arb air compressor for future lockers and current tire air up.
Purchase another group 27 battery and the Blue Sea ACR charging system.

I like these Costco interstate batteries but the marine ones only carry a 12 month warranty while the passenger car batteries go with a 36 mo.

I’ll then move all my extra stuff to the aux battery and get ready for the fridge.

I’m prepping for another big bend trip this December and I’ll likely get a roof top tent by then.

306,000 miles currently. In 1000 miles I will have 30,000 miles of daily driving without any issues. Love this truck. Except for when it tears my clothes on the rust and sharp edges.

5BE1B02D-2B15-4A80-ADCA-81E3D80AD7CA.jpeg

AA63B62C-BCEA-4D9A-85EE-3553568D4948.jpeg

A6255545-6985-47C7-80D4-44FEB9F1678A.jpeg

E3196F84-723D-4AA8-A547-3E40121D95F3.jpeg

Are you still running 3.70 gears?
Yes. Looking for 4.11 chunks but I’d be fine with an air locker and 3.70’s.

Open 3.70 and better driving could have avoided me winching up the hardest part of the stuff i did in Colorado. A locker would have made it a breeze.

Yes. Looking for 4.11 chunks but I’d be fine with an air locker and 3.70’s.

Open 3.70 and better driving could have avoided me winching up the hardest part of the stuff i did in Colorado. A locker would have made it a breeze.

Not thinking of the off road. On that note, lockers always help there but 4.11s would not have need noticeable.

I was asking since every person tells me a 2F/H55 with 3.70s and 33’s is useless on the road.

Of course there are so many variables there I can’t even begin to list them.

But.
For your truck.

On the road. How’s the gearing?

I’d wager a guess that most people don’t put as many miles as I do.

My wife drives the truck with ease daily when I travel, I drove 2500 miles to Colorado and back while impressing both my self and my good friend who was a 60 owner also, and it did almost everything I asked it to off road.

It’s not ideal, but it’s certainly not useless. It rolls off idle in first like a Stock truck. Let the clutch out and go.

6,000 miles since the h55 swap and it’s only gotten better.

18 hours start to finish for the swap and that was with a few snags.

I bought it as a mated set from Georg. No hassle.

Very worth it.

Bump...

Preparing to take a big bend Christmas trip

I'm going to knock out the following before we go:

-valve adjustment
-oem PS Pump install and a new high pressure hose
-Brake shoes (the super cheap ones I used came apart in 10,000 miles)
-ARB roof top tent
-ARB compressor

That will get it lined out. I'm still really happy with this rusty truck.

How long do you have to get that stuff knocked out before your trip? Looks like you got some fun items in there and reminds me that I need to pull my plugs and check my valves.

3 weeks til. I’ll knock it out in the next two weekends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom