Builds The 60 known as Mamabear: a tale of rust and good times. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wasn’t really my old carb.... I never even ran it but I get why your saying small world. I won’t be selling my stock carb, not after having the throttle bushing replaced. Like you, I might need it eventually.

I'm all for keeping spares and getting the critical parts that could ground the truck before they go NLA.

@HemiAlex Speaking of... your carb will be coming off this weekend and my old rebuilt to replace. You want me to send direct to Jim?!

@HemiAlex Speaking of... your carb will be coming off this weekend and my old rebuilt to replace. You want me to send direct to Jim?!

I’ll get it sent back to my place and may send it to him after I recover from all these upgrades. I’ll pm you the address.

@orangefj45 cant wait!

Just one one more piece from @cruiserjunktion

And some partsouq stuff and we’re resdy for an install party.

CEDEAEB7-35D1-481A-91BC-7C86030F0F7F.png

Upgrade completed. Would not have been able to do this on my own without the help of @FARMAN33

Hats of to this guy who worked a shift, and then pulled 18 hours start to finish to get this done.

No leaks, no problems and a totally different truck.

New H55F and split case by @orangefj45
New oem oil pan
Oem rear main
Oem trans mount
Aisin clutch and throw out bearing
Resurfaced flywheel from @cruiserjunktion

The old split case was really tired. Rear output shaft bearing was moving a ton. The H42 was whining a ton but shifted great.

Now I’ve got a functional overdrive and the truck loves it. It cruised home easily and felt very proper. The 33” tires suddenly seem like a correct tire for my truck.

41CB6DBD-D196-4636-BD0E-D81CFC8E979E.jpeg

C0544E60-339E-4AC3-94EC-14B87F5EACC8.jpeg

58B82385-0E52-4DE8-BAEB-1B83706826F4.jpeg

115560E2-7265-47B3-BC64-AD15824F8FB9.jpeg

What a day! Had a great time cussing and figuring stuff out. I don't so much feel that I worked on a truck as got run over by one. This morning was ROUGH! Also thanks to @John Staton for stopping in to see things and bring blessed hydration.

What a day! Had a great time cussing and figuring stuff out. I don't so much feel that I worked on a truck as got run over by one. This morning was ROUGH! Also thanks to @John Staton for stopping in to see things and bring blessed hydration.

Glad to see you guys finished....great work and great shop. I am about convinced buying a matted H55 and transfer case from Valley is the way to go. Just too many things that could go wrong if you dont at least start out right. Hopefully get mine ordered at the end of Aug/beginning of Sept. Thanks for letting me hang out...on the way home I stopped by and picked up some mats from a guy that knows you...Don Paullo. He is looking to sell his 60 here soon.

Upgrade completed. Would not have been able to do this on my own without the help of @FARMAN33

Hats of to this guy who worked a shift, and then pulled 18 hours start to finish to get this done.

No leaks, no problems and a totally different truck.

New H55F and split case by @orangefj45
New oem oil pan
Oem rear main
Oem trans mount
Aisin clutch and throw out bearing
Resurfaced flywheel from @cruiserjunktion

The old split case was really tired. Rear output shaft bearing was moving a ton. The H42 was whining a ton but shifted great.

Now I’ve got a functional overdrive and the truck loves it. It cruised home easily and felt very proper. The 33” tires suddenly seem like a correct tire for my truck.

View attachment 1765547

View attachment 1765551

View attachment 1765552

View attachment 1765554

Congrats! I’m going to hit you up for hits and tips before I get mine going this fall.

First drive to work just validated the whole deal. Driving on a busy freeway with that transmission at 75 made this completely worth it. The high mileage and desmogged 2F in my truck pulls from 2000-2700 rpm in a happy manner.

It just feels like what should have been there all along. No more slipping the clutch for starts or having to get out of the left lane everytime a Prius feels like he is king of the road. I honestly had started loathing the truck and wanted a new daily driver. Driving was such an ordeal of planning 3 steps ahead of everyone else and having to accept that keeping speed was basically an exercise in futility. Even around town the gears feel more naturally spaced and organic. Part of this issue of hating the truck is my fault for living in a metropolitan area of speeders and 5-20 over the limit being the norm.

I'm very happy, the cost was completely worth it and my mechanical work is done for a long time. Until the 2F blows. Which may be never. It was really clean inside.

I just need to get a few more miles and put some GL-4 synthetic gear oil into it and let it eat.

Super jealous! That is one of the things that has been on my list since day once with BeBe. She will get one one of these days, but just not right now.

Man, I've got a new found love for the truck. Needs a JimC carb soon and my PS box rebuilt and I can only see maintenance for at least 50,000 miles.

You need to send me your mailing address so I can send you back your carb! Or send me all the information to print out for Jim to put in the box and I will mail directly to him.

I think I’ve knocked out the oil leak from the oil pan gasket about three heat cycles worth of snugging the bolts and we’re in good shape.

Going to have a quote from an exhaust shop today to get a new exhaust made for it from the manifold to the muffler. I’ve got a warped flange that’s a constant loud exhaust leak. @FJ40Jim showed a good picture of what happens.

So I bought a heavy reproduction flange from eBay. I’ll likely get a 2.25” pipe made up and have them install the walker tail pipe that i got from rock auto. I need it to clear my OME shackle and FJ62 rear sway bar. If it won’t fit I’ll let the shop make something up.

I think I’ve knocked out the oil leak from the oil pan gasket about three heat cycles worth of snugging the bolts and we’re in good shape.

Going to have a quote from an exhaust shop today to get a new exhaust made for it from the manifold to the muffler. I’ve got a warped flange that’s a constant loud exhaust leak. @FJ40Jim showed a good picture of what happens.

So I bought a heavy reproduction flange from eBay. I’ll likely get a 2.25” pipe made up and have them install the walker tail pipe that i got from rock auto. I need it to clear my OME shackle and FJ62 rear sway bar. If it won’t fit I’ll let the shop make something up.
Glad to hear and read on how much a difference an H55 is on a FJ60!
Congrats!

Consider having the shoproute the exhaust up and over the axle and pass outside the frame divers frame rail and out the back.

Mine is routed inside the leafs and back and I’m going to have to modify it to put in a LR tank or a larger that 31” tire in the stock spare location.

I bought a walker 46678 tailpipe for $28

It says it’s made for a 60 and 62. I’m going to see if if it looks like it will clear the sway bar, if not I’ll get them to make it.

77429E00-623F-451B-A1B2-B9083487119F.jpeg

I explained to the shop what I was doing and they were super cool! It was owned but a Central American gentleman who loved my truck.

We used the eBay flange and built a new downpipe. We decided to dump the exhaust before the axle and fit the sway bar, and then I’ll take it back for the tail pipe once all that is in place.

The manifold connection is no longer leaking, so this was a huge victory. I knew I’d done something right when my idle raised after fixing that huge leak!

I need to redo my lean drop now.

A0870343-8E5D-4631-91D4-0E018ABC1458.jpeg

CF716D1A-A013-40F4-9D27-ECEEB3C63434.jpeg

BADE74DD-DAAF-45B1-815E-B65B9D685DAD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom