Builds My FJ40 Journey... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, my experience at Maaco here in Vancouver Wa was less than stellar. After receiving my vehicle and beginning work on it, they missed their own set deadline by several days. I showed up there to see how it is going. Long story short, they glued my vehicle together with 3 different types of epoxy. Literally glued it. The manager Tim would not complete the contract as we agreed and me and my vehicle were literally thrown off the property. NEVER go to Maaco. See pictures below. So now I am back at square one....I have never been treated so poorly as a customer in my entire life.

IMG_1730.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

IMG_1737.JPG

IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1740.JPG

Maaco. Shorthand for garbage! My last employer decided the fleet needed to be painted a specific shade of blue so they bought new Dodge Caravans and contracted with Maaco to paint them. Mine had a hand print in the hood and the whole vehicle looked like it had been hand sanded with 60 grit paper. Another van had a blue hand print in the middle of a seat. I wouldn't let them paint my garbage can.

Maaco. Shorthand for garbage! My last employer decided the fleet needed to be painted a specific shade of blue so they bought new Dodge Caravans and contracted with Maaco to paint them. Mine had a hand print in the hood and the whole vehicle looked like it had been hand sanded with 60 grit paper. Another van had a blue hand print in the middle of a seat. I wouldn't let them paint my garbage can.
Several of the older vehicles I saw in the parking lot actually had decent paint jobs.

do you have plates behind the sheet metal for reinforcement of the spare tire carrier mounting holes? otherwise you'll be disappointed pretty quickly.
That I do not have yet. It was one of the things on my list to address once the interior was to bare metal.

So here is where I am at currently since I’m giving myself a crash course on body work and paint. I have a DA sander but my new 21 gal compressor from hobo-freight doesn’t have a big enough tank to run it longer than a minute at a time. So I have an electric sander I’ve been using with 80 grit paper and LOTS of time. Anyone use epoxy primer? PO didn’t seem to use much primer on his rattle can paint job. I have some light pitting rust on the driver side door and a couple surface rust areas on the fenders. Best advice to combat that?

FF8FF67E-610D-49C6-9314-345063EEC0BE.jpeg

3CE8E12B-8B41-4179-BB74-140EEDB4B1D9.jpeg

8A985369-78ED-43E5-B6B4-4C0640F8F8BE.jpeg

80AE50D9-3704-43DF-8597-25BBF786CB6D.jpeg

36B7D4C6-CBA4-43EB-AACA-60617A31304D.jpeg

Good start to your build. If you need a hand with anything let me know. I am just up the street from you... well 30 min from Olympia.

I discovered an electric DA sander and a box of 80 grit pads while welding the rear sill at my uncles house. That makes the paint come off way easier. I’m glad I’m taking it down to metal everywhere there isn’t any factory paint left as I’m discovering pockets of surface rust here and there. Flat paint and questionable primer in the PNW is not a good combo. Not waterproof at all.

4B8465D1-963D-4A10-81DF-E9B2B17602E8.jpeg

4EE57127-00EE-4550-BAD9-86DA2399ABFC.jpeg

E71BA5FC-91F2-41AA-9745-3624ECF17135.jpeg

5F42D8FD-CE4F-4986-AB34-A1B52B4B9485.jpeg

CEDE5FD8-B8B1-44E0-AD3C-74207852C848.jpeg

Have to mention, there is NO WAY MAACO would take the time to do the required job. They are nothing but a quick flip on paint. Your best lesson has now been learned.

Have to mention, there is NO WAY MAACO would take the time to do the required job. They are nothing but a quick flip on paint. Your best lesson has now been learned.
The guy who gave me my quote and reviewed my Jalopy a few times said they had just done an FJ40 and was well aware of the time and work requirement. However, I feel me doing the body work and paint at worst will be as good as their attempt and at best vastly superior.

Wow I just caught back up on this thread - dang you definitely went down the rabbit hole...

I think rhino liner can be tinted to match your paint. At least I think. One of those liners can. I’ve never used it however.
I think I’m going to go with the standard dark gray lining inside.

Wow! You've become one with your sander. Impressive.

Looks like your tub is ready to come off! Are you going to rhino line inside and underneath your tub? If so, I'd consider at least having the underside media blasted. You'll save yourself so much time. I had my underside LineX'd, including the firewall. If I had a do-over, I would follow Jonathan Wards advice to just paint the firewall.

As far as paint, I prefer 2 part epoxy primer and paint. It's durable.

Something to consider is SprayMax 2 part epoxy in the rattle cans. I've had route66 custom mix some paint for me. It lay's down really nicely. It'd be more costly but simple and consistent. I think Eastwood sells SprayMax with an Eastwood label, but no custom mixtures. They have some good Yotube how-to's.

You may look back on this project as absolutely insane but you'll feel eternally satisfied that you built that sucker with your own sweat.

Looks like your tub is ready to come off! Are you going to rhino line inside and underneath your tub? If so, I'd consider at least having the underside media blasted. You'll save yourself so much time. I had my underside LineX'd, including the firewall. If I had a do-over, I would follow Jonathan Wards advice to just paint the firewall.

Something to consider is SprayMax 2 part epoxy in the rattle cans. I've had route66 custom mix some paint for me. It lay's down really nicely. It'd be more costly but simple and consistent. I think Eastwood sells SprayMax with an Eastwood label, but no custom mixtures. They have some good Yotube how-to's.

You may look back on this project as absolutely insane but you'll feel eternally satisfied that you built that sucker with your own sweat.
I’m torn on removing my tub as I have completely ospho’d and rustoleumed my under side and axles/frame etc. I have no rust through spots on in my tub at all and floor boards are as solid as the day it left the factory. I think I’m leaning towards leaving the tub on, painting everything, and then rhino line the interior of the tub.

Oh, and I’ve already painted my firewall as best I can with the tub sitting on the frame.

So I’m making swift progress now on the jalopy. Does anyone know if the late 73’s are supposed to have fuel tank covers or the fuel tank fill door? I’m trying to be as close to original within reason. Is it worth tracking them down or just leave it the way it is? I’ve seen mixed pictures on the 73’s. Some have doors or the tank cover, some don’t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom