Builds My FJ40 Journey... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the cut-out on the rear sill indicates that it is not in OEM configuration, but I would rather focus on making the truck road-worthy for driving - brakes would be high on my list of priorities

that spacer is the least of your concerns, believe me :doh:

Last edited:
the cut-out on the rear sill indicates that it is not in OEM configuration, but I would rather focus on making the truck road-worthy for driving - brakes would be high on my list of priorities

that spacer is the least of your concerns, believe me :doh:
I have completely rebuilt rear brakes which I left drum, new brake master cylinder, new front calipers, and waiting on 2 front hoses being built then besides lines I'll have new brakes.

Well I haven't posted anything for a bit but here is my update. I don't think I'm going to tear her down any farther besides enough to paint the firewall as best as I can and remove the pedals. 4700 for a complete paint job base/clear with a color change to white seem appropriate to you guys? Last pic is my current paint/parts cleaning area. How does so much crap get so rusty!?

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

Here is what my rear and front heaters looked like when I tire into them. I'll post again once I've completed cleaning them up and painting them. Oh, also my makeshift paint booth for small items. Did the rear heater have foam in the bottom of it below core? I've also never seen so much hair, what looks to be old foam, and rust cemented together!

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1426.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

After two rounds of degreaser, pressure washing, and then liberal applications of rust inhibitor over the course of 2 days I'm still finding dirt! The rust inhibitor makes me real nervous. I was afraid my 40 would melt!

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

I'm also considering pouring a handsome amount of rustmort into my rear hatches and giving them more shaking than an hour with Richard Simmons. Thoughts? Keep in mind I don't want the jalopy to melt and disappear!
I squirted Ospho into my rear hatch and inside doors on my 1974 40 and it worked well. Good idea.

I squirted Ospho into my rear hatch and inside doors on my 1974 40 and it worked well. Good idea.
That's exactly what I did. Have rust in the lower black doors that sound like maracas when you shake them. I poured a bunch of ospho in them and shook them. Rear hatch door too.

Well I know this isn't the best way to paint a firewall and I'm absolutely an amateur painter/body guy but I got it done tonight. I can't stand when people paint these things al the firewall is a different color than everything else. So I did some amature hour painting of my firewall Toyota white which is what I'm going to paint the fj40. Trust me, pictures make it look nice. In person I keep eyeballing my flaws.

IMG_1626.JPG

IMG_1627.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG

Well I know this isn't the best way to paint a firewall and I'm absolutely an amateur painter/body guy but I got it done tonight. I can't stand when people paint these things al the firewall is a different color than everything else. So I did some amature hour painting of my firewall Toyota white which is what I'm going to paint the fj40. Trust me, pictures make it look nice. In person I keep eyeballing my flaws.

View attachment 1493397

View attachment 1493398

View attachment 1493399
Looks great from the back of a fast horse! Just kidding, you got time,energy and heart invested. Enjoy!!

Today I did some smaller odds and ends of cleaning and painting. Feeling a bit of pressure as I have a hard date of July 24th to have this at the body shop. I'm having the local Maaco do it as they were the only ones I found who didn't want an arm and a leg plus a year to do it. Plus, I hear from a few car guys they do a good job if you're willing to put up a few bucks.

IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_1641.JPG

IMG_1643.JPG

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1646.JPG

So one big project I have to get done is to drill holes and mount my spare tire carrier. PO put new rear panels on but neglected this part. He did install the frame for the rear sill appropriately I believe. I ordered the outer sill from CCT to be put on by the body guys. Exactly how far over do I drill these holes into the sill frame and the upper bracket that I haven't built yet? No plate exist for the upper bolts either. Could a guy get away with not having welded nuts to the back plate? Thoughts?

IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_1650.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1654.JPG

Well I took the plunge and it's almost straight! The tire carrier ended up slightly high when you try and latch it. Which I approve of vs being to low. I expect over the years the tire carrier may sag some which will make the catch perfect. Holes are drilled for the spare tire carrier and latch hook. Painted a bunch underneath. I figured a layer of paint after a couple of ospho treatments couldn't hurt.

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_1690.JPG

I got the back bumper sanded and painted last night. The jalopy was sent to get body and paint done today. 1-2 weeks and I'll know if it was a good idea or not.

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom