my build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Covid has me bored so I decided to share my slow build with links. Purchased my 05 lx 470 in 2016 with under 80k miles and have been slowly doing mods along the way while life threw some curve balls. I mainly spent money on initial baselining an adventure trailer. Waiting on the dissent tire carrier and Will likely add foam shocks and wheels.

05 lx
stock ahc
toyo at 2 LT285/65/18
cruisin off road step sliders Cruisin Off Road - Sliders
dissent aluminum front bumper 100% made in the USA!
dissent rear steel bumper
air lift 1000 Air Lift 1000 Install
mori moto HID light conversion HID MINI H1 BRACKET AND PROJECTOR INSTALL GUIDE
owl expedition fire extinguisher holder Products
owl expedition rock light
owl expedition media mount
hurricane rear tailgate Tailgate Storage mods
differential breather extension Finally extended my breathers
led interier lights
80/20 on stock rack 80/20 with Stock Roof Rack
stock fog light high beam override Fog Light Switch Rewire for High Beam Use
grom audio vline2
kicker sub in stock box Kicker CompRT 43CWRT672 CompRT shallow-mount 6-3/4" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield
yota md key YotaMD
landcruiser phil fan kit Land Cruiser Products - LCP
landcruiser phil mud flap eliminator
landcruiser phil stock jack adapter
formula 1 pinnacle and stratus tint
heat shield for gas lines 100 Caught fire & gas tank venting concerns

lx4701.jpg

529D94C2-1059-4B35-B94F-6BF3301CA794.jpeg

6FB64B33-C373-4D1C-B16D-A2D7099D9063_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice build. How did you pick dissent? looking for a rear bumper for my LX470.

They state they ship "uncoated unless otherwise specified"? Meaning I have to powder coat myself?

They state they ship "uncoated unless otherwise specified"? Meaning I have to powder coat myself?
Unless something has changed, Dissent always shipped un-coated (except the roof rack).

Nice build! That front shot looks like it could be on the moon. Really cool.

Thanks for the shout out!

Yes, you need to arrange paint or coating or whatever. Upside is that you can do whatever you want and you control the price. You can rattle can it with spray paint from Home Depot for very little, powder coat or color match with auto paint. Downside is it's an extra step to manage.

I've got dissent armor and for me, aluminum option and aesthetics were my leading factors for choosing Dissent. There are lots of good bumper makers for our 100's that support the community, but nothing looks quite like Dissent.

Nice work @socalmtbiker ! Looking forward to seeing the rest of this story!

+1 on Dissent products. @benc stands by his product which lead me be to purchase the whole package!

Socalmtbiker: inquiring mind want to know.....
1) why steel vs alum for rear bumper?
2) where is ur bike transport method?
a) did u consider a bike trans build off rear bumper?

Socalmtbiker: inquiring mind want to know.....
1) why steel vs alum for rear bumper?
2) where is ur bike transport method?
a) did u consider a bike trans build off rear bumper?

1) At the time of purchase, aluminum rear was not an option and was just talk. I was in the first batch of people that got a rear no cut bumper. From what I researched, the rear gets most hits with the departure angle. I'm still running ahc so thought steel was the way to go at stock height. I do raise the rig but it still manages to hit the rear at times. I've already hit the rear and gotten away with it. Not sure about aluminum with a fully loaded rig.

2) I use a 1up rack. Most of the time the family is with me so I pull a trailer if we're camping. I will use a roof mount bike rack when towing. If I'm solo, I'll just use the hitch. I ordered the dissent swing out and the accessory rack has a hitch mount for the 1 up which I will use.

What paint did you use for the front grille and wheels?

What paint did you use for the front grille and wheels?
Grill I just plasti dipped
Wheels Initially plasti dipped but it collected so much brake dust and was difficult to wash off. So I removed and used duplicolor can metallic grey and some clear.

Following ur lead w 1up.

Btw:I head down to sd quite often. Would like to meet up to get "lessons learned" data dump w/r to both front rear armor/bike rack.

May the force be with you ✌

Following ur lead w 1up.

Btw:I head down to sd quite often. Would like to meet up to get "lessons learned" data dump w/r to both front rear armor/bike rack.

May the force be with you ✌
I really liked the 1Up racks, but was able to get a smoking deal on a Rocky Mounts SplitRail and love it so far. Few little gripes but nothing that doesn't make it well worth the $375 I paid for it shipped.

Oh and @socalmtbiker .... do you know what the towing capacity is on the Dissent rear? Or does it have a rated towing capacity? I want a rear with swing out like that, but since I will be towing a trailer (22' ~6000lbs) I want something that integrates with the stock tow points to keep that rating. Only one that I have kinda been able to find info on is ARB.

I really liked the 1Up racks, but was able to get a smoking deal on a Rocky Mounts SplitRail and love it so far. Few little gripes but nothing that doesn't make it well worth the $375 I paid for it shipped.

Oh and @socalmtbiker .... do you know what the towing capacity is on the Dissent rear? Or does it have a rated towing capacity? I want a rear with swing out like that, but since I will be towing a trailer (22' ~6000lbs) I want something that integrates with the stock tow points to keep that rating. Only one that I have kinda been able to find info on is ARB.

I think the consensus is that few builders rate their bumpers for liability reasons. Too expensive to prove. ARB I think gets an exception because they have to test it to sell them in Australia. All that I've seen though—Dissent, Slee, BIOR, and others seem to be built well enough to handle stock towing capacity.

I think the consensus is that few builders rate their bumpers for liability reasons. Too expensive to prove. ARB I think gets an exception because they have to test it to sell them in Australia. All that I've seen though—Dissent, Slee, BIOR, and others seem to be built well enough to handle stock towing capacity.
Ok yeah I guess that makes sense. So dumb question, but looks like on the Dissent, it utilizes a receiver similar to that of the LX (bolts through rear crossmember) but is bolted through the new bumper, or am I misinterpreting that part?

I thought it was really interesting removing the common style non-integrated hitches because they are just a huge cantilever. The mounting points are way forward and out from the hitch. With the dissent piece, it's very firmly fastened very close to the load. That should help with tongue weight capacity.

Ok yeah I guess that makes sense. So dumb question, but looks like on the Dissent, it utilizes a receiver similar to that of the LX (bolts through rear crossmember) but is bolted through the new bumper, or am I misinterpreting that part?
It's more on top of the wings than "through" them. The Dissent hitch receiver bolts around and through the rear crossmember with a reinforcement plate on the backside. His install thread shows it pretty well I think.

I thought it was really interesting removing the common style non-integrated hitches because they are just a huge cantilever. The mounting points are way forward and out from the hitch. With the dissent piece, it's very firmly fastened very close to the load. That should help with tongue weight capacity.

It's more on top of the wings than "through" them. The Dissent hitch receiver bolts around and through the rear crossmember with a reinforcement plate on the backside. His install thread shows it pretty well I think.

Ah ok, I see now.. just went through the install thread and see how he does it. I like his bumper a lot. Looks like that will be on the agenda for later this year. Now the first world problem of Steel or Aluminum?!?

Ah ok, I see now.. just went through the install thread and see how he does it. I like his bumper a lot. Looks like that will be on the agenda for later this year. Now the first world problem of Steel or Aluminum?!?
Can't go wrong, but I will say I was amazed at how little net weight you actually add with the rear aluminum bumper if you remove a factory hitch, recovery points, spare tire holder and associated brackets.

Dissent weights in pounds (aluminum configuration):
Swing arms: 36 for both
Swing arm braces: 5
Wings: 54
Receiver: 13
Wing reinforcement: 12
Tire Carrier assy: 7 (yes, only 7 lbs)
Accessory ladder uprights: 9

OEM weights:
Bumper cover: 13
Hitch: 50
Tire Carrier: 18
Bumper bracing: 19

Net change: 36 lbs with the Dissent aluminum rear with dual swingouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom