My 80 left me stranded for the first time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We took the kid to the belgrade Christmas convoy. Went to leave and the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. No amount of wiggling, lube, rocking or banging would work. Had it towed home.
Trying to eliminate some things,
80 owners: do you hear a click when pressing the brake to release the shift lock? I'm not hearing it and wondering if that could prevent the key from turning.
I'm sure the ignition tumbler is worn but wondering if that's the only reason for a key not turning.
I need to get it running before Christmas to make our forest service cabin reservations.
Thanks for any input.

A blown brake light fuse will prevent the transmission from shifting out of park but I don't think it will prevent the truck from starting.

I've never heard a "click" when pressing the brake. That happens on our newer Grand Cherokee but not on the 80. Maybe your key is worn and not the tumbler.....Do you have a spare?

I've never heard a "click" when pressing the brake. That happens on our newer Grand Cherokee but not on the 80. Maybe your key is worn and not the tumbler.....Do you have a spare?
I tried both my keys that were Vin cut at the dealer but probably over five years old now. I'd assume both keys and tumbler are worn.

I tried both my keys that were Vin cut at the dealer but probably over five years old now. I'd assume both keys and tumbler are worn.
Polly's 80 locked me out last December and had to replace the ignition cylinder. Happened really randomly on a -10 degree day.

Tumbler most likely. They are pretty easy to defeat if needed. When they fail I use LX450 or over seas reverse cut setups. Exact fit and less failure.
640D4DF5-48DC-4739-8486-920A74C2037F.jpeg

Are the Lexus version way more expensive? Please elaborate on defeat if needed. I briefly read the key needs to turn to ACC to remove the tumbler? I can't turn it at all.
Tumbler most likely. They are pretty easy to defeat if needed. When they fail I use LX450 or over seas reverse cut setups. Exact fit and less failure. View attachment 3192322

Not sure on expense of the reverse cut. I have used sets on hand from work rigs. But definitely less failure on them.

Defeat if needed I can explain. Give me a call tomorrow. I’m leaving O dark 30 Wednesday for a bit. But in country tomorrow.

Not sure on expense of the reverse cut. I have used sets on hand from work rigs. But definitely less failure on them.

Defeat if needed I can explain. Give me a call tomorrow. I’m leaving O dark 30 Wednesday for a bit. But in country tomorrow.
Ok. I'll call at lunch or after work.

It’s worthless, you’re only hope it to toss that 80 to the dogs… I know it’s hard to do so I will volunteer to come take it off your hands.

Just curious if the brake switch is the clicking you’re hearing and if the switch failed if it would prevent start up. Some cars require brake pressure to start, my 100 does not. I’m just spitballing here.

It’s worthless, you’re only hope it to toss that 80 to the dogs… I know it’s hard to do so I will volunteer to come take it off your hands.

Just curious if the brake switch is the clicking you’re hearing and if the switch failed if it would prevent start up. Some cars require brake pressure to start, my 100 does not. I’m just spitballing here.
You'd have to fight my wife for the 80. I know you're a big dude but she's fond of it. She won't drive it but loves the places it takes us!
I've got new ignition tumbler ordered,pretty sure it will solve the problem.

I don’t want to fight your wife… I’d hate to lose! My fragile ego would never recover. You’d see me driving a Jeep by next summer, I’d be a shell of a man. You win, let’s keep the 80 running!

Please don't tell me your gonna sell it after all the hard work you've put into it!

Well, it's a combo of tumbler and rod. Not sure how to proceed from here. At least I can get the steering unlocked so I can push it into the garage.

20221217_101323.jpg

I have several 80 steering columns in a pile. They get used for destructive teaching aids. But complete and have what your looking for. I’m in town tomorrow and Wednesday only days I’m in MT till the 5th.

I have several 80 steering columns in a pile. They get used for destructive teaching aids. But complete and have what your looking for. I’m in town tomorrow and Wednesday only days I’m in MT till the 5th.
I thought you were gone. I already ordered the whole bracket/rod from ressler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom