GMRS Radio Information for the 406 Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
rightchannelradios.com
Hi All,

I wanted to quickly touch base with the group and explain a few things about GMRS radio use. I noticed in the Blue Lake email yesterday that the club is using channel 7 as the GMRS channel. Instead of channel 7, the club should use a channel between 15-22. The reason is that GMRS radios use different transmission power for different ranges of channels. For instance, channels 1-7 have a max output power of 5 watts, channels 8-14 have a max output of .5 watts, and 15-22 have a max output of 50 watts. These power outputs are programed into GMRS radios per FCC regulation. By choosing channel 7 we're limiting the range of communication as those with higher power radios cannot take advantage of the higher power transmitter. Here's a full description of the allotted power for each channel:
GMRS Radio Frequencies and Channels - https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/newsletters/gmrs-radio-frequencies-and-channels

I recommend that we choose channel 15, 467.5500 mHz, 20 kHz Bandwidth.

For the HAM guys, if you can unlock your radio and program a channel to 467.5500 mHz, that would be ideal as so we're all talking on the same channels.

If you want to be legal for GMRS, the licenses fee is $35 for one family and is good for 10 years. This is only "necessary" for those who have GMRS radios with more than 5 watts of transmission power. Here's the link for more licensing info:

Sorry I can't join you this weekend. We'll be in Cooke City as my wife is running a distance race. Have a great time and make a pinstripe for me ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom